Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Highest Mileage on IS300h

Hi Guys,

I have just joined the club as I am interested in buying IS300h luxury trim 64 plate with 125k miles on it. I like German cars and had BMW 320d and C220 Merc in last few years. Both I bought with 100k+ miles on the board and I never had any issue with them all the time I had them apart from regular services and tyres change. They proved to be economical as well.

I have read a lot about other Lexus models with high mileage’s but I haven’t read anything about IS300H crossing 100+ and yet keeping inact which German diesels do quite often and quite decently.

I am still confused as if I should go ahead with it or stick to old school - long lasting diesels?

I have been following threads in here for quite a few days and found them very interesting and helping. I hope I would also be listened to :))

Thanks 

Hi,

I have heard a lot about high mileage Prius taxis etc. So don't think you should be to bothered about a high mileage car as long as it has been services properly.

On a 100k mileage car the engine will have done less, say 90k miles and brake wear is less.

If you intend to do lots of miles then a diesel is more economical At 70+ on the motorway you are not using Battery power so using a 2.5 litre petrol engine to carry a heavy Battery pack about. Hybrids are best on urban driving.

This cropped up last time I was at the dealers, I asked if the newer cars were as well screwed together as the old ones. The reply was (obviously) yes but the guy I spoke to mentioned a few IS300H that came in for service and were used as mini cabs. One guy bought his at 65k and it had now done 200k+. I think the reference to the Prius is probably spot on.

I've run older (2000 on) German and Swedish stuff for the last few years and my '02 IS300 is a revelation in build quality.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PaulWhitt20 said:

Hi,

I have heard a lot about high mileage Prius taxis etc. So don't think you should be to bothered about a high mileage car as long as it has been services properly.

On a 100k mileage car the engine will have done less, say 90k miles and brake wear is less.

If you intend to do lots of miles then a diesel is more economical At 70+ on the motorway you are not using battery power so using a 2.5 litre petrol engine to carry a heavy battery pack about. Hybrids are best on urban driving.

Thank you, 

I am not going to buy it for long journeys. I commute 22 miles a day 16 of which is on 50mph and the rest is kind of city driving. It is just the maintenance-costs I am worried about the high mileage vehicle since Germans do a good job in this regard. 

2 hours ago, rich1068 said:

This cropped up last time I was at the dealers, I asked if the newer cars were as well screwed together as the old ones. The reply was (obviously) yes but the guy I spoke to mentioned a few IS300H that came in for service and were used as mini cabs. One guy bought his at 65k and it had now done 200k+. I think the reference to the Prius is probably spot on.

I've run older (2000 on) German and Swedish stuff for the last few years and my '02 IS300 is a revelation in build quality.

Reading about 200k+ is very encouraging I say. I wish I could have more feedback from the people who own high mileage is300h. 

5 hours ago, PaulWhitt20 said:

Hi,

If you intend to do lots of miles then a diesel is more economical At 70+ on the motorway you are not using battery power so using a 2.5 litre petrol engine to carry a heavy battery pack about. Hybrids are best on urban driving.

I wouldn't dismiss these as motorway cruisers neither, when I go on a longer journey, I usually see my average mpg rise a little.

If you switch to Sport mode to get the rev counter on, you'd be pleasantly surprised at how little the petrol motor is being used.

Vince

5 hours ago, Rashi said:

Thank you, 

I am not going to buy it for long journeys. I commute 22 miles a day 16 of which is on 50mph and the rest is kind of city driving. It is just the maintenance-costs I am worried about the high mileage vehicle since Germans do a good job in this regard. 

These things are bulletproof. 

More so than any German car will ever be and will certainly pass 200k if needed with rarely any problems if serviced properly. 

Have you read the 100k CT200h test? They basically unscrewed the whole car to see what had failed at 100k. They were shocked to find nothing had failed and nothing even looked close to failing at 100k. On a Merc or BMW, you'd end up changing the timing belts, the water pumps, this and that by 100k let alone 200-300k.

For reference - there is a 1 owner IS300h F-Sport on Autotrader with 121k miles on it - passed its 1st MOT this year with only 1 advisory of front brakes being lipped!

There's another IS300h with 116k miles on it which passed its 1st MOT this year with no advisories at 114k 

There's only one IS300h over 100k which failed its MOT, but that was because the tyre was less than 1.6mm and tyre pressure indicator was showing low pressure!

Thanks rayaans. It is amazing to know about the ct200h test thingy. I think I will convert to Lexus. Now just waiting for the right one for me...

Since you are a Guru of this forum, may I ask if I can read in details about different trim levels. I have tried hard but couldn't find anywhere the detailed info re various trim levels. 

I appreciate if more people could come up with high mileage infos. It'll be great. 

47 minutes ago, Rashi said:

Thanks rayaans. It is amazing to know about the ct200h test thingy. I think I will convert to Lexus. Now just waiting for the right one for me...

Since you are a Guru of this forum, may I ask if I can read in details about different trim levels. I have tried hard but couldn't find anywhere the detailed info re various trim levels. 

