Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Stainless steel braided brake lines

Chazz

So, I'm shiny brand new into Lexus ownership with my 1997 LS400.

I'm looking for stainless steel braided brake lines to replace the crusty rubber ones currently fitted. I see a lot for 89-92, and then 92-95, but none in the UK that will apparently fit my 97. 

I'm not interested in getting bent over at Toyota for rubber hoses (previously I owned a Landcruiser - I'm acutely aware that OEM stuff is pricey). 

Where can I get stainless steel braided hoses in the UK, for my 1997 LS400? 

Thanks all.

6ABF2A2B-4255-4268-AFDB-D8E9C7A85088.jpeg

PPS, I've checked major manufacturers websites already - Goodridge, HEL etc, but they don't list my car, or its for the 92 fitment. Is that the same? Will they fit? 

If lines for your specific model then can find the dimensions to then source from a different model? A good brake supplier might be able to look into this for you.

I've fitted braided lines to a couple of cars and barely felt any improvement. Long term it doesn't seem that they are a good option for a daily either, take a look at this;

• Like 1

Maybe I should have been clearer - I'm a mechanic by trade, albeit heavy diesels more than personal cars.

I don't need lectures because you think the rubber ones are better, all I'd like to know if there's any distributor that sells them premade.

It looks not, so I'll probably end up removing them and having a bespoke set made up, unless anyone can point me in a British based direction.

Thanks all.

oh dear, tolerance is good .......  people on here are only trying to help 

8 hours ago, Chazz said:

I don't need lectures because you think

chill out and accept the best of intentions, it makes for a much nicer life :wink3:

Malc

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Farqui said:

If lines for your specific model then can find the dimensions to then source from a different model? A good brake supplier might be able to look into this for you.

I've fitted braided lines to a couple of cars and barely felt any improvement. Long term it doesn't seem that they are a good option for a daily either, take a look at this;

A very informative article, thanks for sharing this. Ed

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Malc said:

oh dear, tolerance is good .......  people on here are only trying to help 

chill out and accept the best of intentions, it makes for a much nicer life :wink3:

Malc

Yeah, I get that. 

However, I only asked the forum where I could locate the item. I didn't ask what was better, or if I should fit them, or what were the pros and cons of SS braided lines. 

Instead I get condescending replies with videos showing me how much stainless lines are the devil.

It's like being on Mumsnet...

Have you used an online car forum before Chazz? If you start a thread about stainless steel braided brake lines and we're not talking about the pros and cons of winter tyres by the third reply then there's something seriously wrong.

Surprised at Goodridge not listing. Might be worth a call to CAM in St Albans. Otherwise I know a mate had some made by Furore for his (I think) Evo.

2 hours ago, rich1068 said:

Have you used an online car forum before Chazz? If you start a thread about stainless steel braided brake lines and we're not talking about the pros and cons of winter tyres by the third reply then there's something seriously wrong.

Surprised at Goodridge not listing. Might be worth a call to CAM in St Albans. Otherwise I know a mate had some made by Furore for his (I think) Evo.

Fair point. I guess I be a bit serious at times, and being new to the forum, I guess nobody was to know I'm possibly a bit more mechanically competent than the average forum-goer. 

Cheers for the heads up, I'll ring around the manufacturers of SS lines and see if they've got any patterns in their libraries already. 

First stop, CAM in St Albans..

• 4 weeks later...

Given that 'ordinary' brake flexible pipes will last 15-20 years or more, why not stick with that?

https://www.eurocarparts.com/brake-hose-and-brake-pipe

£25-30, job done. It is a luxury cruiser. We waft, we do not drive. That is why we buy it.

If you want to spend money on enhancements.......change the oil every 5,000 miles.

• 2 months later...

Nice to know you have instant stopping power with the miriade of young people these days stepping into the Road with their mobile phones glued to their ears and their Brains somewhere else!  Having changed the Rotors and pads (to Mintex) at the time its not easy to determine if they make a difference, but the car was lethal when I bought it.

Now, its the best stopping power I've ever experienced.

7 hours ago, runsgrateasanut said:

Nice to know you have instant stopping power with the miriade of young people these days stepping into the Road with their mobile phones glued to their ears and their Brains somewhere else! 

Had one do exactly that today. Didn't even look up before crossing and then just gave me the finger when he noticed I was about 3 feet away from him. Truly bizarre.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links