Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Which to choose

I've often wondered about this parking ding thing. I'm a bit funny about where I park my car, always have been, drives my wife nuts at times because we often end up parking further away from where we need to go. I've often wondered whether the thought, and therefore risk, of someone dinging the car is much worse than the frequency of it happening. I wonder whether I'm just being stupid and at the end of the day it's a car and over say 3 years it's bound to pick up a ding or two. Just wish I was less bothered about this sort of thing really, life would be easier and my wife would be happier! I'm certainly thinking pretty seriously about getting an RX450h though.

• Like 1

On 12/5/2017 at 9:06 AM, Eame64 said:

I seemed to have been doing that with my cars forever rayaans but we all know there's always one isn't  there who will always decide to park right next to you ever how many spaces there are.

Very true - although I also think its true that those who tend to park further away tend to be more careful with their cars. I went to Tesco the other day and parked at the very end of the car park and there was no other car there. I came back to find a very nice 17 plate C63 parked next to me and a Jaguar XE which looked like it'd just been polished. Both had left plenty of space for doors to open as well. 

1 hour ago, paulrnx said:

I've often wondered about this parking ding thing. I'm a bit funny about where I park my car, always have been, drives my wife nuts at times because we often end up parking further away from where we need to go. I've often wondered whether the thought, and therefore risk, of someone dinging the car is much worse than the frequency of it happening. I wonder whether I'm just being stupid and at the end of the day it's a car and over say 3 years it's bound to pick up a ding or two. Just wish I was less bothered about this sort of thing really, life would be easier and my wife would be happier! I'm certainly thinking pretty seriously about getting an RX450h though.

Welcome to the world of OCD. 

Im not worried about my car getting damaged for example kerbing the wheels - i try my best to make sure it doesn't happen though. I would be more comfortable if I got an edge chip through myself being careless than if I found a ding in my door from someone else hitting it.

it seriously infuriates me when its someone else that damages my car - they don't have that right, only I do! 

Once got back to my car, which I'd left with no cars around it, to find a mum had parked next to it and had one rear door open and resting on the side of the car while she squeezed in to sort out her child. I had a small scrape on the car. She didn't see the problem. Why she hadn't just parked one space along so she could open the doors more easily...

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, paulrnx said:

We tend to take my wife's Mini whenever we go shopping to avoid this sort of thing. Of course we then have to make sure we don't buy any big things! :smile:

Same here, it's the wife's Yaris that goes to Tesco but, I still try to park away from other cars if possible.  Wifey always moans about the distance to walk though!

26 minutes ago, bluenose1940 said:

Same here, it's the wife's Yaris that goes to Tesco but, I still try to park away from other cars if possible.  Wifey always moans about the distance to walk though!

I drop her off at the door (my wife that is, not yours!) and then go and park. A compromise that she is happy with. Also, by the time I've parked she's already started the shopping which reduces my time in the shop!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Hi guys, after much deliberation on which model to choose I finally ordered a Luxury with powered tailgate to be delivered hopefully in January. It'll be my first Lexus, first Hybrid along with my first post on the forum.  Downsizing from a Touareg to what appears to be a better built car.

If anybody has suggestions on what in particular to look out for when I take delivery at the handover, I'd much appreciate your thoughts, because sometimes you can be bombarded with a myriad of information, and miss important points.

Having read the thread about the manuals for the car, am I correct in thinking that I will not receive the full comprehensive hard copy manuals.

It's been interesting to read many of the threads, and with luck I'll learn something here !

