Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

After collecting my 2008 GS 450h, I lifted the car mats (cream coloured mats and carpet) to discover a nasty stain at the base of the accelerator pedal, and around the foot rest.

I have cleaned it up as well as I can, but it will never look good. I've cleaned the mats, and bought a cheap set to cater for the cr@p that will inevitably find its way into the car from our unmade road.

I have as yet been unsuccessful in trying to track down availability of new / replacement carpets, or information about how big a job it would be to replace them.

Has anyone any experience in this field?

10 minutes ago, WSandME said:

After collecting my 2008 GS 450h, I lifted the car mats (cream coloured mats and carpet) to discover a nasty stain at the base of the accelerator pedal, and around the foot rest.

I have cleaned it up as well as I can, but it will never look good. I've cleaned the mats, and bought a cheap set to cater for the cr@p that will inevitably find its way into the car from our unmade road.

I have as yet been unsuccessful in trying to track down availability of new / replacement carpets, or information about how big a job it would be to replace them.

Has anyone any experience in this field?

What did you clean them up with and how did you do it? I can probably show you how to make it better.

Also, should be able to find mats from Lexus dealer if you want OEM or there are plenty of other manufacturers of mats like Carmats4u etc etc. Go for something between £35-60 and they should be very durable unless you get duped.

I recently broke an alfa gt, so nothing like your car, but getting the carpet out was a big job, ie all seats out, centre console out, seat belt holder out and various other bits of trim. I'd imagine the Lexus will be as bad, if not worse. I'd also hesitate yo say you'd find decent value replacement, likely a breakers best bet, but as not many going, they likely charge a bit, plus condition wise and if not ripped when removing.... guess you take your luck with that one.

Clean it up best you can, then stick some mats down. If worried about those areas, cover with sticky back plastic before putting mats down. Won't see it but will keep from getting wors, although from description, sounds like the Matt will cover those areas, ie it's been used without mats.

Best belt cleaning, to remove and soak them, but that's a chore. Extend fully and stick a bucket of detergent and hot water on seat. Lock belt at max extension and soak the belt as best you can. Give it a real good scrub with poly brush and work dirt out. Rinse then dry with towel, power towel then air or hair dryer, then leave out fully until real dry.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rayaans said:

What did you clean them up with and how did you do it? I can probably show you how to make it better.

First off, I studied the detailing story here: 

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=382716

I’m kicking myself now that I didn’t take any before - after photos for my own reference.

First I applied Wynns High-Foam Upholstery Cleaner which I happened to have lying around! and cleaned off. This removed surface soiling, but it became apparent the soiling was deep - in fact it looked as though oil had seeped up through the hinge at the bottom of the pedal and soaked into the carpet. Similarly around the plastic of the footrest.

I then sprayed a dilute (20:1) solution of AutoSmart G101 with a garden sprayer, while simultaneously hoovering it up using my aqua-vac. Rinse and repeat.

I did the same to the Lexus car mats, and they’re just about acceptable, but I’m happy enough with the eBay mats I’ve put in now for everyday use.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, WSandME said:

First off, I studied the detailing story here: 

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=382716

I’m kicking myself now that I didn’t take any before - after photos for my own reference.

First I applied Wynns High-Foam Upholstery Cleaner which I happened to have lying around! and cleaned off. This removed surface soiling, but it became apparent the soiling was deep - in fact it looked as though oil had seeped up through the hinge at the bottom of the pedal and soaked into the carpet. Similarly around the plastic of the footrest.

I then sprayed a dilute (20:1) solution of AutoSmart G101 with a garden sprayer, while simultaneously hoovering it up using my aqua-vac. Rinse and repeat.

I did the same to the Lexus car mats, and they’re just about acceptable, but I’m happy enough with the ebay mats I’ve put in now for everyday use.

Go down to 10:1 on the G101 and use warm water. Keep trying it over and over. 

To be honest, you should be agitating it with a brush. Should get better.

14 hours ago, stevet said:

I used a carpet cleaner from Aldi and the cream carpets came up like new. Just having trouble getting the cream seatbelts done if anyone has any recommendations?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For the seatbelts I used a steam cleaner alternating with some scrubbing and some G101.

Will try your Aldi carpet cleaner though as i've not had much luck so far on my cream carpets.

• Like 1

On 05/12/2017 at 9:28 AM, Normski said:

For the seatbelts I used a steam cleaner alternating with some scrubbing and some G101.

Will try your Aldi carpet cleaner though as i've not had much luck so far on my cream carpets.

If G101 can't lift it, unlikely that Aldi Carpet cleaner will touch it. I suspect the Aldi cleaner will be full of bleach - e.g. listed as oxidising agents which will make the stain invisible as such - but you can do that with vanish if you really want.

• 2 weeks later...

Chemical guys have an intensive fabric cleaner. It is a professional quality product and has removed stains from most fabrics and carpets in my home as well as our cars. You dilute it and spray it on. Dabbing with microfiber cloth then lifts out the dirt. My Grandson got his red fabric coated life jacket covered in black grease from a canal lock and it came out easily. The best fabric cleaner I have found so far. Murphys law that I needed to use it today I have just checked and the product is called Chemical Guys Lightning Fast Stain Extractor. you dilute it 20 to1. 

My son-in-law spilt a mug of hot chocolate on our cream lounge carpet this morning and it has removed the stain no problem.

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/12/2017 at 2:12 PM, olliesgrandad said:

Chemical guys have an intensive fabric cleaner. It is a professional quality product and has removed stains from most fabrics and carpets in my home as well as our cars. You dilute it and spray it on. Dabbing with microfiber cloth then lifts out the dirt. My Grandson got his red fabric coated life jacket covered in black grease from a canal lock and it came out easily. The best fabric cleaner I have found so far. Murphys law that I needed to use it today I have just checked and the product is called Chemical Guys Lightning Fast Stain Extractor. you dilute it 20 to1. 

My son-in-law spilt a mug of hot chocolate on our cream lounge carpet this morning and it has removed the stain no problem.

TBH those are fairly easy stains to remove and fairy liquid would remove them let alone dedicated carpet cleaners.

Try car oil in carpets left for a few months. 

Meg's super degreaser would be my last point of call. If not removed it's new carpets I'm afraid

14 hours ago, rayaans said:

TBH those are fairly easy stains to remove and fairy liquid would remove them let alone dedicated carpet cleaners.

Try car oil in carpets left for a few months. 

Meg's super degreaser would be my last point of call. If not removed it's new carpets I'm afraid

I have Megs super degrease and it is good but for fabric I think the chemical guys product is better and doesn't smell as much.