Sybaris

Keyless Key Fob Signal Blocking

Hello

Does anyone know if the keyless entry key fob is at risk from thieves using wifi signal amplifiers?  Thieves are starting to use wireless signal relay boxes that can pick up key fobs 300 feet away and redirect the signal to the car, making it think they have the key with them.  I have seen some videos on you tube and this kind of theft is becoming more widely reported on.  Has Lexus even responded to this if it is a problem?

Firstly I would like to say that I don't no the person or have anything to do with the company selling this product

i don't, no do any of my friends or family make this product

I just thought I would let you all no of a cheep product that would help keep you pride and joy safer.

after reading on this form about potential theft of our loved Lexus cars, and how they can now use a detector from out side your house and scan for your keys anywhere in your house  I decided do give this product a go, and can say that it works perfectly, once the keys were in the pouch I stood next to the car and the boot and doors would not open, I took the keys out of the pouch, got in the car, put the keys back in the pouch and the car would not start, ( a message saying " Keys not detected ).

I brought 2 of this , one for my spare set of keys and one for my general use keys.

At less then £3 each I think it was a very good buy.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Keyless-Key-Entry-Fob-Guard-Signal-Blocker-Faraday-Bag-Version-for-Phone/232535957664?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

• Like 1

Looks a good idea, and the cost is minimal. Or just stick your keys in the fridge, a microwave oven or a tin box. All would be enough to block out any threat from what I understand. 

• Like 1

Hi, I would like to share how I handle with this issue. You can just switch off your key fob.  If you press and hold the lock button and in the same time press quickly  twice the unlock button the key fob stops the transmitting. So no one is able to catch the signal. Of course, it is not very convenient to do it every time but you can decide whether to do it or not. There is one more benefit - in this way you will safe your Battery life for long time.

36 minutes ago, Lexus-fan said:

Hi, I would like to share how I handle with this issue. You can just switch off your key fob.  If you press and hold the lock button and in the same time press quickly  twice the unlock button the key fob stops the transmitting. So no one is able to catch the signal. Of course, it is not very convenient to do it every time but you can decide whether to do it or not. There is one more benefit - in this way you will safe your Battery life for long time.

Sounds good. Does it just wake up again once you press a button?

Yes. I missed it - if you press a button, it doesn’t matter which one, the device wakes up.

On ‎26‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 12:55 PM, Sybaris said:

Thieves are starting to use wireless signal relay boxes that can pick up key fobs 300 feet away and redirect the signal to the car, making it think they have the key with them.  I have seen some videos on you tube and this kind of theft is becoming more widely reported on.  Has Lexus even responded to this if it is a problem?

If the box is redirecting the signal from the genuine key should they get in the car would the car not stop a little way up the road saying key not detected as it moves out of the range of the relay box ability to pick up the signal.

My understanding with keyless go is the car will run normally until the ignition is cycled. Once switched off the engine will not restart but by then the thieves could be 100s of miles away.

Was in my Lexus dealer yesterday, asked them about the key fob problem - they had no idea, they know the answer now - did get their attention when demo'ed on my Lexus

Some great information in here, thanks. I've just 'switched off' my spare key. Not much point in having it sat in my desk drawer looking for a car all the time. I'll start doing this for the main key as I walk in every night too. Mind you, I doubt that any Lexus beyond a GS-F, LFA or IS-F would ever be the target of thieves who do this sort of thing anyway.