Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

rc-f gs-f spare wheel possible buy?

What's the smallest wheel that will fit on the rear? If you have a front wheel puncture couldn't you fit the spare to the rear and use the rear on the front? They way you don't need to carry such a large spare?

On the GS F the TVD electronics sit in the spare wheel well - that represents a bit of the problem. Is the RC F the same?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

What's the smallest wheel that will fit on the rear? If you have a front wheel puncture couldn't you fit the spare to the rear and use the rear on the front? They way you don't need to carry such a large spare?

On the GS F the TVD electronics sit in the spare wheel well - that represents a bit of the problem. Is the RC F the same?

@ColinBarber On the Carbon I'm guessing it is my Rcf doesn't have TVD and the well is empty...... I'm happy to say, the tyre/wheel is somewhat wider at the back and possibly if you fitted a back on the front you'd probably have fouling issues...... maybe

Big Rat

1 minute ago, Comedian said:

Biggest issue is the front calipers. Back width doesn't really matter if fitting a skinny space saver does it?

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

My idea was to take the rear wheel and put it on the front - which will clear the calliper, and then use a skinny spare on the rear which will fit over the smaller brakes.

The issue BR mentioned is that the rear wheel/tyres might be too wide for the wheel arch/liner on the front. Something to try when I have some spare time....

• Like 1

The back wheel hub is quite a lot more inside so the rim has a larger offset from hub to outer edge. I suspect a back wheel will stick way out of the front arches.

Bit of progress made today. Decided to just make our own spacer. Material purchased. Hub centric and wheel centric sides machined. Stud and nut positions marked. Just need the studs and nuts to arrive before checking dimensions and doing the final cuts...

IMG-20180227-WA0006.jpg

IMG-20180227-WA0005.jpg

• Like 2

Resurrecting this topic, I've seen a lot of correspondence about making other wheels fit with spacers etc, but why can Lexus not provide one?  I asked soon after buying the car and was told there isn't one listed, but I'm sure they are available in other countries, those that require a spare to be carried. What I'm suggesting now is that all the RCF's and GSF's have to go in for the fuel pump recall soon, so when we're in the dealers,ask the question again. They will of course say no. We can then all (those that feel strongly enough)  take the issue  to Lexus Customer Services. If we all start making a noise they will have to start taking notice. As it happens I have their MD's email address so if we get nowhere with Customer Services it can be escalated.

I know the spare won't fit in the GSF wheel well because it's full of TVD electronics but the boot is big enough that if you wanted  to carry a spare in a bag the other luggage would still fit.

What does everybody think?

Graham

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

They will only supply one to a car with a VIN number that that spare wheel is allocated to on the computer.

I myself have fallen in to the trap of applying common sense to what they should do.

And of course, no UK cars have had a spare wheel allocated. Utter BS. Which is why we collectively need to make a noise, to get them to change their stance. There is absolutely no technical reason why a spare wheel should not be available, so those owners who want one can purchase one.Other comments are invited.

• Like 2

I don't think it will make an ounce of difference even if 100's were asking for them. It could influence unreleased models to come, but I highly doubt they would engineer a pack to sell for cars that have been in production for years. There will have been good reasons why one wasn't offered, I'm sure it wasn't a rash decision, so a few of us asking for them is unlikely to change their minds.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 08ISF said:

There is absolutely no technical reason why a spare wheel should not be available, so those owners who want one can purchase one.

I agree with you. 

Rang there PR team number today all busy at the Swiss car show, anyway the guy to e-mail is.....

http://media.lexus.co.uk/pr_team/

Tech fella to speak to via e-mail is. Richard Seymour.

Ive tried emailing this office before all you get is the usual stock company spiels as to why your wasting your breath etc etc 

If others want to try be my guest and I've the money waiting if your successful in securing what we want...... oh I'll through in a free block paved driveway to the successful member........ trust me I'm a builder........:whistling:

Big Rat

I suppose we are guilty of not sharing all our dead ends which results in repeat questions we've already been through ourselves.

Although not the most desirable solution, it does seem to me that the Audi Space Saver with adaptor is the most pragmatic and timely solution.

[mention=54052]Comedian[/mention] In the broader scheme of things I think it probably is, mind you I could nip up to Lexus Towers and brick up the doors until such time they come up with goods....... no [emoji848]
[emoji232]
Do it! Do they have proper towers? Never knew that....i thought it would be some bland office space in Milton Keynes.

@ComedianI think I may have an issue bricking this one up...... the visibility out of full glass buildings tends to be quite good there's a very real possibility they may see me coming....... calls for 2 plan 'B' in one day.........🙄

IMG_0742.PNG.8bf0e32211799d968a2d943e8f76096e.PNG

I'm sure you could keep a low profile ;)

I have so many plans it read like a bottle of multi vitamins.

Isn't this down to type approval? If the vehicle was approved for sale without a spare wheel Lexus can't supply one without breaking the terms of the approval? They could get one approved when they get a model revision updated but they still wouldn't be allowed to supply one for older vehicles?

• Like 1