Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

So I've just bought this 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F352222477193

Is this something that's easy to do? And does it mean I can actually see properly at night. Fed up of seeing the newer cars blinding me. 

Also if this is for main beams what could I use for side  lights? 

It's going to involve a fair bit of fiddling! My brother just fitted a set of those to his 2005 IS250 in place of the original halogen dip beams.

All the wiring and boxes that come with them won't fit in the headlamp rear housing behind the bulb access hatch.

His HID kit also didn't come with a suitable plug to connect these to the original loom, although tbe crimp pins were already in place on the end of the wires??? An appropriate plastic plug housing was swiftly sourced on eBay.

He then drilled a suitable sized hole for the supplied gasket in the hatch, passed the wires through and fitted the plug housings after confirming the polarity of the headlamp loom with a multimeter.

Currently the boxes are fitted on top of the airfilter housing (R) and fuse box (L) with double sided tape, although this may have to change when he refits the plastic engine covers.

I've not had a go jn his IS at night yet, but he reckons it's significantly better and they must be OK for aim, as he hasn't had anyone flashing him thinking his main beams are on!

Reading on the DVLA website their guidance is that HID lights aren't permitted at all (new or retrofit!), but as manufacturers are fitting them they're allowing them, but they specifically say that "their view" is that they're not acceptable as retrofit, as the housings aren't specifically designed for HID. Brothers MOT tester said he doesn't care what they are so long as the aim and pattern is OK.

Andrew

10 hours ago, Koum said:

So I've just bought this 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F352222477193

Is this something that's easy to do? And does it mean I can actually see properly at night. Fed up of seeing the newer cars blinding me. 

Also if this is for main beams what could I use for side  lights? 

They are an easy fit miles better, and you will not get flashed or fail the mot. Go on utube loads of videos on fitting these.

Yes they are fiddly to fit (mainly because of access) but still easy. You need to make quite a big hole in the lamp rear covers for the big grommets which you can see on the wires near the bulbs - use a hole saw for best results.

These bulbs are for the dip beams - the outer lights in the housings. The main beams are the inner lights - they need HB3 halogen headlight bulbs - eg Nightbreaker Unlimited. The sidelights (parking lights) plug in to the main beam housings and best to use LED bulbs - W5W fitting.

10 hours ago, C Andrew Green said:

It's going to involve a fair bit of fiddling! My brother just fitted a set of those to his 2005 IS250 in place of the original halogen dip beams.

All the wiring and boxes that come with them won't fit in the headlamp rear housing behind the bulb access hatch.

His HID kit also didn't come with a suitable plug to connect these to the original loom, although tbe crimp pins were already in place on the end of the wires??? An appropriate plastic plug housing was swiftly sourced on eBay.

He then drilled a suitable sized hole for the supplied gasket in the hatch, passed the wires through and fitted the plug housings after confirming the polarity of the headlamp loom with a multimeter.

Currently the boxes are fitted on top of the airfilter housing (R) and fuse box (L) with double sided tape, although this may have to change when he refits the plastic engine covers.

I've not had a go jn his IS at night yet, but he reckons it's significantly better and they must be OK for aim, as he hasn't had anyone flashing him thinking his main beams are on!

Reading on the DVLA website their guidance is that HID lights aren't permitted at all (new or retrofit!), but as manufacturers are fitting them they're allowing them, but they specifically say that "their view" is that they're not acceptable as retrofit, as the housings aren't specifically designed for HID. Brothers MOT tester said he doesn't care what they are so long as the aim and pattern is OK.

Andrew

Thank you for this information, I guess I'll just have to give it ago and see what I can do lol 

22 minutes ago, madasahatter said:

They are an easy fit miles better, and you will not get flashed or fail the mot. Go on utube loads of videos on fitting these.

Thanks! yeah when in doubt use YouTube !

I understood the use of HID requires auto levelling system (to avoid dazzling) and headlight washers, again, to avoid dirty lense diffusing the beam and causing dazzle.  (Hence original fit only).

My wifes Rx has the HID (factory fit) and they are very impressive.... the stock lights in my  IS200d seem pre-historic in comparison.

Original Type Approval needs auto levelling and washers, but the MoT test doesn't (but they must be working if fitted). The Mot test says these items 'may' be fitted with HID lights.

After market HID bulbs are not e-marked and so are technically illegal.

But so long as the height adjustment and beam pattern are OK (and they will be in projector beam lights) they seem not to cause problems.

Sent from my PSP7551DUO using Tapatalk