Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is 250 2 gen automatic transmission

Lobex

Hi, I have a problem with my 2007 Is 250 automatic transmission.  When I accelerate slowly the car starts shaking like if you would be driving over small bumps. It usually starts at arround 50 km/h but goes away when I continue accelerating. But it doesn't hapen all the time!? I had the transmission cleaned put in new oil and reset the transmission memory but it's still shaking. What do you think is the problem?  Thanks, Iztok 

My first call would be the exhaust rubbing, which would be sort of "intermittent" issue you describing, but it seems that you have more advanced problem.

Change of gearbox oil in itself sound wrong and could make more issues than it solves.... Do you know in which gear that happens? If it happens in specific gear e.g. 3rd then it might be related to that specific "gear" (by which I mean literally "gear") being damaged.

Correct me if I am wrong but if the gear is damaged wouldn't it shake always when the car is in that gear? Because as  I said it doesn't happen always just from time to time. It feels like the transmission is engageing and disengaging in a very short interval.  Could it be something that isn't connected to the transmission.  Could it be the diferential? 

I had a similar issue - had the oil changed and although it felt better I still had the vibration.

I found out through trial and error and from what owners on the forum were saying than there was an issue with the wheels. I found out the inner alloy was corroding on one wheel (had the tyre removed on the off chance) Found the corrosion was separating the tyre from the rim. I guessed all would be the same as they were not good at holding pressures.

Wheels have been changed and issue has gone. Not stating this is your issue but sounds similar so if you are able to change the wheels to do a trial then I would give that a go.

The reason why I guessed it might be specific gear is because you said the issue happens at some point during acceleration and when you get-up to higher speeds it disappears, just a guess again but if say 3-4 gear is damaged, you would only feel that whilst accelerating on that specific gear at ~50kph, but once at higher speed in 5-6th it would.

These "intermittent" issues are the most difficult to solve, to be honest I would not hold hope that somebody on the forum would guess it. One thing for sure is that IS250 auto boxes are almost indestructible so there would be little experience regarding issues, troubleshooting and how to fix them.

On 26. 11. 2017 at 5:51 PM, is200 Newbie said:

I had a similar issue - had the oil changed and although it felt better I still had the vibration.

I found out through trial and error and from what owners on the forum were saying than there was an issue with the wheels. I found out the inner alloy was corroding on one wheel (had the tyre removed on the off chance) Found the corrosion was separating the tyre from the rim. I guessed all would be the same as they were not good at holding pressures.

Wheels have been changed and issue has gone. Not stating this is your issue but sounds similar so if you are able to change the wheels to do a trial then I would give that a go.

First thing monday I called the garage were I had my gearbox serviced and they told that it's normal for the shaking to continue for a short time before the program learns my driving after program reset. And after 3 days it really stoped and it hasn't been shaking since than. Looks like we have fixed the problem. 

Thanks for all you help,

Iztok 

10 hours ago, Lobex said:

First thing monday I called the garage were I had my gearbox serviced and they told that it's normal for the shaking to continue for a short time before the program learns my driving after program reset. And after 3 days it really stoped and it hasn't been shaking since than. Looks like we have fixed the problem. 

Thanks for all you help,

Iztok 

Keep us informed as to how this pans out - I would be particular interested in knowing what the results are in a few weeks/months time....

I had no issue with mine immediately after the oil change - cant see how the garage can claim that, as the ecu only decides the driving style during the first few miles after start up from when the engine / box is up to temp.....there is a feature on these cars that does not allow the full use of the box (gearing wise) until it is up to temp.

You can see this from the indication on the readout display (gear selection) in auto mode when first start-up, will only take the car up to 5th gear until fully up to temp then allow selection to 6th, its why you will feel a bit of a lag on the car from cold. The gearbox on these should heat up quicker, or just as quick as the engine, Its just as important to ensure the coolant service changes are followed, not just for the engine but for the box also as the system cools the box also.

• Like 1