Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Keyless Key Fob Signal Blocking

Hello

Does anyone know if the keyless entry key fob is at risk from thieves using wifi signal amplifiers?  Thieves are starting to use wireless signal relay boxes that can pick up key fobs 300 feet away and redirect the signal to the car, making it think they have the key with them.  I have seen some videos on you tube and this kind of theft is becoming more widely reported on.  Has Lexus even responded to this if it is a problem?

Firstly I would like to say that I don't no the person or have anything to do with the company selling this product

i don't, no do any of my friends or family make this product

I just thought I would let you all no of a cheep product that would help keep you pride and joy safer.

after reading on this form about potential theft of our loved Lexus cars, and how they can now use a detector from out side your house and scan for your keys anywhere in your house  I decided do give this product a go, and can say that it works perfectly, once the keys were in the pouch I stood next to the car and the boot and doors would not open, I took the keys out of the pouch, got in the car, put the keys back in the pouch and the car would not start, ( a message saying " Keys not detected ).

I brought 2 of this , one for my spare set of keys and one for my general use keys.

At less then £3 each I think it was a very good buy.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Keyless-Key-Entry-Fob-Guard-Signal-Blocker-Faraday-Bag-Version-for-Phone/232535957664?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

• Like 2

Looks a good idea, and the cost is minimal. Or just stick your keys in the fridge, a microwave oven or a tin box. All would be enough to block out any threat from what I understand. 

• Like 1

Hi, I would like to share how I handle with this issue. You can just switch off your key fob.  If you press and hold the lock button and in the same time press quickly  twice the unlock button the key fob stops the transmitting. So no one is able to catch the signal. Of course, it is not very convenient to do it every time but you can decide whether to do it or not. There is one more benefit - in this way you will safe your Battery life for long time.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Lexus-fan said:

Hi, I would like to share how I handle with this issue. You can just switch off your key fob.  If you press and hold the lock button and in the same time press quickly  twice the unlock button the key fob stops the transmitting. So no one is able to catch the signal. Of course, it is not very convenient to do it every time but you can decide whether to do it or not. There is one more benefit - in this way you will safe your battery life for long time.

Sounds good. Does it just wake up again once you press a button?

• Like 2

On ‎26‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 12:55 PM, Sybaris said:

Thieves are starting to use wireless signal relay boxes that can pick up key fobs 300 feet away and redirect the signal to the car, making it think they have the key with them.  I have seen some videos on you tube and this kind of theft is becoming more widely reported on.  Has Lexus even responded to this if it is a problem?

If the box is redirecting the signal from the genuine key should they get in the car would the car not stop a little way up the road saying key not detected as it moves out of the range of the relay box ability to pick up the signal.

My understanding with keyless go is the car will run normally until the ignition is cycled. Once switched off the engine will not restart but by then the thieves could be 100s of miles away.

Some great information in here, thanks. I've just 'switched off' my spare key. Not much point in having it sat in my desk drawer looking for a car all the time. I'll start doing this for the main key as I walk in every night too. Mind you, I doubt that any Lexus beyond a GS-F, LFA or IS-F would ever be the target of thieves who do this sort of thing anyway.

• 1 year later...

Following yet another Keyless Car Fob theft in my street this week, I tried the Fob Disabling Method given by another reader to this site. (You can just switch off your key fob. If you press and hold the lock button and in the same time press quickly  twice the unlock button the key fob stops the transmitting. So no one is able to catch the signal. Of course, it is not very convenient to do it every time but you can decide whether to do it or not. There is one more benefit - in this way you will safe your Battery life for long time), for the first time. The little lights on the key fob flashed to acknowledge buttons have been depressed. AND IT WORKS TOTALLY, PERFECTLY, SIMPLY (and hopefully) EVERY TIME. I stood next to the car, waived the fob in every direction - even tried to open the car door with the same hand that held the fob - NOTHING OPENED!!!!! And to activate the fob, just push any button - and it returns to normal!!!! 

Dont take my word for it .................try it! 

Good luck and safe car retention 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/6/2019 at 6:29 AM, Lexus Proud Owner said:

Following yet another Keyless Car Fob theft in my street this week, I tried the Fob Disabling Method given by another reader to this site. (You can just switch off your key fob. If you press and hold the lock button and in the same time press quickly  twice the unlock button the key fob stops the transmitting. So no one is able to catch the signal. Of course, it is not very convenient to do it every time but you can decide whether to do it or not. There is one more benefit - in this way you will safe your Battery life for long time), for the first time. The little lights on the key fob flashed to acknowledge buttons have been depressed. AND IT WORKS TOTALLY, PERFECTLY, SIMPLY (and hopefully) EVERY TIME. I stood next to the car, waived the fob in every direction - even tried to open the car door with the same hand that held the fob - NOTHING OPENED!!!!! And to activate the fob, just push any button - and it returns to normal!!!! 

Dont take my word for it .................try it! 

Good luck and safe car retention 

Totally agree. I posted this exact item some time ago. One reply I received was a fariday pouch was easier than switching the key off! 

IMHO if you need to carry a pouch, open it, insert the key into it then put it in your pocket why not press the two buttons on the key fob instead - simples!!

Well it's a thumbs up from me for this tip. Tried it over the weekend and it worked. Small inconvieneince in having to use the key fob to open the car again, but something I will soon get used to. Thanks for sharing. 👍

• Thanks 1

I too disable the key every night when I get home. I now do it out of habit and I prefer it to having to put the key in a pouch/tin.

• Thanks 1

I do both. Disable the fob and then stick it in a Faraday pouch. Why do you do that you might ask?

simples, I bought the pouch before reading the tip 😂😂 and it’s a neat storage place for my keys too.

I also got another pouch for the spare set and I have done exactly the same with that set, disabled the fob and put it away in the pouch.

Hope I remember where I put the keys now....... 

• 4 months later...

Relay attack works by using two connected transceivers to fool the car into thinking the key is by the car and the key into thinking the car is by the key. They do not need to understand the security only just to pass the same data back and forth bridging the additional distance.

I also have got into the routine of disabling the key at night with the button press sequence described in the thread above. But it does kind of spoil the convenience of why the feature was created in the first place.

If you can live without the keyless entry feature I believe you can disable door entry in the vehicle settings menu of the NX. For sure the dealer can disable.

I have heard that on some new cars the keys have a motion sensor and go to sleep after some period of being still.

2 hours ago, Barry7 said:

Just tried several times with my key fob, but unfortunately it still transmits. Must be doing something wrong?

What exactly have you tried?

2 minutes ago, Barry7 said:

Press and hold lock button and press the unlock twice. Then tried opening the door while the fob was in my hand. Opened as usual...........??

That's because this trick doesn't work for series 3 RXs, only series 4 from 2015/16 onwards I believe.

29 minutes ago, Barry7 said:

Press and hold lock button and press the unlock twice. Then tried opening the door while the fob was in my hand. Opened as usual...........??

I assume that you locked the car first, and then disabled the fob? - If it works, the small LED light on the fob should blink 4 times.

1 hour ago, Herbie said:

That's because this trick doesn't work for series 3 RXs, only series 4 from 2015/16 onwards I believe.

That will be why then, my one is a 2012............ Thanks though............... back to the cake tin!

• Like 1