Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

RC facelift heading our way?

I couldn't get the spec and colour combo for mine in early November, so had to make a change to what I wanted as the dealer wouldn't support any extra costs of increases in spec.  The deal was pretty good and I think it is obvious that some kind of facelft was due as these are low volume production cars.

Mine was actually delivered with a paint chip on the passenger door.  As the Sales exec handed me the delivery notice to sign I did a thorough check and spotted it, luckily.  They soon had it done but not sure if the damage had been done before or after the protective treatment I paid £500 for...

Loving the Sport+ mode off the line.  I need to do a 0-60 real time check, I think it beats the 8.5s.  Although not as rapid as my RX8 it ain't far behind.

2 hours ago, Comedian said:

Clearcoat is the paint protection surely. What is it you say they 'need' to apply on top?

Rc brochure goes on about the paint being hand polished by 72 virgins (I could be getting mixed up here) in Japan. Then you're saying a bloke in the uk with a 99p jumbo sponge gets to finish it off?

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

As I posted above my RC arrived in the UK pretty nearly completely wrapped in plastic. Normal prep would be remove the film and wipe down with panel wipe. Mine was then ceramic coated.

You're correct about the paint process in the factory. Each coat is rubbed down by hand, ensuring an unusually smooth and orange peel free finish. Certainly the best paint finish I've seen in modern cars. Just have a look at a new Mercedes, terrible orange peel on every panel.

Clearcoat is the paint protection surely. What is it you say they 'need' to apply on top?

Rc brochure goes on about the paint being hand polished by 72 virgins (I could be getting mixed up here) in Japan. Then you're saying a bloke in the uk with a 99p jumbo sponge gets to finish it off?

Urm, to an extent but it still needs waxing periodically. White cars tend to go yellow even when clearcoated.

They need to put the wax on for a number of simple reasons - prevention of bird poo etching, prevention of iron contamination and make the car easier to clean for a short period of time whilst looking good.

Dealers dont polish the paint - they only stick protective layers on unless it's being prepped as a used car. 

I'm not sure it's hand polished only the forged wheels are which are an option on the RCF.

I think what you mean is the paint is wet sanded by hand to make it smooth

Thanks for all your replies, the scratched paint thing does make me wonder how they can go to such lengths describing the remarkable attention to detail, Takumi craftsmen etc and then present a car like that! My A5 has nothing like that in its paint finish and it’s done 39,000 miles. Also examined a new A5 in Audi showroom and it was perfect. I wouldn’t expect to have to pay a detailer to fix paintwork damaged by a clumsy pdi process either. I thought Lexus was another level above Audi to be honest.

So what should I do, hold out for the revised model or buy the one tomorrow?

I certainly wouldn't pay for the paint correction. That should be part of the deal, Lexus to sort out the scratches / swirls and to your satisfaction. 

If you want the car, get it in writing and go for it.

7 hours ago, AndyCLexus said:

Thanks for all your replies, the scratched paint thing does make me wonder how they can go to such lengths describing the remarkable attention to detail, Takumi craftsmen etc and then present a car like that! My A5 has nothing like that in its paint finish and it’s done 39,000 miles. Also examined a new A5 in Audi showroom and it was perfect. I wouldn’t expect to have to pay a detailer to fix paintwork damaged by a clumsy pdi process either. I thought Lexus was another level above Audi to be honest.

Well yes that's what I meant they should pay for it and it'll be better than new.

Trust me all new cars will have scratches and swirls including the dealer ones. They just slap some spray fillers on to make it seem like they dont which wash off after a while

Thanks for all your replies, the scratched paint thing does make me wonder how they can go to such lengths describing the remarkable attention to detail, Takumi craftsmen etc and then present a car like that! My A5 has nothing like that in its paint finish and it’s done 39,000 miles.

My point exactly.

If they are going to have an employee 'prepare' 40k + cars they require better training and equipment.

Well yes that's what I meant they should pay for it and it'll be better than new.
Trust me all new cars will have scratches and swirls including the dealer ones. They just slap some spray fillers on to make it seem like they dont which wash off after a while

I'm sure you don't mean to say people should just accept low standards, but it does read that way. But it's exactly why I never let them wash my car. Sad when you can't trust someone to carry out such a simple task with care.

I do agree that being able to get them to pay for a proper paint correction is a win win. It would be better than 'new - as supplied by most dealers'.

Nemesis' experience indicates there are other options for dealers too.

