Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi everyone, I'm thinking of adding a fuel additive to my IS 250 auto. Do these actually work. If so what's a good one to use if want to use it to clean carbons from the engine as the 250 apparently suffers from cabin build up.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

This is my prefered cleaner addative for petrol engines. I use the diesel version on the Lexus and the OT100 for the wifes car petrol car, seems to work wonders added every 3k and seems to keep things sweet!.  EuroCarparts was my source and wait for the discount offers they run.  There will be lots of variations as we all have our favorites as well as those members who dont see any benefit, but, works for us :-)

NOR2897371.jpg

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, kellogsj said:

Hi everyone, I'm thinking of adding a fuel additive to my IS 250 auto. Do these actually work. If so what's a good one to use if want to use it to clean carbons from the engine as the 250 apparently suffers from cabin build up.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Redex is an old favorite of many. I do not think we get the carbon build up, as much as the americans. Our fuel is a higher grade hence why the usa got full engine

rebuilds. 87 to 93 or 95 i believe.

• Like 1

This is my prefered cleaner addative for petrol engines. I use the diesel version on the Lexus and the OT100 for the wifes car petrol car, seems to work wonders added every 3k and seems to keep things sweet!.  EuroCarparts was my source and wait for the discount offers they run.  There will be lots of variations as we all have our favorites as well as those members who dont see any benefit, but, works for us :-)
NOR2897371.jpg

How much does this cost

Redex is an old favorite of many. I do not think we get the carbon build up, as much as the americans. Our fuel is a higher grade hence why the usa got full engine
rebuilds. 87 to 93 or 95 i believe.

Have you ever used any additives in yours.

I've used additives once or twice on older 100k+ mile cars that I've picked up. Redex iirc and Cataclean. Their claims are largely nonsense but don't do any harm. My logic is that I buy a car with 120,000 miles, run something through the tank and then just use decent quality petrol.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kellogsj said:

Did you notice any gains, smoother acceleration etc.

My car is run on quality fuel all the time. Does cataclean work yes, i know plenty of people who have failed emission test put this in the tank and pass.

Like i say i never put supper market fuel in my cars. I have run on shell super duper and did not rate it at all. Other will say its awesome, so its what you believe in.

All fuels have addatives in them detergents and the likes. There is loads of different fuel addative, Normski likes a certain brand and really rates it. Archoil i believe??

• Like 2

I've used additives once or twice on older 100k+ mile cars that I've picked up. Redex iirc and Cataclean. Their claims are largely nonsense but don't do any harm. My logic is that I buy a car with 120,000 miles, run something through the tank and then just use decent quality petrol.

The car only has 52k on the clock. So I'm thinking its not really worry it at the moment.

My car is run on quality fuel all the time. Does cataclean work yes, i know plenty of people who have failed emission test put this in the tank and pass.
Like i say i never put supper market fuel in my cars. I have run on shell super duper and did not rate it at all. Other will say its awesome, so its what you believe in.
All fuels have addatives in them detergents and the likes. There is loads of different fuel addative, Normski likes a certain brand and really rates it. Archoil i believe??

I use the fuel from Costco which is supposed to be as good as any major brand and better than the supermarket stuff. I've tried v-power and noticed no difference at all compared to the Costco stuff. How many miles is on your 250.

7 minutes ago, kellogsj said:

I use the fuel from Costco which is supposed to be as good as any major brand and better than the supermarket stuff. I've tried v-power and noticed no difference at all compared to the Costco stuff. How many miles is on your 250.

Just under 60,000 miles runs like a dream . Spark plugs have been done, and seems to be getting stupid mpg under mainly town driving. Heated seats air con on 

car left to warm up before i finish work in early hours. I average 28 ish most of the time.

55 minutes ago, kellogsj said:

How much does this cost

Right now using "WEEKEND35" code this is £4.48 @ Eurocarparts 

paul m.

Just under 60,000 miles runs like a dream . Spark plugs have been done, and seems to be getting stupid mpg under mainly town driving. Heated seats air con on 
car left to warm up before i finish work in early hours. I average 28 ish most of the time.

I've just had mine serviced plus spark plugs. It's running beautifully at the moment. It only has 52k on the clock. Bought all the genuine lexus bits for service myself plus the oil from lexus liverpool. The oil was on offer for £17.99 fully synthetic 5W 30.

6 hours ago, kellogsj said:

The car only has 52k on the clock. So I'm thinking its not really worry it at the moment.

I'd say you're wasting your time...

...but...

...sometimes you get an itch to do something to your car, something easy that just won't go away :biggrin:

Get yourself to Halfords or ECP, buy some stuff, put it in the tank, that's that crossed off the list! It won't do any harm.

• Like 1

I've used Redex Fuel System Cleaner a few times. Tesco tend to have it on sale now and again for £2 a bottle and that's when I'll buy it.

Supposedly it "SAVES FUEL" but I can't say I've noticed anything. No adverse effects though, so I'm prepared to waste £2 once in a while.

• Like 3

I'd say you're wasting your time...
...but...
...sometimes you get an itch to do something to your car, something easy that just won't go away :biggrin:
Get yourself to Halfords or ECP, buy some stuff, put it in the tank, that's that crossed off the list! It won't do any harm.

I'll think I'll try something to see what happens.

I've used Redex Fuel System Cleaner a few times. Tesco tend to have it on sale now and again for £2 a bottle and that's when I'll buy it.
Supposedly it "SAVES FUEL" but I can't say I've noticed anything. No adverse effects though, so I'm prepared to waste £2 once in a while.

That's worth £2 of anyone's Money. Do you drive an F.

This is the newest pic I have. Got my winter wheels on it now though. I'll take some pics of it wearing them at some point this week.
071117-1.thumb.jpg.9bf87ba242e149e0e3db4ac2815b4247.jpg
What colour is yours? :smile:

It's a beauty that. What reg? Mines blue.

• Like 1

Nice. The blue ones look great. :thumbsup: I was going to pull the trigger on a blue one from Lexus Glasgow last year before I got this, but it was snapped up right away.

My car is on an "11" plate. (first reg:April 2011)

Mines an 11 plate too. I've just had service done and plugs done. It's running brilliant. It was beforehand. What do you make of the car overall. I've only ever driven 2 cars. Both 250's. I've had it for 18 months. d95d42cb749f7825a6abaa394362f4b5.jpg

• Like 2

Only ever used shell nitro on the 250. It has all the additives needed to keep the system clean and the added bonus of 99 Ron which the 250 seems to love. It really does perform better on high octane  petrol in my opinion due to the engines high compression ratio. 

• Like 1