Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

RC300h review

I reckon Lexus actually sponsored the review as a clever piece of reverse customer psychology, the repulsiveness of the reviewer serving to 

underline the car's attractiveness.

Guy doing the review usual motoring journalistic rubbish spouted by someone who has spent a relatively short period of time with the car, and then for some inexplicable reason is an 'expert' ............ so I've come up with a test on here for who has the ability to complete the word below that best discribes him. I'm going to make a simple like him....... I'm even going to give a clue to assist with the answer .....

So here we go he is...... now remember it's not bad language and the test is    PRA.. 

The two dots required for the clue are a famous bike race held on the Isle of Man 

@ComedianIs not allowed to participate being a bike bloke as well 😏

There we are a lot rubbish just like the reviewer.......

🐀

i thought it was not that bad at all...

Very factual, good comparisons with competing cars, the financial part was very informative.and all was completely missing the point.

Again it shows that the Lexus brand is not understood by the majority of people, a Lexus is not for everyone.

You have to see it to reckognize it..  

Big rat it seems the crew left their office in the morning to do a review and needed to be back before noon again. Very superficial flat not interested. As long as it looks good on the net weŕe ok!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Big Rat said:

So here we go he is...... now remember it's not bad language and the test is    PRA.. 

The two dots required for the clue are a famous bike race held on the Isle of Man 

I'm thinking the guy in the video only needs a single dot to complete his description.

His pronouncements would require what you suggest but with a dot separating each letter  

• Haha 1

To be Jonest I liked the video. I do not agree with everything, but one key point for me (why I did not liked the RC) was that there is obvious gap between looks and performance (as pointed out). I really think the car is gorgeous looking, but it just do not "go". Again very accurately pointed out in the review - if you drive it carefully and slowly it is actually nice, but if you little bit harsher on your car (like I am) you will be disappointed. Now regarding the sound - yes it is poor, but I had no hairdryer effect from eCVT, I actually quite liked the fake fixed rations when in "S" mode and "computer game fast" response from paddle shifters. Rear space is small and I agree both BMW and MB does better, but I am not fussed about that (it doesn't make that factually incorrect though) - I would buy 2 door coupe for it.. well being 2 door coupe... that is where I disagree with review bringing 4 series Grand coupe from BMW and 5 door A5 for comparison. For me they are just plainly stupid cars... if I would want 4 door I would go for 3-Series or A4... Other things - infotainment system in Lexus RC is pretty bad, just no way going around it.. it is bad.. as well I had complaints of some rather cheap plastic details in cabin, but I cannot agree that driver positions or seat is bad - it was one of the best position and seat I have ever sat in.

• Like 1

Yes I know I was just being a little daft, I had an RC as a service loan car for a day back last year, having driven RCF's many times prior to it, and whilst I was with the RC a 2.0 Petrol version........ I know I know @Linas.P let's not go back to that 😬

What I want to say is I tried to put myself in the position of an owner that just wanted a car that had style more than a little presence reliability and very importantly was not German.

I didn't consider it some inferior RCF for instance I just wanted to to see what it was for what it was I enjoyed it 👍

🐀

• Like 1

To be Jonest Other things - infotainment system in Lexus RC is pretty bad,

It's not as good as it should be but after having a 2017 CT other day on loan it's multi times better than that was.

It's hard to use on the move but I use the voice controls for music and phone. Never really touch anything else. Really glad they put hvac controls on the panel though. Some newer cars hvac is only in the screen :/

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, NemesisUK said:

I'm thinking the guy in the video only needs a single dot to complete his description.

His pronouncements would require what you suggest but with a dot separating each letter ....- 

11 hours ago, Big Rat said:

The two dots required for the clue are a famous bike race held on the Isle of Man.....

In this particular case, the letters in the name of the famous IOM bike race would be more appropriate as the first and last in a word of four

letters within which, depending on your level of politeness, an "A" might be preferred to an "I". ....

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Comedian said:

2017 CT...

Oh... please do not mention it... If you compare RC with CT then obviously RC is not that bad.

@Big Rat actually I consider RC300h to be more sensible option than RC200t. If you really just want something reliable, non-German and fuel efficient to run-around I believe it is quite good option, whereas RC200t is neither fast nor fuel efficient. For me what RC300h should have been is something similar to BMW 330e. It should have been PHEV to meet favourable taxing criteria and should have some electric only miles (~20) and do 0-60 in 6.1s... then it would bet no brainer. There is no reason why that would not be possible with Toyota backing and both companies knowhow... and I feel it should have been significantly lighter by use of composite materials. 

What is this drivel? And who is this idiot - looks like a bad drummer from an equally bad boy band. 

Im sorry, but if you want to review cars - do it properly. 

Annoys me when reviewers don't know how to use features like the seatbelt buckling system on the seat to prevent you reaching all the way back to B pillar - idiots!

18 hours ago, Big Rat said:

@rayaans He isn't one of the better ' I'm a YouTube motoring juorno expert dude' etc etc........ still looking at all those 'tats' he's a dab hand with the crayon box  🙄

Big Rat

Im not particularly concerned about his looks although they are an acquired taste. 

