Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

smart key lock assembly and shear bolts

Hello all. I'm returning to this forum after an absence of many years. A few weeks ago I bought a 2001 LS430 chiltern/rutland with only 48k miles, with good history. Inevitably, a few things needed doing (tyres, alloys, tilt mechanism, rusty sunroof etc), but last Monday morning proved eventful. I couldn't turn the key in the ignition at all. RAC man spent a good hour and a half to no avail, so off it went on a low-loader to my nearest Lexus dealer. It requires a new smart key lock assembly and shear (sheer?) bolts part numbers L45002-50012 (actuator and switch) and L45898-60020 respectively. The price to supply and fit, including VAT? £2,142.47. They've done a health check and reported a few other things, such as o/s/f shock absorber split front tie bar bushes. Obviously, the car is rather stranded there now. I paid a reasonably fair price for it, but two weeks in, and this! I just wondered if anyone had any thoughts re my options or similar experiences? Thank you :-)

Oh that’s a shock to the system.

Suspension parts and repairs are very normal whatever you drive so that can be done by an independent if you want to keep costs down.

The big bit is obviously the ignition...I would be sourcing through a breaker...get the lock even you have to pay quite a few bob for new keys...from Lexus to match the lock serial number.

Any of my forum friends agree/have alternates?

Also, have a look at buying from the US...

Thanks Simon, that's helpful advice re the lock. I guess it's just a case of recovering the car back from Lexus too. And yes, I was a bit less worried about the suspension bits for the reasons you mention. 

Graham please do keep us informed and keep posting: there are loads of great minds and experience here that will respond as soon as they can.

You have a great car and once these things are fixed you will probs only service the thing for years.

7 hours ago, Grahamwl said:

It requires a new smart key lock assembly and shear (sheer?) bolts part numbers L45002-50012 (actuator and switch) and L45898-60020 respectively. The price to supply and fit, including VAT? £2,142.47. They've done a health check and reported a few other things, such as o/s/f shock absorber split front tie bar bushes. Obviously, the car is rather stranded there now. I paid a reasonably fair price for it, but two weeks in, and this! I

I do not know your position at home >>as regards parking it up for  a while<< can you park it there? but based on your writing, you need more time to think about what to do out of all options which you know are available.

Sorry I cannot be any clearer best answer I can give with the weekend & Xmas looming adding to your tension(s).

8 hours ago, Grahamwl said:

They've done a health check and reported a few other things, such as o/s/f shock absorber split front tie bar bushes.

Whats missing is they they have not given the full price for fitting all that lot at any Lexus dealer it will be very expensive......>you really do need more time & some expert input to make your mind up 

Don't forget all & any transport costs for all this!

10 hours ago, Tinonline said:

Oh that’s a shock to the system.

Suspension parts and repairs are very normal whatever you drive so that can be done by an independent if you want to keep costs down.

The big bit is obviously the ignition...I would be sourcing through a breaker...get the lock even you have to pay quite a few bob for new keys...from Lexus to match the lock serial number.

Any of my forum friends agree/have alternates?

Also, have a look at buying from the US...

Exercise extreme caution here. Lexus told me that without a master key they could not programme a new key. So it may be the lock / key / ecu combination that you need to replace - I don't know. But find someone who understands the issues before you start shelling out. 

Good Luck!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Grahamwl said:

I bought a 2001 LS430 chiltern/rutland..................a few things needed doing (tyres, alloys, tilt mechanism, rusty sunroof etc)

Poster does not say if he did buy it from a dealer or private, but, some of things he says 'tends' to suggest it might have been parked up somewhere for some time, (rusty sunroof?).

Any idea what is meant by 'chiltern/rutland'? the Chilterns are not in the Rutland area, they are Thames valley, this sounds a mess I would not like to be in but there is also a lack of some details, such as is it a private buy, in which case sellers obligations are very limited, the sale would be 'Caveat Emptor', if so then the buyer alone is responsible for the purchase & they have accepted the goods are suitable, very often thats why a private seller would write..''Bought as seen''.

OK thanks, the geographic names made me think it might have been stored/stuck in a barn somewhere rural & left to rot, 48k for a 16 year old car does tend to point that way, it works out at only 3kPA

Graham

The parts you need can be sourced at Premier parts a Russian parts supplier online who ships from the UAE they are genuine Lexus parts and  here is the good news 

part no L45002-50012           wait for it            493 dollars

part no L45898-60020               "      " a dollar per bolt presume two are needed

On there home page type in the model and when the parts catologe  page numbers appear on the bottom right hand side go to page number 671 & 719 for the reference and price.

Best of luck find a good independent who should have no problem replacing and marrying up the actuator to you present set up new keys may not be required ,if a new barrel is required a further cost of around 200 dollars will click in but Its either one or the other thats failed I think, not both.

• Like 1

Many thanks everyone for your replies, which I really appreciate. Phil, those prices do sound excellent so I will try to source a good independent and see what's possible. I'm in Basingstoke, so if anyone knows of anyone in my vicinity, do let me know, thanks. 

Re the car itself, the mileage is low, but it's certainly not been standing for any length of time because the MOTs and service history all suggest a slow, steady and consistent accumulation of miles over the years. It has a pretty good Lexus Bristol history but latterly was serviced at an independent garage also in Bristol. I'm the third owner. The rust on one corner of the sunroof appears to be a fairly known problem on this model. Lexus Reading, where the car is currently sitting, quoted £385.85 for a new glass, but I'm slightly mystified how they would know what it needs because surely the car needs starting before they can open the roof?

In terms of the other prices, in case you're interested, I've been quoted £1,171.28 for the shock absorber and £491.50 for the tie bar bushes. I've also got two blown n/s windows, which they'd like £1,077.63 to replace. I paid £3,800 for the car as a private sale, which I thought was fair for a very nice example, with lots of history and very low mileage albeit with some obvious things to sort. I've already invested in some new Dunlops for it, which were due to be fitted at my local alloy wheel refurbishers (two birds, one stone) on the morning of the ignition issue! 

Graham

Hi Graham

Even with discounts these are hefty fees. Your issues are not insurmountable but I agree with my friends you need to collect the car and do some research.

You haven’t mentioned how you are with a set of spanners...

There is a LexusToyota indie in Maidenhead. Sorry can’t find their details. I haven’t used them. They will fit customer’s parts. I don’t know if they will source second hand parts, smart disties do as they see the value of the car vs repair costs and they get the all important labour...fair enough btw. That’s what you need...

Look forward to reading how you get on.

I have the Ignition Cylinder Lock set with transmitter housing and cut key listed at around £650.00, personally I would be looking for a breaker on eBay for the lock and key, buy 2 new shear bolts then swop the electronic gizmos in the keys over.

Any half decent independent garage should be able to do the work in a couple of hours.

The rest of the work can wait a while if you have a decent length MOT left and you can still see clearly enough out of the delaminates windows (or find a couple of secondhand ones in good condition).

• Like 1

18 hours ago, dendonc said:

I got it I think, is it this? premierautoparts

https://www.premierautoparts.ie

Denis 

That is not the link

google premierparts and got to the third in the list.

I cant give you the web address this site blocks it  probably because its a Russian site selling Genuine Lexus prices outside the dealership agreement.