Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

RC facelift heading our way?

I am currently about to change my car (Audi A5) and was in the advanced stages of buying an RC300H. I popped into a Lexus dealer here in the North today and asked, before I went ahead, was it true that there was a face lifted RC on the horizon. First answer was no but then he checked with the dealer principal who said that he understood there was one arriving in Spring 2018, anyone know about this, as it may make me hold off until Spring instead of buying last of he old shape.

cheers

Andy C

In Spring 2018 I doubt, but Autumn 2018, maybe Spring 2019 is more likely. 

To be honest RC now cries for Face lift and I would say it is tough choice otherwise. For example ACC/PCS is almost standard on IS300h 2017, but RC300h doesn't even have that as an option (unless Premier). There are other little bits where IS300h face lift bites and RC300h options now looks little bit non-competitive. Considering that RC300h costs ~£7000 more and is worse equipped it makes sense Lexus should try to match at least the level of IS300h in near future.

Simple answer is yes. 

Cosmetic changes mainly to bumpers, lights and grills. 

Interior will get the IS facelift style centre console which is inset rather than outset and of course, the 10" screen. Apart from that, not much going to change.

Thanks for your replies, sounds logical - saw a video of the face lifted RC on YouTube earlier which is set for US market (RC350) and it looks very different, I'd say even the side body panels and boot look more angular, maybe we won't see this version? If we do I will wait for the new version😃

Well.. we will not get RC350 as otherwise I would be first in the line to get it, but face lift itself is comming at some point. However, no mention of any changes in body panels (maybe it is just a way colour reflects under light conditions) - all changes purely cosmetic, few new colours, better equipment options on par with IS:

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2018-lexus-rc-in-depth-model-review

The model in the video looks like the 2015 model, with front fogs (now deleted)

The Rc200t has been dropped already from the UK range. Not available on the UK website.

Not sure any of the linked info is EU focussed, all US specs

20 hours ago, AndyCLexus said:

If that's the 2015 model then I want one😃

I think it's quite different from the current model but then I'm no expert on the RC

Basically its one and only RC - there's no change in body.

It does look more angular but thats because of the heavy lighting.

If you're leasing and need to offload the A5, I wouldn't bother waiting as it won't make a difference in price. If you're a private buyer and don't need to get rid of the A5 until when you want to, then I would probably hold out for the facelift. Same discounts as currently would apply i.e. £3-4k off new

• Like 1

A facelift for the RC300h in Europe along the lines of the very minimal one for the 2018 U.S. RC350 model would be premature insofar 

as it would not boost sales or prolong market life or, in most cases, cause the present version to lose its bloom in the eyes of its owners

or attract a lesser number of admiring glances from third parties.  This is not to say that a decision to go ahead with the facelift would

be too surprising since any slowing of sales from inventories of the current version resulting from it would be unlikely to represent a

serious financial loss for the company.

Thanks for the replies.

One thing I should have mentioned was that I talked to another Lexus dealer to see  what was in national stock and there were only 2 available in my preferred spec and he said he wasn’t able to place a factory order which indicated that production of current model had possibly ceased.

• Like 1

On 11/20/2017 at 8:41 AM, AndyCLexus said:

Thanks for the replies.

One thing I should have mentioned was that I talked to another Lexus dealer to see  what was in national stock and there were only 2 available in my preferred spec and he said he wasn’t able to place a factory order which indicated that production of current model had possibly ceased.

Thats BS, they can put in a factory order until the new model has atleast been shown

They probably have a secondary agenda - ie get rid of their stock models first

Latest news on the RC facelift/update

I spoke with a local dealer earlier as I am debating whether to go for an RC or an Audi A5. I had said before that dealers couldn't order a new car in current shape and someone said that was not the case, but today I was talking to another dealer who has been pursuing me since I did a carwow quotation and he showed me the new larger multimedia screen currently in the NX and LC and actually said he could now place an order for the updated RC, sounds like just a refreshed MMI system, icons along the bottom versus them dotted across the screen in a grid.

Apparently, if I order now I would be taking delivery Mar-Apr so there you have it

• Like 1

Andrew did the dealer show you some pictures? Can you get some would love to see them.

