Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I have been looking for a set of wheels for a while now as the ones on the car are bubbling on the inside causing slow punctures. I could have had them all cleaned but decided to get new.

I have just bought a set of G Spider 18" alloys (Brand new alloys with brand new tyres) from a Lexus dealer for a total cost of £530 !!!  I think Christmas has come early as I have seen the alloys on their own selling for £700 so well chuffed in buying them.

Has anyone got these on their car - any pictures ??? My car is  Cardaxon Slate 1G0 colour.

Happy Days   :yahoo:

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, is200 Newbie said:

I have been looking for a set of wheels for a while now as the ones on the car are bubbling on the inside causing slow punctures. I could have had them all cleaned but decided to get new.

I have just bought a set of G Spider 18" alloys (Brand new alloys with brand new tyres) from a Lexus dealer for a total cost of £530 !!!  I think Christmas has come early as I have seen the alloys on their own selling for £700 so well chuffed in buying them.

Has anyone got these on their car - any pictures ??? My car is  Cardaxon Slate 1G0 colour.

Happy Days   :yahoo:

Congrats on your purchase and make sure you post pics once fitted because I love those wheels!

Having said that, all 2IS wheels are a bugger for corrosion so its more than likely the G spider ones would get them too. 

Might be worth coating them to prevent it from happening with some Gtechniq C5

7 minutes ago, rayaans said:

Congrats on your purchase and make sure you post pics once fitted because I love those wheels!

Having said that, all 2IS wheels are a bugger for corrosion so its more than likely the G spider ones would get them too. 

Yes well done that is a bargain for sure. There is a couple on eBay a front and rear for about  £45.00 each used.

40 minutes ago, rayaans said:

While the wheels are new, would it be an idea to use this coating on the inner alloys?

5 minutes ago, is200 Newbie said:

Will post some pics weekend...

Any issues in replacing 17" wheels with 18" ones ?  Sensors / lights etc

No you will have no issues with anything, just make sure you allow for the wheel size. 18 inch 40 profile tyres. And well done on the find.

2 hours ago, is200 Newbie said:

While the wheels are new, would it be an idea to use this coating on the inner alloys?

Yes certainly in fact its best to do it when new because they'll be dirt free and easier to do.

The coating supposedly lasts up to 2 years so you should be set.

• Thanks 1

They got any left at this price??????

my alloys are flaking real bad on the inside surface and will need addressing soon, one way or another and £530 for new would be doable.

paul m.

Not Cadoxton Slate, but my old car was grey-ish and had these wheels...

OldCar.thumb.JPG.50eb9744abad5c5257684b15f49c6e93.JPG

Congrats on the purchase. Definitely a bargain as a decent set of tyres alone would cost about 500 quid. :smile:

Definitely try and get them coated with a sealant or wax if you want them to stay in perfect condition and make them easy to keep clean. Over the past couple of weeks I've been getting my winter wheels ready (which have never been protected with anything) and they were in a right state and took a lot of effort to clean up - especially the inner barrels.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Shahpor said:

How did you manage to score such a bargain? :smile:

I can't be sure, but this video looks like the right colour and wheels:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dF3drybTBaI

OK

So the details of the purchase: They were bought from eBay – they were actually purchased from Inchcape Toyota/Lexus in Nottingham. I was told that the alloys were purchased in 2016 by the dealer to meet the requirements of the spend required for the dealers accessories for the annual budget. They were purchased by the dealer to sell via their showroom but did not sell.

The result was that they were put up for auction a year later and hence my purchase. They were a part of a 3 set of wheels put up for auction – one was the spider wheels which I purchased, one was a set of Hoshi wheels which sold for £450ish and another for a set of Toyota Hi Ace wheels.

I picked them up today and they are spotless – a genuine bargain from eBay (for once) – alloys and Wheels. All I need to complete them is some wheel centres which I have on order.

