Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Oil Filter Housing Removal Tool

Texas

Ordered this yesterday from the 'Bay and hopefully it's the right one for my IS!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221859833552

I know it is not going to be SnapOn quality, more like SnapOff but for that giddy price inc del I thought it was rude not to!

if it lasts half a dozen times ( before I lose it more like) then in my motoring world that is gonna be years for the amount of miles I clock up.

cheers Paul m.

Hi, I don't want to rain on your parade but if you read the full description it is for the PLASTIC filler cap and the lexus is250 is not mentioned .In view of previous problems members have reported trying to remove the housing you may damage the housing or tool .I have removed a few of these and they can be very tight .My advice would be to puchase a more substantial tool either  LASER 4880  or SEALEY VS 7112 , Get the car as high as you can with safety; for added leverage  use a long bar 'there is a hex on the tool as well as the 3/8 drive so you can use a larger 1/2 drive socket 

Dave

Fair point, so I am in fact as lucky as a Mexican farmer then!  positive ( if there can be a positive here) is that it was only a quid!r

just looked at the spec of that Laser 4880 tool and it is 64.5mm and 14 flutes, the same spec, so do you think it will not physically fit the IS metal housing or it is for plastic types only somehow?

paul m.

Hi I have not physically seen this version,but I seem to remember from previous posts that the 'castle ' type spigot is not as deep as the Laser tool and can climb out of the recesses when the cap is really tight .Just give it a try you have the part numbers for a tool that does work if it fails

Good luck  Dave

Hi just  checked the Laser catalogue ,they list 2 tools for lexus oil filter housings  ;5160 for prius  corolla  avensis    and  4880 for is250    both 64 m/m  but I can't see them making 2 tools for the same job .  Let us know how it goes 

dave

It came already and is nice and shiny ( as if that is gonna help anything but looks the part!)

don't plan on getting under the IS anytime soon so it may be a while before this thread is concluded...........

image.jpeg