Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Mettalic rattling over speed bumps / rough surface

Hi All,

My year old is200t is making rattling sounds from what seems like the driver side rear when going over speed bumps slowly or rough surfaces, it is almost like a stone tattling in a tin can.

It doesn't seem any louder with the windows down. I took the car to the dealer and they had it up on the ramps and said the only thing they found was some gravel in one of the belly pans under the car.

Any ideas? I could take it to the dealer again but that's a hours drive and a day off work.

Thanks

Barry

2 hours ago, barryb said:

Hi All,

My year old is200t is making rattling sounds from what seems like the driver side rear when going over speed bumps slowly or rough surfaces, it is almost like a stone tattling in a tin can.

It doesn't seem any louder with the windows down. I took the car to the dealer and they had it up on the ramps and said the only thing they found was some gravel in one of the belly pans under the car.

Any ideas? I could take it to the dealer again but that's a hours drive and a day off work.

Thanks

Barry

Loose change dropped somewhere or a loose undercover would spring to mind but other than that, it could pretty much be anything.

My previous IS300H had a detached TPM sensor floating around in the tyre.

No other problems apart from a rattling at slow speed & quiet when moving presumably once centrifugal force took over.  

Took me ages to work out what it was.

Lexus fixed it for free:winkiss:

Thanks guys, my car doesn't have the low pressure sensor fitted, weirdly it doesn't seem to rattle in reversing out of the garage.

May try some reverse speed bump action lol

1 hour ago, barryb said:

Thanks guys, my car doesn't have the low pressure sensor fitted

I thought all new cars had them??  Good luck with locating it. Update the post when you do!! 

if your comfortable with removing panels i would strip the boot panels out so you can get your hand in all the 

out of reach places and feel for anything loose.

Can someone sit in the back, perhaps put one of the seats down to see if they can pinpoint the area of the noise. I guess you have checked its not the rear seats / seat belts and have had the contents of the boot out. 

With most Lexus rattles / creaks people simply return it to the dealer under warranty and let them sort it. You might have to be be slightly insistent that they do actually do a proper job in looking for the rattle rather than fob you off. 

• Thanks 1

• 5 years later...

Same issue with mine, going to remove the undertray below, tapped it and there are loads of stones rattling around in it.

Screenshot_20230601_211553_Chrome.jpg