Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

4RX450 Blue illuminated scuff plates

Hi everyone 

on my old rx400h I had scuff door plates that were illuminated and I currently run the f sport with premier pack but I do miss the light emanating from the scuff plates.

So firstly I contacted my dealer and they quoted my a staggering £659 for a pair😟

Now they are on UK eBay for just over £400 a pair.

but my question to you guys is, anyone here in the UK done this upgrade as I was going to pull one of my plates up and see it those can just be fitted with a BLUE backlight (I haven't checked yet).

i believe all the power connections are already underneath the scuff plate so it's just plug and play.

by the way I can HIGHLY recommend changing the reverse bulbs to LED type bulbs as it makes a massive difference reversing in the Dark nights now, but quick fix you can do👍🏻

1 hour ago, goody said:

Hi everyone 

on my old rx400h I had scuff door plates that were illuminated and I currently run the f sport with premier pack but I do miss the light emanating from the scuff plates.

So firstly I contacted my dealer and they quoted my a staggering £659 for a pair😟

Now they are on UK ebay for just over £400 a pair.

but my question to you guys is, anyone here in the UK done this upgrade as I was going to pull one of my plates up and see it those can just be fitted with a BLUE backlight (I haven't checked yet).

i believe all the power connections are already underneath the scuff plate so it's just plug and play.

by the way I can HIGHLY recommend changing the reverse bulbs to LED type bulbs as it makes a massive difference reversing in the Dark nights now, but quick fix you can do👍🏻

Paul, you refer to reverse bulbs, does the RX have one or two reversing lights?

2 minutes ago, goody said:

My car has two reverse lights one each side, has transformed the view from the camera👍🏻

I've justed spotted that you have a 2016 model, is that the 4th gen version.  I am looking at the 3rd gen and so might be different.  I've only got one on my IS, stupid idea really!

Ok so you've got me intrigued now, so just taken off my scuff plate.

the "LEXUS" script is in black so sadly not translucent so no light can pass through.

so I bet lexus don't just sell the steel lexus plate in translucent variety??

if they do it looks easy to fit an LED blue strip light underneath the steel plate.

the electrical connector is their ready.

The steel LEXUS plate is just double sided sticky taped down with small black clips keeping it in place within the black plastic scuff surround.

see pictures attached, just drimmel cut a small section and scraped off the double sided sticker from beneath to make sure no light could pass through👎🏻

If we could just get the BLACK "Lexus" section replaced with a translucent "lexus" it would be so so easy to fit the lights passing through.

anyone know if that's possible, as £400 on eBay as it just a "blue light" it would greave me to pay that for a light😨IMG_3145.thumb.JPG.3fbd7a050d5ccc8ecb41eea913763f8e.JPGIMG_3144.thumb.JPG.9e1d319aa4c162d25dc11f8fcecc84d8.JPGIMG_3143.thumb.JPG.aeb77e01c2e612005fba4be866170a74.JPG

11 minutes ago, bluenose1940 said:

I've justed spotted that you have a 2016 model, is that the 4th gen version.  I am looking at the 3rd gen and so might be different.  I've only got one on my IS, stupid idea really!

Yes 4th generation 

The blue illuminated ones are for the 3rd Gen RX on eBay and won't fit a 4th gen RX as the sill covers are in different places and are a different shape. The 4RX has rectangular shaped covers whereas the 3RX has a trapezoidal shape

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lexus-OEM-Factory-Illuminated-Door-Sills-2pc-set-2016-17-RX350-PT944-48160-20/331835600067?hash=item4d42f16cc3:g:Sn8AAOSwKfVXFkeQ#shpCntId

Ships from US and is cheaper but its white light.

And no, Lexus dont sell the translucent plate

Shame about the translucent plates not being available.

so the eBay link is for an rx350??

is that the USA version of a UK generation 4 RX450 as a little confused as picture on listing does not look square type?

or am I being a bit thick, as a newbie 

7 minutes ago, goody said:

Shame about the translucent plates not being available.

so the ebay link is for an rx350??

is that the USA version of a UK generation 4 RX450 as a little confused as picture on listing does not look square type?

or am I being a bit thick, as a newbie 

Yes, 2016-2017 RX350. Its because of the engine difference but the part itself is the same

Ive taken a look at another link of the same item. It appears that they just send the whole plastic piece with the sill cover already inside.

It should fit though

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lexus-RX350-2016-2017-OEM-Genuine-Stainless-ILLUMINATED-DOOR-SILLS-Black/111822580432?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D49138%26meid%3D316460a80bac4e7baa71eeec9c37d410%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D3%26sd%3D331835600067&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m2219

What utterly ridiculous prices for such a simple thing!

Take your existing metal plate to a sheet metal fabricators and ask them to make a new plate to the same dimensions and to also laser cut the lettering. Then glue a small, thin piece of opaque perspex (from eBay/Homebase/B&Q) on the back side to allow the light through - simples!

Or, a variation on the theme:

get them to cut the oblong out of the new plate, put the opaque perspex on the back side, then use some 'Blue Peter-type' sticky-backed plastic to copy the lettering onto the perspex. I'm too warm and cosy to go out and look at my RX300 to see if it's the 'LEXUS' that lights up or the surround that lights up, but this should start you thinking about a cheap alternative way of making your own plates.

Or even just take your own existing plates and get them to laser cut the lettering then do the thing with the perspex.

Thanks for the replies, just an update after Lexus quoted me £659 for a pair, whilst in for its 10K service today and having winter tyres fitted I get an email from the service manager see below.so I ring him back and say yes please 😀 £200 plus VAT fitted.

very happy with their customer service also as we had a loan NX300 dropped off as a loan whilst they had our car, which they collected and brought back to our home round trip 85 miles away.

also got them to change the colour of panoramic view car from grey on the display to our colour "Blue" and new rear door seals FOC under warranty. Apart from that the car has been faultless 👍🏻

Good morning Mr G---------

We have a set of side plates in stock that we removed from a showroom vehicle before it was sold.

I can offer these to you at a drastically reduced price. Please would you call me and I can discuss the deal?

If you are busy this morning, Email me back if you get the message first.

Kind regards

IMG_3151.JPG

• Like 1

On 11/21/2017 at 5:17 PM, goody said:

Thanks for the replies, just an update after Lexus quoted me £659 for a pair, whilst in for its 10K service today and having winter tyres fitted I get an email from the service manager see below.so I ring him back and say yes please 😀 £200 plus VAT fitted.

very happy with their customer service also as we had a loan NX300 dropped off as a loan whilst they had our car, which they collected and brought back to our home round trip 85 miles away.

also got them to change the colour of panoramic view car from grey on the display to our colour "Blue" and new rear door seals FOC under warranty. Apart from that the car has been faultless 👍🏻

Good morning Mr G---------

We have a set of side plates in stock that we removed from a showroom vehicle before it was sold.

I can offer these to you at a drastically reduced price. Please would you call me and I can discuss the deal?

If you are busy this morning, Email me back if you get the message first.

Kind regards

IMG_3151.JPG

Good stuff but I think I prefer the standard ones - think they suit the sporty theme better on the F-Sport models.

What happened to your rear door seals? Mine are fine and its a 2016 model.