For me thesame decision upcoming. Have to change my IS and the RC is on the shoppinglist.

when will the facelifted RC hit the showroom? is that March/April? 

The dealer didn’t have any pictures but he said he understood it would just be an updated MMI system as fitted to latest NX and he sent me a video demo. He said if I ordered Dec he would expect delivery around March. Have you been happy with your IS and the hybrid system, has it been good on mpg?

6 hours ago, AndyCLexus said:

Latest news on the RC facelift/update

I spoke with a local dealer earlier as I am debating whether to go for an RC or an Audi A5. I had said before that dealers couldn't order a new car in current shape and someone said that was not the case, but today I was talking to another dealer who has been pursuing me since I did a carwow quotation and he showed me the new larger multimedia screen currently in the NX and LC and actually said he could now place an order for the updated RC, sounds like just a refreshed MMI system, icons along the bottom versus them dotted across the screen in a grid.

Apparently, if I order now I would be taking delivery Mar-Apr so there you have it

The facelift RC hasn't been released and orders usually take place a few months after released to the public. 

The RC doesn't have a 4-5 month waiting list so what he's saying doesn't make sense. 

Additionally,  current cars are made until the facelift is released which would be in January if they're having March deliveries on the facelift. 

Their story doesn't add up at all as you can't order these cars before they're released anyway. 

Also its more likely that the RC will get the IS screen rather than the NX one.

And I forgot to say that the 2018 model year RC was updated in the US 2 months ago with engine changes that the UK won't get. The US typically get deliveries and info much earlier than we do. 

I genuinely think the dealers dont know what theyre talking about or certainly have their timelines screwed.

For reference,  when enquiring about the new RX a day after US release the dealers gave me a price of £69995 - the price of a GS F when it came out. I'd take dealers with a huge pinch of salt.

On 28-11-2017 at 8:54 PM, AndyCLexus said:

The dealer didn’t have any pictures but he said he understood it would just be an updated MMI system as fitted to latest NX and he sent me a video demo. He said if I ordered Dec he would expect delivery around March. Have you been happy with your IS and the hybrid system, has it been good on mpg?

yes i love it and that creates another problem! My car is a leaser that has to go every 3 years and in some 6 months time is up. Thing is i find it such a nice car to be in that i dread going back to a non hybrid. So that limits the choice somewhat.. I would like to stay with lexus ( this is my 2nd) as it just "fits" if that makes sense. So could be an NX or and LC, or, even another IS although that would be an all time first as i never bought thesame car twice. testdrives will have to tell the truth. Will the weaker engine in the NX be an issue. Is the 2 door impracticality of the RC going to mean trouble?  I will also take the new alfa Stelvio for a spin but i dont think it will be thesame experience. 

what i like most about the IS300H F-Sport is the feeling that it is something special, not just traffic like most of the competitors. I like the CVT box ( never thought i would say that!) as it is silky smooth in town, brings rest in the cabin and secures very low revs on the highway. Like the silence of electric propulsion in town, like the on/off feeling at trafficlights. Power is enough for me, just ignore the 0 - 60 times as if find that irrelevant in daily driving. In town accelleration is 0-45/50 max and in that you will be up there with the 10% fastest cars for sure with revs not higher than 4000 rpm. Highway cruising no problem up to very illegal speeds, smooth stable ride great chassis and gorgeous looks. ( The RC even has drop dead gorgeous looks!). Fuel  around 6.5 ltr/km dont know how much mpg that is but i find that very acceptable for a heavy 4 door petrol car!  Anyway you get the picture that i am a very satisfied driver do you? 

hope you will have thesame experience as i have, keep us posted! and pics please..

