Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Whining on vigorous steering

When I vigorously steer to one side in my MK3 LS400 I get a rather alarming whining sound. Fine on normal driving, only happens on a fast turn of the wheel. I did this twice yesterday after which the car continued to whine, rising and falling with the revs. Any ideas? Thinking alternator or steering pump but have no idea myself. Had a look on the forums but couldn't find a similar issue.

Cheers

Good that it's got some fluid in it.

Are there any level marks to help you determine the correct volume?

Also has the fluid been changed recently? Does it still look 'fresh'?

wrong consistency for sure,  sounds like treacle !  No wonder it's not moving around the way it should .......  maybe it's been topped up with incorrect fluid and if that's in the system then maybe it needs a proper cleansing out and re-filling with the right stuff.

That might be a tedious and time consuming job to get all the old crap out  .........  maybe someone on here can think of a simple flushing solution to your problem ....... Steve 2006 . HELP . 

Malc

5 hours ago, henners999 said:

Unsure but the cars only been lightly used for the last 17 years so guessing not in a while

''Lightly"? how many miles? I suggest you get all fluids changed as well as cambelt (perished?) water pump & tensioners, see link, I used one of them for my 1995 LS400

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FOR-LEXUS-LS400-4-0-1989-1997-NEW-TIMING-CAM-BELT-TENSIONER-IDLER-KIT-SET/121560164635?fits=Car+Make%3ALexus|Cars+Year%3A1997&epid=864048021&hash=item1c4d8ce91b:g:XxEAAOSw0e9Uz5ym

25,000 in 17 years.

Yeah just had cambelt/waterpump replaced, I'll do the fluids in time. Thanks Malc for the tips, I looked up a vid online and looks like I need a large syringe. Maybe Guy's Hospital can help...

There is a Lexus special tool for removing the power steering fluid from the reservoir.....it's called a "Turkey Baster" currently on sale at Matalan for £2.00 including VAT and LOC Gold member discount, other outlets are available. 

https://www.matalan.co.uk/product/detail/s2663103_c000/turkey-baster-28cm-multi?gclid=CjwKCAiA9f7QBRBpEiwApLGUigYlwTeQpVrO5qLlpORfPXw1_xmiK02pmEARgGQPl7hko4zps4AzARoCNcQQAvD_BwE

Stick it in the reservoir, squeeze the bulb to suck up the fluid until you cannot get any more out then top up with fresh fluid (Dextron ATF I believe).

Repeat over a couple of weeks until fluid is clean and the same colour as it comes out of the bottle.

On 25/11/2017 at 6:35 PM, jonthetourist said:

Maybe check out the brake fluid too. . .?

A very good point, every 36,000 miles or 3 years is a good guide.

I have noticed that the colour of new brake fluid is almost clear and after a period of time it has a yellow tinge possibly caused by absorbing moisture which reduces it's boiling point and it's efficiency.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links