Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

LS430 parking brake shoes - equivalents

My parking brake shoes could do with replacing, and I've noticed that those for various other Lexus / Toyota models share the same dimensions (25 x 190mm, give or take), and are the same shape as far as I can see.  Aftermarket versions of these are much cheaper than those listed for the LS430.  Does anyone know if they will fit?

Quite a few years ago it was common to send the shoes for a re-lining via your motor factor who would send them to a factory.

There are a few clips and pins in attaching the shoes so there could be different versions. Having said that, surely they will be the same on cost control grounds in the manufacturing process. 

Blueprint will make them at a decent price but worth checking a dealership too. Are you sure they don’t require adjustment? 

No idea on size or if they'll fit but just remember that Lexus/Toyota don't make brakes/batteries/tyres/exhausts or such things, they just buy in from those who do make them, add a markup and sell them on, so you should be able to find what you want 'out there' as opposed to main dealers.

Hello and welcome to the LOC.

Rarely do the parking brake shoes need replacing, generally a good clean,roughing up and adjustment restores the efficiency but if they do need replacing the part number is 46530-50020.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, steve2006 said:

but if they do need replacing the part number is 46530-50020.

It is always worth checking your nearest Lexus main dealer price for parts, sometimes some things are not ''much'' more expensive, far less trouble to obtain & far less worry that they will be the right fit.

• Like 1

Thanks for your help so far.

My shoes have been chewed by rusty drums - looks as though the previous owner never used the parking brake.

For what it is, I'm looking to use aftermarket parts, which are a fraction of the price of original - I've seen a full set of Mintex GX shoes for under £20, which will do fine - if they will ft the LS!

Well you’ll need new discs obviously and Mintex or their distributors will be able to advise on the fitment.

I know price can be very important but it is true you get what you pay for. I’d stick with OE but would work hard to get the best price. Especially with brakes as even quality replacements can be poor. I’ve had this from Renault, Merc, Porsche & Jag. Having said that, after a squeaky start, the Mintex set-up on my Jag are performing well.

My LS400 will get OE. Need to replace front discs and pads.

• 1 year later...
On 11/26/2017 at 7:47 PM, DNSEY said:

Thanks for your help so far.

My shoes have been chewed by rusty drums - looks as though the previous owner never used the parking brake.

For what it is, I'm looking to use aftermarket parts, which are a fraction of the price of original - I've seen a full set of Mintex GX shoes for under £20, which will do fine - if they will ft the LS!

Hi

Sorry to reply to a posting from 2017........here's hoping!

Did you have any luck with the Mintex shoes, I am looking for replacement parking brake shoes for my 430 and I seem to be going through the same

loops that you went through with aftermarket parts.

ScottC

Hi

Thank you for that, they look very good.

I have ordered from buycarparts.co.uk and with delivery the set of 4 is less than £22.00.

Lexus parts were £20.49 + vat each so quite a saving.

As people will point out you get what you pay for...………I will report back once they are fitted.

ScottC

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

The ABS 9301 parking brake shoes turned up and they fit fine.

The hold down pin/washer assembly was a bit corroded so I bought replacements from a local motor factor.

Bit of a fiddly job to be honest, top tips would be to put masking tape over the friction linings to stop them getting copper grease on

them during assembly, and to compress the hold down springs with cable ties so you are not having to compress them whilst fitting the

hold down washer.

Cut the ties off once assembled.

A spring hook really helps with the larger of the 2 springs, the smaller one is easy with pliers .

ScottC

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links