On 28/11/2017 at 7:54 PM, AndyCLexus said:

Just to confirm, had a long chat with my dealer regarding this -

Orders can still be put through as the car is still being made. He thinks the facelift may be showed off at end of January for June deliveries but no confirmation yet. As of now, the RC current gen is still being made and shipped from Japan

I have been in dialogue with quite a few dealers over last 7-14 days as I have been trying to do a deal on the RC models which are currently available from the Lexus UK pool so to speak, already spec'd up. Anyway, there were about 3 brand new ones, mainly RCF Sports in either red, blue or black but one thing I learned speaking to a sales guy last Fri 1-Dec was that he said the ordering system wouldn't allow him to order an RC without premium nav which indicates changes are indeed afoot, certainly in the spec. I was also unable to get a good deal on the one I did fancy, seems 2-3K discount is the max, when I can get 6-7K off a new Audi A5 with similar RRP. So the difference to swap for an A5 was 20K or 26K for an RC. I think I will wait and see what happens in the new year, my A5 is running beauitfully and looks A1 for a 4 1/2 year old car, 38K miles.

5 hours ago, AndyCLexus said:

I have been in dialogue with quite a few dealers over last 7-14 days as I have been trying to do a deal on the RC models which are currently available from the Lexus UK pool so to speak, already spec'd up. Anyway, there were about 3 brand new ones, mainly RCF Sports in either red, blue or black but one thing I learned speaking to a sales guy last Fri 1-Dec was that he said the ordering system wouldn't allow him to order an RC without premium nav which indicates changes are indeed afoot, certainly in the spec. I was also unable to get a good deal on the one I did fancy, seems 2-3K discount is the max, when I can get 6-7K off a new Audi A5 with similar RRP. So the difference to swap for an A5 was 20K or 26K for an RC. I think I will wait and see what happens in the new year, my A5 is running beauitfully and looks A1 for a 4 1/2 year old car, 38K miles.

Yes the discounts were around £4k on finance and £2k if bought outright. My dealer mentioned something about mid-december being a key time for some changes - not sure whether they're going to change the pricing again or the spec. I presume an RC Sport model might come out with blacked out wheels

• 1 month later...

OK, so I have some news - I did a deal on an RC300H with Premium Navigation, Mark Levinson and sunroof and went to check it over before purchase on 23-Dec. Bad news was that some clumsy oaf had polished the paintwork along with a bit of grit in his cloth - why a new car needs polishing is beyond me but both the dealer and I were surprised/disappointed and I didn't proceed. So they then started searching for another car in UK group stock. Nothing available with ML, and unable to place an order for a new one (status NCO - non-covered order in Lexus system). Latest is that they called me to say that there is a Lexus RC bulletin imminent should have been today but now deferred til prob Monday. Alongside all this another dealer whom I'd decided not to buy from (no issue just better deal at first one) ended up ordering an identical one from another centre (new) and have it ready for me to view tomorrow, a really good deal too.

So, what do I do - wait for the new model and make excuses over the other one? I feel bad letting them down as they have worked hard to win my business - such a dilemma!

I have an appointment at 10am tomorrow...

22 minutes ago, AndyCLexus said:

OK, so I have some news - I did a deal on an RC300H with Premium Navigation, Mark Levinson and sunroof and went to check it over before purchase on 23-Dec. Bad news was that some clumsy oaf had polished the paintwork along with a bit of grit in his cloth - why a new car needs polishing is beyond me but both the dealer and I were surprised/disappointed and I didn't proceed. So they then started searching for another car in UK group stock. Nothing available with ML, and unable to place an order for a new one (status NCO - non-covered order in Lexus system). Latest is that they called me to say that there is a Lexus RC bulletin imminent should have been today but now deferred til prob Monday. Alongside all this another dealer whom I'd decided not to buy from (no issue just better deal at first one) ended up ordering an identical one from another centre (new) and have it ready for me to view tomorrow, a really good deal too.

So, what do I do - wait for the new model and make excuses over the other one? I feel bad letting them down as they have worked hard to win my business - such a dilemma!

I have an appointment at 10am tomorrow...

New cars need transport wax removed and then paint protection applied. This was probably what caused the scratches.

All new cars will have scratches. Lexus paint is more susceptible as its softer. 

Only needs taking to a detailer than anything else

New cars need transport wax removed and then paint protection applied.

Clearcoat is the paint protection surely. What is it you say they 'need' to apply on top?

Rc brochure goes on about the paint being hand polished by 72 virgins (I could be getting mixed up here) in Japan. Then you're saying a bloke in the uk with a 99p jumbo sponge gets to finish it off?

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk