Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Audi have some good finance offers on the A6 at the moment, and it now comes with petrol engines below the S6. An 1.8 TFSI steptronic with a couple of extras would be a very close match for my 250 Luxury (spec wise - leather, Sat Nav etc) - and with lower tax and better MPG, for a smallish increase in finance per month. Not sure i really want to swap my Lexus though. Does anyone have any experience\thoughts on the current Audi A6?

I haven't had any experience on the A6 but I did have 2 Audi S4 before I got into Lexus. It was a 99 T reg in kingfisher blue, it had 97000 miles on when I bought it, I took it 243000 miles and didn't any major issues at all. The only issues I had were wear and tear issues like brake pads and discs and upper and lower arms, I used to get it serviced once a year and what a beast it was. Oh and I had the clutch replaced once. If i were to buy a German, then it would be an Audi, but manual as I do know they did have issues with auto gearboxes 

13 minutes ago, Lev's 250 said:

Hi, I have been thinking the same thing. But can’t make up my mind really don’t want to change from lexus maybe look at a hybrid my has a is300h £10 to tax!!. 

yes Im the same. Id prefer a GS300h but I really dont like the new front end, and prefer something bigger than an IS. I will probably stick rather than twist!

Audi have some good finance offers on the A6 at the moment, and it now comes with petrol engines below the S6. An 1.8 TFSI steptronic with a couple of extras would be a very close match for my 250 Luxury (spec wise - leather, Sat Nav etc) - and with lower tax and better MPG, for a smallish increase in finance per month. Not sure i really want to swap my Lexus though. Does anyone have any experience\thoughts on the current Audi A6?
I've just sold my 12 plate a6 2.0 tdi( i know not a brand new one) but what a beautiful car it was big everyone stared at it you felt like a proper baller lol but boring is a under statement I was struggling to stay awake on a 2 hour drive it was so comfy you felt like you weren't in control.....so if it was me I would definatly look elsewhere if you want a bit of fun aswell.
Hope this helps and good luck with your search for summit new [emoji106].

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Can you get proper leather upholstery on the A6 ? I was driven in few A6/E and all of them got this terrible leather - it just doesn't feel right. Maybe cab drivers didn't bother to pay extra for it or maybe it is just how it is. 

To defend Mercedes, last time I were lucky and S class came, and this time it was a proper nice soft leather like on mine GS.

Beside that I like all that illumination option on the rear seats. All cars were the newest models.

Oh, I also love the seat belt on the S class why no-one never thought about it.  It is nice soft and thick. Like two sheet of material put together with some nice soft filling.

Mercedes is synthetic leather (Artico) unless you pay extra. BMW Audi use real leather on the main bits eg seat base and back, but fake on other bits - seat rear, door trims. Lexus use real leather everywhere. Im not looking at the E class as the cheapest petrol is the E43 AMG which is out of budget. I have sat in new though and its pretty nice.

Don't go on reviews. Journalists are (obviously) paid to write something and disgruntled owners are always more vocal than happy ones. If you like the car go and have a look, try and get an extended drive and if it goes well then buy one. But don't go on reviews. 

49 minutes ago, rich1068 said:

Don't go on reviews. Journalists are (obviously) paid to write something and disgruntled owners are always more vocal than happy ones. If you like the car go and have a look, try and get an extended drive and if it goes well then buy one. But don't go on reviews. 

Was more highlighting owners reports of total elecrical failures and steering failures....plus all the niggles. Just highlights Lexus quality

If i believed road tests Id never had owned 2 x Lexus!

2 hours ago, Jamesf1 said:

Was more highlighting owners reports of total elecrical failures and steering failures....plus all the niggles. Just highlights Lexus quality

If i believed road tests Id never had owned 2 x Lexus!

I think you'd struggle with that engine to be honest. 

The 1.8TFSI is fine in the A4/A5 but doesn't suit the character of the A6 and is a weed, really needs ringing out to get anywhere.

Electrical failures of the honest john reports are accurate - brother in law has gone through 3 A6's - he changes car every year and they were all riddled with electrical gremlins. These were the 3.0l TDIs but I would presume it would be similiar across the range. Last one was a Bi turbo. 

BMW do a petrol engine in the new 5er which is a decent unit. 

Personally I would wait a bit - there's a new GS on the horizon

I had a very bad experience in 2001 with an Audi A4 2.8 Quattro and have avoided them since (6 months out of warranty broke a camshaft due to metal fatigue).  I have a friend who's brother works at a main dealer and 3 months ago he told me that on a Monday morning the place is full of broken down cars all under warranty. I think for reliability Lexus is hard to beat. 

I could also add plenty of anecdotal evidence of poor reliability for VAG products (BMW and Merc too, for that matter). I will happily put up with Toyota's cheap plastics and Lexus's shonky infotainment in return for the absolute confidence they give me in their longevity and reliability.

I would also add one more factor, which is likely to be irrelevant to most sensible people who can see past such fatuous concerns, but the fact is that I simply couldn't bear to be seen driving a modern Audi. In my head, the image they project is just awful. Pathetic, I know, but that's still a major part of why I ended up in a left-field Lexus!

