Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Please can you help me in regards to a 250C purchase

Hi All,

i wonder if you can help me? I am looking to buy a IS250C. I have driven two so far. One on a sunny day last week, and one on yesterday’s very cold morning. Both from dealers. Last week, due to enjoying the sun and roof down motoring, I totally forgot to drive the car with the roof up. So yesterday I remembered to drive the second car, with both roof down and roof up! My first question is this: with the roof up there was a loud knocking noise which appeared to come from one of the roof sections, but it went when the roof was down. Is this normal for a 250C? As it was so loud I couldn’t live with it. If they are make that noise, I will sadly have to rethink buying one.

My second question is, all the reviews say words to the effect: they are no sports car, ride is comfortable but nothing thrilling. For those of you who own a 250C how do you find the handling of the car? I like a spirited drive every now and then, so would be interested in people’s opinions. Thank you. 

If I buy a 250C, I am looking for this to be a car I would be keeping for several years. Hence the questions. I hope that I have given you all enough information to get you started on some great replies. 

Thank you all in advance. 

Philip 

I owned one for eighteen months or so.  No loud knocking noise from the roof on mine, that sounds like a problem.  You get rattles from the roof cradle stowed in the boot, but easily solved with little rubber door wedges shoved in to stop the rattle.

It's a very comfortable grand tourer, too heavy to give blistering performance.  However, a spirited drive is possible, particularly when using the gear shift paddles.  All of my mileage was done in SW Wales on hilly, bendy A roads.....I had some fun.

I only changed it for my RX because of back trouble for which I needed an easier accessible vehicle.

Buy an IS250C, you'll have some fun, especially when the weather is good.....still miss mine.

DSC01036.JPG

Hi Steve,

Thank you for your kind reply.

It’s good to know that a spirited drive is possible. My brother has a Mercedes SL, which is a brilliant car, but I need 4 seats. I currently have an Audi A4 Quattro convertible, which is a great drive, but it rattles, and is getting very old and worn out. The electrics problems it has, has forced my hand to buy a new (to me) car. I love that Lexus made the 250C to function as a proper convertible and as such it has different body panels apart from the bonnet to a normal 250. 

I was very impressed with the 250C that I drove last week. I just need for the dealer to reduce the price a bit more, then hopefully I can deliver all my Christmas presents, with the top down and the heated seats on high, enjoying the fresh air with a massive smile on my face. 

Hi ,I agree with what Steve has written ,this car is big and heavy but will perform if you need to ' make progress'  .The roof should not rattle ,the chassis on this car has been strengthened to prevent flexing ; mine is as quiet as a saloon version .I see you state you need 4 seats ,my opinion is that the rear seats are minimal and the roof storage in the boot takes up a lot of room not leaving much for luggage ,is there less room in the Audi ? . Apart from this restriction they are brilliant cars ,

Dave

Can have fun with it for sure and its a great GT car - you do feel some flex in the body when pushing really really hard with roof down but not a problem at all.

The rear seats are definitely smaller than the saloon so make sure they're the right size for you

I think the Audi may have more rear space but double check.

I had a 250C from 2010 until 2013 and it was a joy to own. Fast enough to enjoy a drive through country roads, use the paddles to change gear. Drove it with top down through France twice and everyone wanted to know what car it was. Mine was 100% reliable with no noises, so be careful about buying if it rattles.

Hi there 😁

Thank you so much for your replies, they have been so helpful. They have helped me to decide on getting a IS250C, I shall just be careful in choosing the right car. If it rattles I shall not be buying it 😎

I have sat in the back of a 250C, probably the one and only time I will 🙂 and they will be big enough for what I need. 97% of the time, it’s just me in the car, 2% it’s my wife and I, it’s the 1% when I will need four seats. Otherwise I might have been after a SC430! 

I tend not to drive cars fast on a test drive, so your comments have been very reassuring. I am hopefully going for another test drive on Wednesday, having driven 400 miles on Saturday, to drive one car that rattled, and couldn’t drive the second car due to a flat Battery!! Wednesday should only be a 180 mile round trip, but it is a very low mileage car. I am in no rush to buy, so will be patient and wait for the right car. 

I will keep you posted. 

