Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Underneath the Arches - Rust prevention

Today I changed the oil and filter on my car and since at the last Lexus service they mentioned the rear pads were 60% worn and that was 6K miles ago I'd bought a replacement set and thought I'd take a look at them and changed them as a precaution.

While I was under the car I noticed quite a build up of mud and detritus particularly sitting on the inside lip of the rear arches. 

Obviously over time this traps moisture and promotes corrosion so may I suggest that the next time you are washing your car that you run your fingers under the lip of the rear wheel arches and check if they're trapping mud.

Mine will be cleaned out regularly from now on.

• Like 2

Oh no, the days of me crawling underneath cars and covering myself in Waxoyl are well and truly over. 40 quid and done by my friendly local mechanic. He could get it up on a lift and do a much more thorough job.

I was aware that my '02 IS had lived a pampered garage life but now lives out on the street. I didn't want it starting to deteriorate in my care. I'll probably still check the arches again myself shortly but at least I know everywhere else is done and done well.

• Like 3