About the dark side. I'm slowly thinking what my next car will be. For now obvious choice is GS (most probably post facelift) but my wife really likes the current Jaguar XJ design.

As I don't like diesels and 5.0 V8 is a little bit too much only option would be 3.0 SC. Anyone got any experience with XJ or/and that engine ? I believe Jaguar F-Type got the same one.

7 hours ago, Hangie said:

About the dark side. I'm slowly thinking what my next car will be. For now obvious choice is GS (most probably post facelift) but my wife really likes the current Jaguar XJ design.

As I don't like diesels and 5.0 V8 is a little bit too much only option would be 3.0 SC. Anyone got any experience with XJ or/and that engine ? I believe Jaguar F-Type got the same one.

Jaguar XJ is huge! It's more of an LS competitor. 

3.0 supercharged engine is a peach although not as great in the XJ as it is in the F-type and XE because of extra mass. You won't get more than 18 mpg in town though and certainly no more than 27-30 on motorway.  

JLR reliability is shocking too. Probably one of the least reliable companies going at the minute and arguably worse than even the Germans

I'm also considering the LS but as for now it is a bit too expensive and got this feeling that a child seat doesn't fit it too well ;)

18mpg is not the best one but I could live with it. What is more worrying is the reliability. I know the Germans are they best I would expect more from the JLR.

Saying that my colleague bought brand new Evoque and got problems with the fuel system in the 1st year...

1 hour ago, Hangie said:

I'm also considering the LS but as for now it is a bit too expensive and got this feeling that a child seat doesn't fit it too well ;)

18mpg is not the best one but I could live with it. What is more worrying is the reliability. I know the Germans are they best I would expect more from the JLR.

Saying that my colleague bought brand new Evoque and got problems with the fuel system in the 1st year...

No Problem fitting car seats in the LS. I have 4 Grandchildren and all their seats fit into mine (not all at once) without any problems.

I'm not worried about a technical bits but about the car image. Plus it got quite often rear seats message system etc so it is a bit of waste to put child seat on top of that :) 

Somehow in my head it is the car to enjoy from the rear seat while being driven by a driver - like Bentley or RR. It might be wrong of course. 

Check out the rear seats options here: https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201605204153168?make=LEXUS&advertising-location=at_cars&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&radius=1500&sort=sponsored&model=LS 600H&postcode=bh189pa&page=2 

4 hours ago, Hangie said:

Yes the JLR group have problems very often. Not a brand I would keep out of warranty that's for sure

10 hours ago, rayaans said:

Yes the JLR group have problems very often. Not a brand I would keep out of warranty that's for sure

Neither would I. They have never been good. 20 years ago my dads 110 defender went through 3 gearbox's in as many years and as a result spent many weeks off the road. The roof leaked and knackered the electrics, and after a service they didnt fit the oil filter properly, and that was lucky not to have killed the engine - almost all the oil came out within a few miles of leaving the dealership. All within 3 years from new. He then bought a Sierra estate, that did 230,000 miles without issue.

Wife just bought a 17 jag xf r sport awd, and its belting. Bit under powered being the 2l jlr diesel, but is an alloy block and drives better than the old Ford lumps. everything else seems great. She likely not keep for more than a year or two from warranty, if it's first years are ok, heres hoping though, but was impressed by most of the standard kit, considering she hasnt tricked it out that much at all. No ele seats, but has remote start... strange, but mpg is brilliant for a large car, double my gs even being the awd. recommended servicing at 24mths or 20k miles but, tax not so good with the surcharge though.... swines.

All car can present issues, and offer compromises, you just got to give them a go and see what you like or don't and decide from there.

Would I swap my 1/10th price cheapo gs for it.... Not unless I could sell it... too slow 😁

On 05/12/2017 at 9:54 PM, Upex said:

Wife just bought a 17 jag xf r sport awd, and its belting. Bit under powered being the 2l jlr diesel, but is an alloy block and drives better than the old Ford lumps. everything else seems great. She likely not keep for more than a year or two from warranty, if it's first years are ok, heres hoping though, but was impressed by most of the standard kit, considering she hasnt tricked it out that much at all. No ele seats, but has remote start... strange, but mpg is brilliant for a large car, double my gs even being the awd. recommended servicing at 24mths or 20k miles but, tax not so good with the surcharge though.... swines.

All car can present issues, and offer compromises, you just got to give them a go and see what you like or don't and decide from there.

Would I swap my 1/10th price cheapo gs for it.... Not unless I could sell it... too slow 😁

No electric seats?! In a Jaguar?! They should be ashamed of themselves.

The GS300h F-Sport comes with electric everything

I know, I was shocked as well, but given they will only be adjusted about 4 times a year, decided that the weight saving was worth it, although still a cheap out on a £43k motor 

On the subject of JLR quality - just found an owners forum for the new Range Rover Velar. The faults and issues section is chock full of everything from software issues, rattles, creaks, burning smells, air cn faults, paint defects, reversing camera falling off, to air suspension failing 1 hour after pick up from new. Unbelievably bad quality for a car which starts at £45k and only came out 5 months ago!! A 70's BL car was better than this :-)