Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Wing Mirror Replacement

About a month ago my passenger-side wing mirror started making a loud clicking noise when activated, worse upon closing than opening, and audible

from as far away as 15-20m.   There was no visible damage and I had no evidence of the mirror having been forced out of position by way of mischief.

I reported the problem when I took the car for its 30000km service last week and, after inspecting the mechanism and housing, the dealer declared

himself to be mystified and ordered an entire replacement under warranty.   Having expected a quick on-the-spot repair, I was surprised.   Pleasantly,

of course.   Out of curiosity, does anybody know what the replacement and fitting costs would be outside warranty?

Massive... Just quoted for IS250 and it was £655.28 for mirror +£60 fitting. I believe RC mirror ~900 for the part, though you might need just a housing and thus you might be able to save glass which then would make it ~£300 cheaper (that is if the sell them by part, mine was sold only as a unit).

• 4 weeks later...

The replacement mirror - a complete unit - was fitted this morning and it has been nice to have a silent one again.   An inspection of the

original provided no ready explanation for the clicking, the only noticeable anomaly being the presence of a tiny residual strip of badly-

removed protective factory wrapping (not used for the replacement, supplied boxed in a plastic bag) which had become twisted around

the pin connecting the mirror's housing and arm.   It is possible that this bit of plastic, which had not been visible before disassembly,

was causing the housing to swivel very slightly off-axis, but since there were no signs of friction on the paintwork, it is unlikely to have

been responsible for any kind of noise, let alone loud clicking.  So this remains something of a mysterious episode, fortunately now past.