Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Cost of replacement brake pads and discs?

JeffL

My GS300 (2007) 65K miles was in for its 12 month service/MOT at my local independent garage. (I've only done 4K miles in the last 12 months, mostly local driving with the odd motorway trips). On returning home with the car, I was looking at the detail of the work carried out and there is an advisory to replace the front discs and pads soon. (Pads 70% worn, Discs 80% worn). Before I ring them to ask about the cost, can anyone give me an idea what I should expect to pay including parts, labour and VAT? (They've also noted that the rear pads are 10% worn and the rear discs are 60% worn). The rear pads were replace 12 months ago. Should I expect the rear discs to last me another 12 months?

I do sometimes think about changing the car as it is now 10 years old, but then when I have to spend some money on it I think I should keep it a bit longer to get value from what I've just spent! (I'm sure I'm not alone there). In the 8 years I've owned the car I've replaced the following: Battery (2 years ago), 4 tyres (1 year ago), Rear brake callipers and pads (1 year ago at cost of £660 including parts and labour). It's a dream to drive, I love it!, but just wondering what else might need replacing say in the next 12 months/4K or 5K miles?

Hoping someone can advise me, thanks.

If you like or love the car then maintenance costs are just running costs. You have to do this in young vehicles and there are always surprises.

A dealer probably won’t rob you but you pay top price. A non franchise will be less pennies but may not fit genuine parts.

If you can do the work then you can save a lot of money. But not all have the time or ability.

Don’t think about the £ value of the car but it’s overall running costs and whether you want to stick with it.

There are good quality non OE parts but I now will stick to OE but will source on best price. I can get discs for £150 fr pair and pads £70 or a bit less. That’s good as they are genuine and will last for ages. For me, no labour...

Some garages will fit your own parts and are happy to take the labour but the work will have limited warranty.

btw all the parts you have replaced...are regular maintenance consumables and are through age or wear and tear. 

Future: cam belt, water pump, pulleys, suspension bushes, spark plugs (last for ages).

World would have ended before you have had to scrap the car.😉

• Like 1

Hi Jeff, I've just had mine replaced Pagid disc's and pads all round " euro carparts" blackfriday deal £205 then got my local garage to fit them for £108 total price  £313 Inc absolutely brilliant for such a top quality brand and they were for a 2005 gs430 with the 334mm brakes.

Hope this gives you a good idea as to what is out there Brian.

Mmm...chocolate discs, eaten before fitted...

I gave up on non OE as some big disties have brand specs made to their cheaper requirements and costs. My Merc garage ended up sourcing the same brand through the dealer as there was a quality issue and they had constant warranty issues.

But, it can be batches, it’s your choice and your budget. It was a few years ago and could/should be fixed by now.

On 24/11/2017 at 9:07 PM, JeffL said:

My GS300 (2007) 65K miles was in for its 12 month service/MOT at my local independent garage. (I've only done 4K miles in the last 12 months, mostly local driving with the odd motorway trips). On returning home with the car, I was looking at the detail of the work carried out and there is an advisory to replace the front discs and pads soon. (Pads 70% worn, Discs 80% worn). Before I ring them to ask about the cost, can anyone give me an idea what I should expect to pay including parts, labour and VAT? (They've also noted that the rear pads are 10% worn and the rear discs are 60% worn). The rear pads were replace 12 months ago. Should I expect the rear discs to last me another 12 months?

I do sometimes think about changing the car as it is now 10 years old, but then when I have to spend some money on it I think I should keep it a bit longer to get value from what I've just spent! (I'm sure I'm not alone there). In the 8 years I've owned the car I've replaced the following: Battery (2 years ago), 4 tyres (1 year ago), Rear brake callipers and pads (1 year ago at cost of £660 including parts and labour). It's a dream to drive, I love it!, but just wondering what else might need replacing say in the next 12 months/4K or 5K miles?

Hoping someone can advise me, thanks.

Your garage sounds extremely honest so fair play to them. My guess is the front discs have done 65K and the car being a bit of a lump its probably that time. The rear discs probably have a few years left in them. 

Most indies wont allow you to buy brake components and ask them to fit (they prefer to buy themselves ) due to obvious safety reasons, however you can always steer them in the right direction with prices. Having owned an IS200 for many years these are simply consumables but done properly should last another 5 years, rarely as much as the originals but enough to give you peace of mind. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

That sums it up spot on.

Even when you can diy it is rewarding and saves money but it can be a labour of love. Time is money and it’s ok to pay to have it done...even if you can do it with your eyes shut. Life can be busy and you know...takes time.

56 minutes ago, doog442 said:

Stainless steel available for under £400, he probably needs to cross that bridge when he comes to it. 

And lots of drone to go with it.

Definitely not what you want to hear while driving a GS.

1 hour ago, peachy said:

And lots of drone to go with it.

Definitely not what you want to hear while driving a GS.

He can still cross that bridge when he comes to it, mine was still solid at 12 years when i got rid. Theres a thread on here somewhere where someone suffered no drone, plenty of options before heading to your local stealership and no reason to get rid of a quality car at 10 years old.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/30/2017 at 6:39 PM, brian155 said:

Hi Jeff, I've just had mine replaced Pagid disc's and pads all round " euro carparts" blackfriday deal £205 then got my local garage to fit them for £108 total price  £313 Inc absolutely brilliant for such a top quality brand and they were for a 2005 gs430 with the 334mm brakes.

Hope this gives you a good idea as to what is out there Brian.

I got these too my brakes are absolutely fantastic now!