However, he gives off the impression that he should be in a souped up Ford Fiesta, not an RC - you know the one - bright red in colour with big black rims, murder tints round back, a farting exhaust the diameter of a football and green MONSTER  energy stickers plastered around the car in similar quantity to M badges on BMWs

Certainly not professional looking enough to drive around these vehicles anyway

On 11/25/2017 at 6:23 PM, rayaans said:

What is this drivel? And who is this idiot - looks like a bad drummer from an equally bad boy band. 

Im sorry, but if you want to review cars - do it properly. 

Annoys me when reviewers don't know how to use features like the seatbelt buckling system on the seat to prevent you reaching all the way back to B pillar - idiots!

I think he pretend to be simple "jonny" i.e. little above average non-car guy (which is to be honest is majority of the buyers) and just gives "obvious" impressions of what you should expect, by no means he looks professional or the review is detailed and professional.... but some of the point he made I found very accurate.

11 hours ago, dutchie01 said:

interwebs product presenters ... seem quite different than old school motoring journalists ....

The nature and tone of motoring journalism have been heavily influenced by Top Gear, in which the desire to entertain became as important as

the informative content, with biased opinions tending, not unnaturally, to be more amusing than earnestly expressed objective ones.  But where

Clarkson & Co., succeeded on the strength of individual talents and personality and generous production resources, few of their many imitators

on the Web, exemplified at the worst extreme by the HJ guy inspiring this thread, should be encouraged to quit their day job (assuming they 

have one).

Lexus cars are not aimed at tattooed louts who like to thrash the engine & try to wheelspin & drive at 90mph at every opportunity.  That is what he fails to grasp.

The RC isn't slow but also isn't a Golf R.  If you dont like the bongs then go into the menu & turn them off.  Not an engaging reviewer either regardless of his drivel.  They do it to get views which earn them money the more clicks the more they earn.

1 hour ago, capese21 said:

Lexus cars are not aimed at tattooed louts who like to thrash the engine & try to wheelspin & drive at 90mph at every opportunity. 

Oh.................. :whistling:

Eminently avoidable paid-by-the-click car reviewers are far from alone on the Web, there being even worse ones in other subjects.  Being in

the market for a new phone, I have recently been exploring video reviews of the latest crop of iPhones, and have been amazed by the dire

communication skills exhibited in most of them, whose viewing I would recommend to no-one without a taste for impenetrable jargon and

close-ups of agile fingers and thumbs, usually male but sometimes strangely unerotic female ones with long squared-off nails.  Of course,

many of these reviewers have an advantage over their motoring counterparts in that they have the technical skill to edit their own work,  

almost always by eliminating all manner of punctuation from their spiel in order to reduce overall length.   By so doing, they convey the                                                                  

completely false impression of being able to talk expertly for 10-15 minutes without drawing a single breath.  To their credit I have yet

to see this technique among car reviewers.  

11 hours ago, capese21 said:

Lexus cars are not aimed at tattooed louts who like to thrash the engine & try to wheelspin & drive at 90mph at every opportunity.  That is what he fails to grasp.

The RC isn't slow but also isn't a Golf R.  If you dont like the bongs then go into the menu & turn them off.  Not an engaging reviewer either regardless of his drivel.  They do it to get views which earn them money the more clicks the more they earn.

Are you saying that if I expect reasonable acceleration and driving dynamics from luxury coupe I should switch the brand then? (by the any I don't have tattoos). 

A friend sent me the HJ review and I managed to watch the whole video - it wasn't easy :rolleyes:

I have to say if he'd loved the rc300h I'd of regretted buying it instantly and probably traded it in for a hot hatch with fluffy dice :wink3:

I bought mine mainly because -

1. I wanted something different - I've only seen 1 other so far 

2. 0-60 in 8.5 secs is as quick as my previous RRS and DS and quick enough to get penalty points on my licence if I found an empty road or a speed camera - lot easier to find the latter. 

But a PHEV version would be better

Agree a V8 sounds awesome and if I was after a track car and had money to burn I'd love one - happy to use one as a courtesy car though 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Muddywheels said:

1. I wanted something different - I've only seen 1 other so far 

2. 0-60 in 8.5 secs is as quick as my previous RRS and DS and quick enough to get penalty points on my licence if I found an empty road or a speed camera - lot easier to find the latter. 

1. that is actually mentioned in review.

2.. 8.6s.. but it is not even about time, it is as well about the way it does it, the sound. The comparison with your previous car is subjective, finally you can technically be speeding on bicycle and I remember recent thread where somebody got fined in Toyota Yaris 1.2l which probably does 0-60 in 14s... effectively any car which reaches above 20MPH can exceed speed limits, so this point is just irrelevant . Objectively, for the power it has (220hp), for the price it costs (£40k) and for the segment it represents (Luxury, sport coupe) RC300h is a slow car.

PHEV version would be brilliant, firstly because of compliance e.g. I cannot take RC300h as company car now and only option is like BMW330e, but secondly (I know wishful thinking) it might get some decent acceleration (BME330e does it in 6.1s).

2 hours ago, Muddywheels said:

Agreed, for me this would be very welcome as I would love a car where I can pre-heat/de-ice the vehicle on these frosty mornings :yes:

• Like 1