I appreciate if more people could come up with high mileage infos. It'll be great. 

The trim level initially went SE, Luxury, F-Sport and Premier.

SE was most basic but did have parking sensors from memory. Did have option of Premium nav (8 speakers) with reversing camera as well.

Luxury was next. Had some more bits but the main thing was the 17" wheels and option of electric leather seats and premium navigation

F-Sport is basically an appearance and handling package with sportier seats and TFT dial in the instrument cluster. These had options of leather seats, premium nav, sunroof and Mark levinson stereo

Premier is fully loaded as expected but still had options of sunroof and adaptive cruise control. 

Advance, executive and Sport models are special run out models. Executive was basically SE spec with the addition of 17" wheels, basic nav and manual leather seats. The advance also came with basic nav and 17" wheels and leather seats. Not sure what else it came with - probably the reversing camera. Sport model is basically an SE with 18" wheels and unique interior choice

This little featurette may help http://blog.lexus.co.uk/lexus-is-review/

I cant speak directly for the IS, but my CT200h is just coming up to 140K and has been almost faultless.  Although I know the drive train is different I'm sure the engineering is very similar to the IS so I would have no concerns about picking up a 100K plus model.

My next car may be an IS and if I do go down that route then I will probably look for a higher mileage example.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Mr Vlad said:

Hi Vincent. Don' you know in settings you can have the rev counter on all the time?

Yeah, I've done this before, but changed it back after a couple of days, on my mainly urban commute it was very odd to see the  revs drop to zero quite a lot of the time so found it more distracting.  I had switched to this mode out of curiosity though.

1 hour ago, BigChange said:

Mr Vlad......where do I find  the rev counter settings.?  I can only find SetUp on the menu screen and no mention in that of rev counter.  Perhaps I'm looking  in the wrong area ?? 

Its not a setting on the large screen, its on the mini screen above the steering wheel. its the last settings page (the gear symbol),  if you go down those settings using the buttons on the rhs of the steering wheel, you will find it,you can have rev counter on always, never or the usual where its sport mode only, you can turn the EV indicator off too.

Vince

Thank you guys for comments and feedback. Thanks to ryaans as well.

I wish this thread continues as your is300hs would bring on more information on mileage as they get old.

I will also keep you guys updated after i bought mine. The one i am currently looking is IS300h Luxry 64 plate white colour and around 127k on board. This was the only way for me to buy a Lexus. Otherwise too expensive for me.

So to speak, I will let you know how it feels like to have a high mileage petrol hybrid i.e. 

Thanks for the tip on how to access the rev counter. The car is full of surprises.  Tried it out today on a lengthy trip.  Interesting how low the car revs at high speed (75mph);  from a long life perspective this must be a good sign for Rashi.   

• 2 weeks later...

Hey. To update you guyz about my is300h hunt, i am happy to have one now... i had 2 options; is300h luxry trim with 120k on the clock or is300h SE with 85k on the clock. I went for the 85K SE basic trim one...
I had to sacrifice SatNav and 17" rim. But I was lucky to have it in full leather.

To be honest, even the SE trim is amazing to drive in terms of comfort and coziness. Prior to this i was driving C220 (63 plate) executive... but this Lexus is way more comfortable than C220. I havent taken it to long drives but urban and city driving in London on roads full of humps and dumps, it drives amazing. You definitely feel like driving a luxry saloon.

The only regret i have is it doesnt have parking sensors which i was sure about that it would have considering the fact that SE trim comes with Xenon and electric folding mirrors.... :((((

Now mine one does have the infotainment screen with few options including DAB and USB and Bluetooth connnectivity. I suppose it has a mirrorlink option as well but i am not sure how it works. I guess i still have to go through more threads on this forum to make most use of my basic trim.

Thank you all!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Good choice, welcome to the enlightened minority!

The ride will be better on 16 inch wheels, do you get free road tax too?

You may be able to fit parking sensors yourself and a tomtom (other models are available) will be better than the standard satnav.

Pictures please.

Yes White. The ride is amazingly smooth and beautiful. I would say driving is300h on London roads is a big time treat.

Yes. You are right. I am thinking of doing sensors... but i have to do a bit of research for that.

You should be able to get them done for around £150
And congratulations on your purchase.
Thanks rich.

Can i have bit more details about sensors? As i never had any experience of that.

Good to know you finally got an is300h. 

Why don't you go to your local lexus dealers to get a quote for parking sensors. You may just be pleasantly suprised. 

Good to know you finally got an is300h. 
Why don't you go to your local lexus dealers to get a quote for parking sensors. You may just be pleasantly suprised. 
I would definitely keep that in mind.

Agreed. Local dealer would be my first stop. Then somewhere that fits quality car audio ie not Halfords.

The simplest sort are just wired up to the reverse lights. Put the car in reverse, power to the reverse lights, activates sensors and audible beeper. It's the drilling holes in the bumper I don't like to think about.

All that said, my IS didn't come with sensors and I initially thought I wouldn't manage but I have. Got used to it now.