I fitted them to the car today to get an idea of what they look like - put the car to shame as it needs a wash!! - mainly because of the distance I done today to collect them. Will get it washed tomorrow and post 'clean pics'.  Below are some of the pics I took today. I intend to get the wheels treated, probably next weekend, when the compound is delivered but for now I will run them for a week. Will fit new brake pads next weekend so an ideal time to protect the alloys.

Picture below is of the eBay listing

Wheels.thumb.jpg.434b594faa59a2e0c821b9f1333abcb8.jpg

Below are the shiny wheels on the dirty car !!1111.thumb.jpg.0ebb3b68c86c3a9066da1691841924c6.jpg

IMAG1105.thumb.jpg.d85d66fc36021d996dabd21258484443.jpg

IMAG1107.thumb.jpg.3938650adbc2648e0f4f695349033502.jpg

IMAG1108.thumb.jpg.5825049ab4b5b9bc67aa40b24395d673.jpg

Well impressed with the wheels

One question - 225 is on the front and 255 is one the rears ?

IMAG1106.jpg

• Like 2

23 hours ago, J Henderson said:

Not Cadoxton Slate, but my old car was grey-ish and had these wheels...

OldCar.thumb.JPG.50eb9744abad5c5257684b15f49c6e93.JPG

Congrats on the purchase. Definitely a bargain as a decent set of tyres alone would cost about 500 quid. :smile:

Definitely try and get them coated with a sealant or wax if you want them to stay in perfect condition and make them easy to keep clean. Over the past couple of weeks I've been getting my winter wheels ready (which have never been protected with anything) and they were in a right state and took a lot of effort to clean up - especially the inner barrels.

Spot on with what I have just bought

Yes ... I was told that they would usually cost around £1400 (alloys and tyres) I saw this set of alloys only when I checked what I bought was actually for 4 tyres as it seemed too good to be true - these alloys were listed just before the original auction finished

Cleaned today - pic below

Also went to garage to check the pressures and they were way down - have used 35 front and 38 rear - does this sound right as its the same as the 17" ones I had? It matches whats shown on the inner door regarding the tyre pressures.

IMAG1120.thumb.jpg.3852e26a26cd619fabe60a390e44502d.jpg

Personally, I would go for 255/35/r18 on the rear. Easier to get and you don't get the sidewall looking bigger at the back than the front.

The 3IS uses 225/40 r18 on the front and 255/35 r18 on the rear and sidewall is exactly the same height

• Like 1

Nice set of wheels sir.

Yep 35 front and 38 rear.

Keep a close eye on the inside edges of both fronts. You can get scary wear if the alignment is out. Tyres for these are not particularly cheap!

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/12/2017 at 3:54 PM, rayaans said:

Personally, I would go for 255/35/r18 on the rear. Easier to get and you don't get the sidewall looking bigger at the back than the front.

The 3IS uses 225/40 r18 on the front and 255/35 r18 on the rear and sidewall is exactly the same height

This is very timely advice, as I'm currently shopping for tyres for my G Spider wheels.  Are there likely to be any issues with going for this lower sidewall?  For example; will Lexus pull any faces when it goes for service with them (I have a service plan with Lexus Bolton)?

Apologies for dragging up an older thread :whistling:

I'd imagine the Lexus dealer will service your car as per normal as long as the tyres have nothing wrong with them, but they'll probably acknowledge that the sizes are non-standard (and try and sell you a pair of new ones).. In my experience, they'll even pick up on things like your car having non-OEM wiper blades and stuff.

As for any negatives going with the 35 profile tyres;

• The ride quality will probably suffer slightly
  • The speedometer will over-read and rack up miles at an accelerated rate
  • The smaller tyre will create an unsightly gap between wheel & arch

None of which is especially critical, and on the plus side you can choose from a wider range of tyres at lower prices. The car will also feel more lively when pulling away from rest (because of the smaller overall diameter), but you could consider 245/40R18 instead. It's not quite as popular as 255/35, but there's plenty of tyre choices available and it has a minimal effect on how the car looks and performs. I currently have 245/40s on the rear of my car.

• Like 1