Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Reading text messages and emails

I'm beginning to wish I never asked this question! Am getting really confused. I'm a bit of a luddite when it comes to technology. Apparently I've got a nexus 6p phone and I don't seem to be able to do what I want. Haven't a clue if it's a phone or car problem. Am beginning to think I wish I had kids!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Ala Larj said:

I'm beginning to wish I never asked this question! Am getting really confused. I'm a bit of a luddite when it comes to technology. Apparently I've got a nexus 6p phone and I don't seem to be able to do what I want. Haven't a clue if it's a phone or car problem. Am beginning to think I wish I had kids!

Alan, it doesn't matter whether you're a 'bit of a luddite' or whether you're a tech genius. It's a damn car, not a PC. It should just work, and technical knowledge should not be necessary to get it to perform properly.

Sadly, car manufacturers still insist on designing their own ridiculous, convoluted systems with abysmally un-ergonomic interfaces running tragically outdated protocols (Bluetooth DUN? Seriously?) instead of providing a dumb terminal that simply provides a screen, speakers and microphone to mirror whatever smartphone is plugged into it. Lexus is by no means the only offender here, although they definitely plumb the deepest depths of unintuitive interfaces!

I agree Jay about it being a car and not a PC and to be honest wish it, or any other car come to that, should have this kind of connectivity. I believe the onset of mobile phones etc has made the roads more dangerous as people don't seem to concentrate on the road anymore!

Indeed. Every day I seem to pass at least one moron hunched down, eyes completely averted from the road, tapping away at what I can only assume is a screen on their lap. 

The facility to read out received texts (and perhaps dictate replies), hands-free, would surely be a safer option.

26 minutes ago, Ten Ninety said:

It should just work, and technical knowledge should not be necessary to get it to perform properly.

To be fair my phone did just connect & work!! 

33 minutes ago, Ten Ninety said:

Indeed. Every day I seem to pass at least one moron hunched down, eyes completely averted from the road, tapping away at what I can only assume is a screen on their lap. 

The facility to read out received texts (and perhaps dictate replies), hands-free, would surely be a safer option.

To be honest I don't particularly think hands free is safe on today's congested roads!

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm. My OnePlus3 (Android) phone and 2012 GS450h Premier work fine together and unlike Capase 21 I just get messages shown and, if I want, read out. I don't really understand about the BlueDUN app. How exactly does one request that it looks for shops etc? Buy using the remote touch or voice command? Sounds clever if it in some way communicates the answers to the navigation. I'm pretty certain i can enable shops to be shown on the navigation without a mobile phone connected if I fiddle in the menu settings but it won't just give Tesco.

2 minutes ago, Lexus4Me? said:

How exactly does one request that it looks for shops etc?

It uses the Google search function in the nav screen menu. (needs a data connection to work)  Type anything into Google & if it finds it it transfers the coordinates and navigates you to it. Basic but useful at times.

Thank you Eduado,

4 hours ago, capese21 said:

It uses the Google search function in the nav screen menu. (needs a data connection to work)  Type anything into Google & if it finds it it transfers the coordinates and navigates you to it. Basic but useful at times.

When you say type anything into Google may I assume you mean on one's mobile phone not using the Lexus remote touch? I'm not sure whether to try it because if I have to use the phone for entry I'm inclined to use it for navigation too. I've found a nice little clip that holds the phone just above the instrument cowl, but I don't intend to do data entry while I'm moving! Having said that I remember that it is possible to instruct Google by voice, although I don't seem to be able to do so effectively while driving. I suspect it is background noise (Yes, even in a Lexus hybrid!) - if only I could use the car's voice control to work the phone!

I couldn't agree with Ten Ninety more. Have a screen for controlling aspects of the car (although direct control through a switch or a knob would be better) and another screen for all the things a modern smart phone can do - navigation, texts etc. controlled by voice. When I suggest two screens they could be the same physical screen toggling between the two uses or the same screen split to accommodate them both at once

On 17/11/2017 at 7:19 PM, Ten Ninety said:

Alan, it doesn't matter whether you're a 'bit of a luddite' or whether you're a tech genius. It's a damn car, not a PC. It should just work, and technical knowledge should not be necessary to get it to perform properly.

Sadly, car manufacturers still insist on designing their own ridiculous, convoluted systems with abysmally un-ergonomic interfaces running tragically outdated protocols (Bluetooth DUN? Seriously?) instead of providing a dumb terminal that simply provides a screen, speakers and microphone to mirror whatever smartphone is plugged into it. Lexus is by no means the only offender here, although they definitely plumb the deepest depths of unintuitive interfaces!

12 minutes ago, Lexus4Me? said:

When you say type anything into Google may I assume you mean on one's mobile phone not using the Lexus remote touch?

No use the car joy pad & use the Google icon in on the Nav Screen. No touching the phone screen. You do have to install & Blue DUN app though.

5 minutes ago, capese21 said:

No use the car joy pad & use the Google icon in on the Nav Screen. No touching the phone screen. You do have to install & Blue DUN app though.

Ah, thank you again Edwardo, in that case it seems worthwhile to give the BlueDUN month's free trial app a try. If I get any success I'll post it here.