Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus insurance a joke!

mrfunex

So, in advance of picking up my new GSF, I got a quote from Lexus insurance, just out of curiosity. The best I’d seen so far through a comparison site was £264 for the year (benefits of living in a safe area, I guess!)

Their quote?

£2,168.77!!!

Can anyone top that? :wacko:

Yup, everything the same. 

It happened before on a GS450h.

Lexus’ quotation was 5-6 times most other quotes I’d had! They quoted me double what I’d been paying on a 550bhp modified 911 Turbo! The excuse? “You’re a younger male with a powerful, big engined car” Maybe it’s just me! 

I’m 33, have no endorsements, I live in a safe area etc. Literally *nothing at all* to stand out as a big risk, yet the quotations I receive are astronomical! As I say, all other companies offer resonable quotations! 

Their prices are always stupid. Although not as stupid as Adrian Flux.

I got a quote of £1300 on RX and £1100 on IS.

Admiral covered them both for £1036 and gave be £50k lifetime personal injury insurance. 

Adrian flux are something else - £4k for the RX so just howled in laughter and told them to stick it where the sun don't shine. Chris Knott on the other hand were brilliant - even beat Admiral's quote but I didn't fancy the hassle of changing over for £36

On 11/22/2017 at 11:50 PM, rayaans said:

Their prices are always stupid. Although not as stupid as Adrian Flux.

I got a quote of £1300 on RX and £1100 on IS.

Admiral covered them both for £1036 and gave be £50k lifetime personal injury insurance. 

Adrian flux are something else - £4k for the RX so just howled in laughter and told them to stick it where the sun don't shine. Chris Knott on the other hand were brilliant - even beat Admiral's quote but I didn't fancy the hassle of changing over for £36

Hi,

Sorry we couldn't help with your insurance. unfortunately we can;t be competitive on every quotation I'm afraid.

Regards,

Dan.

16 hours ago, DAN@ADRIAN FLUX said:

Hi,

Sorry we couldn't help with your insurance. unfortunately we can;t be competitive on every quotation I'm afraid.

Regards,

Dan.

I understand that Dan but a £4k quote is genuinely taking the mick. 

If you guys don't want to quote, just say so instead of giving premiums inflated by 500%

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 23/11/2017 at 9:23 AM, rich1068 said:

I was extremely surprised to get a cheap quote from them when I got my IS. Then I added business use and it went through the roof.

It does seem that some people are able to get competitive quotes from Lexus. I've never been able to understand the demographic they are looking for though.

57 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

It does seem that some people are able to get competitive quotes from Lexus. I've never been able to understand the demographic they are looking for though.

Some people are very economical with the truth which can have a bearing on what they are quoted, this also can often have huge consequences later down the road once the insurance company find out. Very difficult these days to lie to insurance companies.

• 4 months later...
On 22/04/2018 at 10:30 AM, B1001 said:

I also feel Lexus has a reputation of being the vehicle of choice for a much older drivers. I rarely see a Lexus driver under 40 on the roads.

There could be, and probably are a number of reasons for that.

One being that the over 50's have more disposable income for spending on luxuries, such as expensive cars ?

They are more likely to have inherited money from parents or relations, or have very good pensions.

They aren't worried about the badge on the front, or how quickly their car will get to 60mph.

They just want a comfortable reliable car.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've just picked my Lexus up and took the 3 day insurance they offer before transferring onto my current policy for my old car. They offered a quote to take out for a new policy....£1900!!! I've got a quote lined up else where for when my current policy ends and is £520. It's a shame Lexus insurance isn't competitive.

Hopefully when the time comes I'll be able to get it cheaper still. 

I insure my NX and my MINI Cooper on a multi car policy with Admiral. Last year, £488 for both with protected NCB and personal legal cover. Renewal this year was over £600!

Pretty much every other company is cheaper with like for like cover, whether insuring the cars separately through different companies or together. I'll go with Direct Line - just beating Aviva and the Co-Op - for £458 total. No doubt I'll be back with Admiral next year - that's the pattern of the past few years. With a new customer discount they're usually cheapest for me. Without, as this year being an existing customer, they can't compete.

