Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

puncture repair kit replacement

Shd995

ive used my puncture repair kit that came with the CT a couple months ago and the sealant has all been used up. on my last service they recommended a replacement which costs... £115! typical lexus. anyone know if there is a way to refill the sealant alone because it seems pointless having to purchase a whole new kit.

using the tyre repair goo is the biggest mistake you made due to the cost of replacing it

i always buy a can of tyre weld and have that in the boot as its the cheapest option to use,

but i would now keep the empty can because you can now use the compressor to inflate

your tyres with this empty can fitted to the compressor, you can then get to a tyre centre

and have the puncture repaired.

On 26/11/2017 at 9:01 AM, rich1068 said:

Could you not get a space saver tyre instead? I know which I'd prefer 

Alternatively https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lexus-Smart-Emergency-Repair-Compressor/dp/B01002Q844

ive seen the space saver tyre and unfortunately it takes up way too much space. i use the underfloor storage for tools and equipment which is handy. thanks for the links guys

I know I'm tempting fate when I say this but in over 40 years of driving, I've only ever had two punctures, three at the very most, and all more than 20 years ago. The last 11 or so years have been without a spare of any kind because my LPG tank lives in the spare wheel well. 'Space Saver' tyres are an oxymoron because they don't save any space when you have to put them in the luggage compartment.

A can of Holts Tyreweld and a compressor can and will handle most eventualities, the breakdown people will deal with the ones they can't.

• Like 2

On ‎29‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 8:18 PM, sorcerer said:

I know I'm tempting fate when I say this but in over 40 years of driving, I've only ever had two punctures, three at the very most, and all more than 20 years ago. The last 11 or so years have been without a spare of any kind because my LPG tank lives in the spare wheel well. 'Space Saver' tyres are an oxymoron because they don't save any space when you have to put them in the luggage compartment.

A can of Holts Tyreweld and a compressor can and will handle most eventualities, the breakdown people will deal with the ones they can't.

I agree. That's what I pay the recovery people for. Besides, you can be sure that the day you have a puncture it will be 1) raining, 2) in darkness, 3) on the motorway or on a dual carriageway  or that the bolts will be so tight you won't be able to remove them!... and of course it will be the day you are wearing your best suit!

• Like 1

Would you believe it, I had a puncture on my way to work this morning! :rolleyes:

And it was not raining, it was not dark, I was driving along a single track road, I was wearing jeans... and mobile phone signal was excellent! :yes:

Thankfully, my plug-in compressor was in the boot and the tyre held enough pressure to allow me to drive to the nearest tyre place where they replaced the punctured rear tyre, and my two front tyres that I was going to get replaced at the weekend.

Edit: this was not with our RX, but our Pug 208 runabout

• 3 years later...

I realise this is an old thread, but hoping someone might reply.

Does anyone know how accurate the expiry dates are on the Lexus sealant in the compressor bottle? 
I have a puncture this morning, and have never used the sealant before, but it has an expiry date of September 2014 😱.

I’m thinking I’d be best not using it and jacking up and walking with the wheel to get it fixed. Luckily car is on my drive. Or is that something that my home start cover with the RAC would cover?

I appreciate any advice.

Thanks

Duncan

This is what I have been using the last many years on mountain-bike. Never had to walk home.

Was not made for mountain bike but sure does function well.

Fill in when tyre is flat, use the inflator from the car and off you go a couple of kilometres, Refill air if a bit of air pressure has been lost (not likely) and home you go. When coming to get the tyre changed your repair man will not swear at you like he would if you had used latex filled sealant. The sealant can be washed completely away with lukewarm water.

https://quadboss.com/1-gallon-tire-sealant

On 8/10/2021 at 10:43 AM, djc46 said:

I realise this is an old thread, but hoping someone might reply.

Does anyone know how accurate the expiry dates are on the Lexus sealant in the compressor bottle? 
I have a puncture this morning, and have never used the sealant before, but it has an expiry date of September 2014 😱.

I’m thinking I’d be best not using it and jacking up and walking with the wheel to get it fixed. Luckily car is on my drive. Or is that something that my home start cover with the RAC would cover?

I appreciate any advice.

Thanks

Duncan

The Lexus manual makes a very specific point about sealant expiry dates.  It emphasises that the sealant should NOT be used after the expiry date!

It states that the sealant degrades over time and will not be effective.  If you have RAC Home Start then that sounds like a good call to make.

However, it really comes down to the nature of the puncture - and the state of the tyre.  Ultimately you may be better off replacing the tyre.

And get yourself a SpaceSaver tyre!  It’s by far the better option than the sealant kit

Maybe sealant is more easily removed these days but there was a time when its use meant replacing the tyre.  

You can indeed go many years without a puncture and averaged out over the years I haven't had many though it happened twice in a week once.  I try not to pull in too close to the kerb as this increases the risk due to nails and screws being washed into gutters.  The last time was not long after I bought my RX, so it's a matter of luck!

I wouldn't buy a car that didn't have at least a space saver.  Unfortunately, this leaves a much reduced choice. 

2 hours ago, Barry14UK said:

Maybe sealant is more easily removed these days but there was a time when its use meant replacing the tyre.  

You can indeed go many years without a puncture and averaged out over the years I haven't had many though it happened twice in a week once.  I try not to pull in too close to the kerb as this increases the risk due to nails and screws being washed into gutters.  The last time was not long after I bought my RX, so it's a matter of luck!

I wouldn't buy a car that didn't have at least a space saver.  Unfortunately, this leaves a much reduced choice. 

Sealant containing latex is sticky and hard to get off. Have ruined bike clothes before I found sealant without latex.

Lexus sealant has latex in it. Will not use that. Do not want to risk the air pressure sensors.

1 hour ago, Las Palmas said:

Sealant containing latex is sticky and hard to get off. Have ruined bike clothes before I found sealant without latex.

Lexus sealant has latex in it. Will not use that. Do not want to risk the air pressure sensors.

That’s an important point.  Not only can the sealant affect the TPMS valves, but many - if not most - tyre dealers will not touch a tyre in which it has been used.  The sealant is very hard to remove and not really an economic proposition.

• Like 2