11 hours ago, AndyCLexus said:

Andy, if you are driving down the road in your car in 8 months time and you see a facelifted version what would you feel.

if you are neutral to that just buy the current one but press press press the price!

I'm sure you don't mean to say people should just accept low standards, but it does read that way. But it's exactly why I never let them wash my car. Sad when you can't trust someone to carry out such a simple task with care.

I do agree that being able to get them to pay for a proper paint correction is a win win. It would be better than 'new - as supplied by most dealers'.

Nemesis' experience indicates there are other options for dealers too.

No, certainly not - but the point is that most people just don't see them for one reason or another - mainly because they are covered up with fillers. 

If they pay for a detailer and give a good deal, I would take it. It won't just be better than new as supplied by most dealers, but better than new full stop.

I believe an owner had his LC500 detailed on here - it was new and untouched - was covered in scratches despite not having any prep at all.

https://www.theultimatefinish.co.uk/car-care-blog/tag/lexus-lc-500/

Thanks for your replies - so I did a walk round the car with sales guy and it seemed really good but just before I signed The paperwork I went round again and spotted scuffing/ tramlines and a deep scratch in the paint, white mark so pretty deep. Salesman embarrassed and took it away for remedials and 30 mins later it was back but I could tell they’d been working on it, the scratch was gone though. I was a bit irritated though because you shouldn’t need intensive buffing on new paint. Gut feeling was not to proceed so I left, the sales guy was polite but was unimpressed, saying (nicely) that it was an acceptable standard now. Not to me though. So disappointed and I was so close to signing up. 

Got a call from another Lexus dealer in South when I was leaving, confirming they can order new model from Monday.So the revised model is on the water as he said delivery from Feb onwards.

• Like 1

I asked the very same question and he said they don’t have photos yet and believe changes are purely new MMI system. 

I did however see a photo on Twitter home page of Liverpool Lexus @LexusLiverpool could that be the new RC - looks different and very RC like?

3 hours ago, AndyCLexus said:

I asked the very same question and he said they don’t have photos yet and believe changes are purely new MMI system. 

I did however see a photo on Twitter home page of Liverpool Lexus @LexusLiverpool could that be the new RC - looks different and very RC like?

Which picture is this?

I would be absolutely gobsmacked if an updated RC is on the way as the US hasn't got it yet - so unlikely to come here anytime soon.

I literally think its just the new 2018MY - not an actual facelift. 

It takes up to 6 months from the official release to the delivery of the vehicles. 

There are more changes than MMI system, all will be revealed on Monday I’m told, dealer can see 4 changes on internal Lexus system, the interesting one is that all cars now have rear camera and premium navigation currently £2000 option becomes standard. This should bring the price down as F Sport with ML and sunroof is almost £45K. 

That sounds more like a closing out offer? Including things that were originally only options now as standard on the outgoing version, just before the face-lift comes on stream?

33 minutes ago, NemesisUK said:

That sounds more like a closing out offer? Including things that were originally only options now as standard on the outgoing version, just before the face-lift comes on stream?

I agree, it sounds like they're just changing the spec

It's also not unusual to bring new colours to an existing vehicle. The CT and NX had sky blue introduced, the RX recently had azure blue added, the IS had azure blue added mid cycle and the GS had Cadoxton slate added mid cycle too

• Like 1

Update -

Made some phone calls and spoke to some of my friends who work at Lexus across the pond.

The naples yellow is certainly an option now but on the RCF and F Sport only. There is a new 19" split wheel option but no sure if the UK will get it

Lexus-RCF-hero-overview-1312x656-LEX-RCF

The infotainment system and centre console  the only thing changed on the interior. Just gets a bigger screen like the IS

Spec changes means safety system + is standard across the trim levels. 

The looks will remain unchanged

small-1.jpg

The RC Premier gets diamond cut and dark finished wheels now rather than the plain silver and diamond finish. The design is the same. The Luxury will get wheels from the GS Luxury

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NemesisUK said:

From those images, does it mean they are reintroducing front fog lamps? Or is that only for North American markets?

These cars are American spec - hence have foglamps and single beam LED headlights rather than the triple LED headlights we get on the F-Sport and Premier models.

The RC-F in the UK has only had the multispoke diamond cut wheels as standard and recently, the forged wheels were made an option. The US and Canada have always had another base option wheel so its unclear whether the new 7 twin spoke wheels will be offered as standard or as an option here

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links