Philip 

Hi Phillip we have recently bought an Is250c Limited Edition and they are very comfortable cruisers and great with the roof down.There are rattles from the boot parcel shelf area when the roof is up but i am working on these,it doesn't bother the better half who's car it is but i'm a bit more fussy.

Make sure you go for the SE-L top spec with memory seats as well as cooled seats.The back seats  are fine for the occasional use they will get and do have more room than the sc430.

We had an Audi A4 cab Auto a few years back and really enjoyed it,probably one of the best looking four seater cabs about really.Did you not like the A5 or like us did you just want an hard top rather than a rag top?

Couple of pics.

DSC01738.JPG

DSC02991.JPG

Hi Eamonn,

Thanks for your reply. I will be going for the SE-L. In fact I am going for a test drive tomorrow 😆 I shall be checking for rattles with roof up and down. 

I partly wanted a metal roof, partly wanted some luxury and partly the faults on my A4, put me off the A5. I also fancied a car that no many others have 😎 and couldn’t bring myself the go to the dark side and buy a BMW. 

• Like 1

Hi All,

I have been for my test drive.

The car was new in and they had not had chance to Prep it. So it was good to see it in its raw state. It has 28,004 miles, 4 owners, FLSH, a few minor scratches/marks, and a few stone chips on the body work. It drove very well with roof up and down, no bangs or rattles. It also has ML upgrade. The car is dark grey and it has black leather. 

After a lot of haggling and walking away from the deal, a better deal was offered me, and I have put down a deposit and pick it up soon. Hopefully the weekend. Depending on how long it takes the check it over and put it through the body shop to look at marks and stone chips. 

F5FECB1C-65D0-4FAD-A41A-1F1B7B13DBFF.jpeg

3743C771-6FC2-4C76-B712-232BBD48ECEF.jpeg

E1996CDC-B25B-4CD4-9E7E-A607B60769F0.jpeg

• Like 1

Hi Steve,

I am looking forward to many a happy mile with her. Do Lexus owners name their cars. It’s not something I do, but am open to suggestions? It’s a shame that your back didn’t like the IS250C. I have been driving convertibles for about 20 years now, but this will be my first hard top one! 

Hi Dave,

This was car No 4 that I had looked at. If it was no good I was going to buy the one local to me (25 miles away!) that had 21,000 but was pricey at £15,000. Having now done 630 miles looking at cars, I am glad that the hunt is over and I can soon start to experience Lexus ownership and more importantly the Lexus driving experience 😎

I have checked MOT history tonight, so will be having a good look at the tyres when I pick her up. Will get the brake pads looked at when I get her home. 

FA99DDC5-FE70-4EC4-8F30-E5405B904454.png

C639E6D9-258C-474E-82B2-70F3DED533B5.png

CE07B90B-6051-4923-947A-0F3EC98814B2.png

Nice looking motor. You will love it I'm sure. It will be like gliding around on Aladdin's carpet. 

If I was going to suggest anything I'd recommend getting yearly checks done on the greasing of the caliper slide pins. If you are at all mechanically minded and enjoy a bit of spannering then do it yourself. There are some very good guides here on the forum and it's not that difficult. The correct grease MUST be used. I can point you at the guides if you want to view them.

Lexus don't even look at servicing of calipers they just want them to seize and then charge you a premium for changing them.

Failing that use a reliable indy who knows what needs doing and how to do it correctly.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hello Normski2

Can you point me to the way to find and grease these caliper sliding pins? Is it a Lexus grease, or? 

The rear noise on my 2009 IS250C SE-L with just 28k miles has increased recently and is spoiling what is otherwise a splendid, quiet, tourer. There’s no noise with the top down.

After 2.5 years and 14k miles, I can either dawdle or chuck the car about. Strangely, it uses less fuel when driven with verve. My average in mixed use is 30.8mpg.

Thank you.

Next to collect my long-sought SC430. Having driven a 2013 SL350, the SC430 is an amazing bargain.

There are a couple of excellent write ups by noobie on this subject. The grease you need s Toyota red rubber grease.Try a search of the forum to find the guides noobie put up.

I'm out tonight. If no one has popped some links up I'll do them tomorrow when I get to work.

Cheers