• 2 weeks later...

I called Admiral to tell them not to renew my policy, and they matched the lowest price in about 2 minutes. No surprise that I've stayed with them as it is easier. They've never matched on price before - the guy said they didn't want to lose me as a customer. Interesting...😃

19 minutes ago, First_Lexus said:

I called Admiral to tell them not to renew my policy, and they matched the lowest price in about 2 minutes. No surprise that I've stayed with them as it is easier. They've never matched on price before - the guy said they didn't want to lose me as a customer. Interesting...😃

I do that every year.

Ring them up, they either match it, give a better quote and additional benefits. 

No surprise then that my multicar policy has been running with them for a few years now 🤣

• Like 1

I've tried it many times, but usually they just say they can't match price and let me go. The difference this year seemed to be that the lowest price was with Direct Line...the level of urgency and interest went from 'not bothered' to 'please stay' in a few seconds! Whatever the reason, I'm happy.

😁

It really does ***** me off how insurance companies treat us. Renewed mine this morning. The quote they gave me was £40 more than last year. As soon as I told them I could get it cheaper elsewhere they matched it!

• 7 months later...

I had insurance years ago on a Mercedes SL500 with Flux. The first year, the premium was roughly £700, which was fairly competitive. Come renewal time, the premium had jumped to several times that (over £3000 rings a bell), and couldn’t be noticeably lowered. The only difference was the car being a year older and me having another years NCD - I hadn’t moved, had an accident, etc. I have no idea what method these companies (not just Flux!) use to calculate risk/premiums...

• 2 weeks later...

For the first time in my memory my renewal quote on my insurance was reasonable only rising by £19. This is with Saga, and still keeps my premium well under £300 for my GS450H. I will be renewing with them as it is not worth the hassle to try to find a better deal, but I will keep an eye on next years quote. When are other companies going to follow suit.

John.

• Like 1

John, for such a meager increases I can see why you stayed put and saved yourself the hassle of calling around.

I was also with Saga last year and their renewal increased just £8 this year. I was tempted to simply renew but felt I had to check elsewhere.

After seeing folks using Chris Knott I gave them a call and like for like, their premium was £47 cheaper [emoji106]

Once signed up they did need more paperwork tho [emoji848]

I hate the process of re insuring each year.

• Like 1

Insurance prices depend on so many factors, so I would never recommend a particular insurance company to anyone.

You could have two people living next door to each other, with the same type of vehicle, and the same personal

details, who get vastly different quotes from the same company. Even the time of the month or week can make a difference.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Farqui said:

John, for such a meager increases I can see why you stayed put and saved yourself the hassle of calling around.

I was also with Saga last year and their renewal increased just £8 this year. I was tempted to simply renew but felt I had to check elsewhere.

After seeing folks using Chris Knott I gave them a call and like for like, their premium was £47 cheaper emoji106.png

Once signed up they did need more paperwork tho emoji848.png

I hate the process of re insuring each year.

The strange thing is in the past quotes from Saga have been high. It was only last year that getting the usual enormous rise in renewal premium and searching around that I found Saga to be very competitive. At £260 with all the bells and whistles including breakdown cover for any vehicle I was travelling in, and now just under £280 I felt this was still a good price.
I will do a quick search to see what is available, and come back.

John.

• Like 1

Having checked the "Compare the market" site my renewal is £50 cheaper than any other company listed. I may ring Chris Knott for a quote, but I think I will have difficulty getting the price down for the same cover. My excess is also low at £50. 
I think living in Herefordshire helps with the premium as it is the leased populated county in England.

John.

• Like 1

I called Chris Knott and they were £80 cheaper than my broker but my broker couldn't match it because both Chris Knott and the broker im with use the same insurer Highway. I just don't get how one broker can get it cheaper than another broker but with the same insurer? Chris Knott wouldn't insure me as I'm with Highway anyway but with a different broker