Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Mintex pads, any good?

The-Acre

• 4 weeks later...

Had Mintex on a Hillman Imp and a Polo in the 1970s. They were great.

Had my LS430 all changed with Pagid from EuroCarParts. They were cheap, top performance, lots of grip and 'feel'. Perfect. The young mechanic that fitted them said they were the easiest pads he had ever fitted!

On 24/12/2017 at 10:41 PM, MLW said:

Had Mintex on a Hillman Imp and a Polo in the 1970s. They were great.

Had my LS430 all changed with Pagid from EuroCarParts. They were cheap, top performance, lots of grip and 'feel'. Perfect. The young mechanic that fitted them said they were the easiest pads he had ever fitted!

I did end up buying Pagid as replies were in short supply!  And I agree, I can't think of an easier car to fit pads on.

I suggested to my mechanic 'bedding them in' with some hard breaking, but he said no, that will glaze them, so I gently bedded them over about 100 miles. Good advise as they have a great feel and bite.

• 1 month later...

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, MLW said:

Is there a retaining screw on the discs, and is it easy to get out (i.e. not corroded)?

As I recall the disc just comes away when the wheel is removed (front anyway). So important to clean the hub with a wire brush so the mating surfaces are flat.  

Sorry for the delay responding.

Phil is correct, there is no retaining screw, but there are 2 x threaded holes to help you remove the old rotor if the thing is stuck fast. Not sure if it is an M6 or M8 bolt size? Screwing the bolt into the holes forces the rotor off the hub.

You will need to remove (or at least I did) the 2 x caliper bolts in order to remove the old rotor. I must confess I didn't attempt to remove without doing this as some cars do allow enough space - I had an old Elan M100 that only required the pads to be removed.

Anyway, Phil's point about cleaning the hub before putting the new rotors in places is essential together with a little copper or silicone gunk.