I've always been more concerned with bodywork, wheels and tyres. Being a new car, all should be ok but I check them nonetheless. I stand at the front on each side and look up the side of the car looking for dents/dings/blemishes. I do the same from the rear looking back along the side towards the front. Two keys. Full documentation set - should be in a black pack. Ask the sales person to talk you through what docs you should get. You should have a warranty booklet, a service book, a (car) user guide, a satnav user guide and maybe 1 or 2 others. Handover should be good, never had a bad one from a Lexus dealership. Check the invoice matches the details you signed for when you agreed to buy the car, ie the new car order form you signed. Just make sure the numbers are the same. Make sure you take the things along that they ask you to bring on day of collection, especially if part-exing something. Make sure you are getting a new model year NX, there may well be some old model NX's still out there. I'm afraid I can't tell you how to spot the two models but there is a thread on here about the new model year differences. It would be a shame to pay all that money and get an old model year new one and not a model year 2018 model. Unless you've done a good deal on one of the last models of course. The differences are slight and both would still be new cars but I think I'd prefer the slightly updated model if I was collecting in January 2018. Personally, I wouldn't bother checking that everything worked, I'd trust Lexus manufacturing and the dealership checking everything. Get your phone connected before driving off - normally they'll take you through this. Also set your home destination in the satnav if fitted, again they'll normally do this. Finally, look out for any kamikaze pilots on the way home to make sure no one prangs it when it is still shiny and very new!!! :wink3:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for that Paul, same for me bodywork, wheels and trim is where I start. Just wondering about little nuances that might get missed in the handover.

It's the 2018 model,  most of the dealers have been very straightforward when I've enquired and if it's been a pre facelift they've been honest about it. Sadly one dealer cast aspersions on other Lexus dealers who have offers on genuine facelift 2018 NX's, trying to make out the other dealers are lying and are selling unregistered pre-facelift cars. Most new car dealers I've dealt with in recent years seem to have realised that buyers now do research  and know exactly what prices they can achieve and px trade values. And mainly thanks to the internet  we are far more savvy than we probably were years ago !

While I think about it the DAB radio is not that intuitive so possibly worth setting up some stations in memory as part of the handover. Go through how to find different stations - you have to select a different ensemble. If you don't know this it can appear that the car won't find any DAB stations if set to an ensemble where there are no stations within reach. An ensemble is BBC National, BBC Local, Local, etc. I haven't yet taken delivery of any car that had exactly the right tyre pressures set so I normally check these myself at home under the right conditions. Then reset the TPMS to register the new pressures.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, paulrnx said:

While I think about it the DAB radio is not that intuitive so possibly worth setting up some stations in memory as part of the handover. Go through how to find different stations - you have to select a different ensemble. If you don't know this it can appear that the car won't find any DAB stations if set to an ensemble where there are no stations within reach. An ensemble is BBC National, BBC Local, Local, etc. I haven't yet taken delivery of any car that had exactly the right tyre pressures set so I normally check these myself at home under the right conditions. Then reset the TPMS to register the new pressures.

^^ +1 for the DAB advice. I thought the system couldn't find many stations for ages...but it was just understanding how it worked. Not intuitive at first, but easy when you know how. Ask the dealer to show you.

On ‎27‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 2:30 PM, paulrnx said:

Thanks Paul and Ed, Dab will certainly be added to my check list, on my current Touareg the DAB has always been a pain trying to set it up. I've had tyre pressure problems on previous new car deliveries so I'll get them to go through pressures and the monitor system.

Current disappointment is that delivery has been put back to March, but at least it will be on an eighteen plate. Eventually decided on Luxury in Mercury/Ivory with the convenience pack. I'll let you know when she arrives, I'm chomping at the bit already.

• Like 1

On 12/31/2017 at 5:33 PM, First_Lexus said:

Mercury Grey is by far the best colour for the NX - good choice!

I'm not biased. No sir. Not me...:biggrin:

Well not much anyway... :wink3:

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Obviously, I'm commenting far too late as you'll have your new car by now.......I hope you're enjoying it. :smile:

One thing I would have asked the dealer about is how to programme the satnav by voice. I can do the other things by voice (mostly) but we can't get past a particular step which seems to confuse city with country (from memory - I gave up trying weeks ago).

I might try and video the problem to see if any of you experienced boffins can help. My dealer's not too local.