Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rear shocks seepage

I've just had the first MOT on my IS 300 F Sport with AVS.  It passed but has warnings for slight seepage of both rear shock absorbers. Plus the front discs were slightly lipped.

The cost for the shocks is £292.66 each!  (i'm not sure if that's just parts or includes labour) This will be done under warranty, nevertheless it seemed a bit steep to me.  Is it the AVS that pushes the price up?  Probably worth noting for anyone buying a used model.

For info the cost of the front discs is shown as £33.69 so I guess it's parts only.

Hi Stephen, glad to hear that your car passed it's MOT, who tested it for you?

When was the car last serviced and did any of these 'issues' pop up then?

Good to hear that the shox's will be replaced under warranty, I just wonder if they are actually weeping...

1 hour ago, Nimbra said:

I've just had the first MOT on my IS 300 F Sport with AVS.  It passed but has warnings for slight seepage of both rear shock absorbers. Plus the front discs were slightly lipped.

The cost for the shocks is £292.66 each!  (i'm not sure if that's just parts or includes labour) This will be done under warranty, nevertheless it seemed a bit steep to me.  Is it the AVS that pushes the price up?  Probably worth noting for anyone buying a used model.

For info the cost of the front discs is shown as £33.69 so I guess it's parts only.

Probably the AVS that leads to the cost of them

Weeping shocks seems to be more common on certain IS300h model years with AVS 

I believe @Steve44 had weeping shocks on his 2014 - both rears

Re servicing - usually done by Lexus Milton Keynes - they did the MOT.  However, the last service was done by Lexus Norwich.(never again!)

Re Discs - the price shown is definitely £33.69 - perhaps its just removing the lipping??

Slightly lipped discs should not be an advisory. Go to any Lexus forecourt and many cars on sale will have slightly lipped discs, just stick your hand between the alloy wheel and check. 

On numerous occasions I've negotiated over cars and they will argue the discs are within tolerances - yet they pick it up at an MOT-  quelle surprise.

Incidentally what's your mileage and if the discs are £33.69 get them done (they wont be but you can have fun trying)

As for the shocks- I would say get a second opinion but see they are doing them under warranty. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links