Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I’ve seen some refer to the PCS system as being able to brake if there’s a crash imminent. Is that’s actually the case? 

Obviously it isn’t AEB as fitted on more recent models, but will it break on its own at all? I can’t find any thorough discussion or detail on system at all  

On my GS I haven’t had any PCS intervention at all, but on a friends GS300 I borrowed for the weekend some years ago I had the seatbelts suddenly pull me back when I was fast approaching a truck to overtake in a small section of road. It gave me a huge fright and certainly distracted me. 

Anyone else have similar experiences?  Does the PCS alert frequently or often? Or at all? As I said, I haven’t had a peep from mine some weeks into ownership. 

ACC/PCS - will brake by itself and will pre-tension seat-belts see Owner Manual p206. It is slightly vague regarding when exactly this systems works - owner manual suggest "when suddenly braking or when radar determines collision is imminent". One point which could shed more light - PCS system is activated when you approving obstacle at the speed in excess of 18MPH... so if you were doing 70MPH and truck was going at 50MPH they should trigger PCS to pretension the belts.

wasnt this fitted only to SE L models with sun roof I have a SE L 450 but no sunroof and i havent got PCS or radar cruise to my dissapointment i might add as i thought it would have ... sigh

Robert

Yes the description is very vague, which is why I was fishing for user experience.  A YouTube video online didn’t give much detail or hope about autonomous braking (it showed the brakes activate as the car made impact :wallbash:- )

Re specs - perhaps in the UK, although I wouldn’t know. 

In New Zealand I think it may have only been fitted to the limited model (we had base models and limited available) and I think sunroof was an standalone option.

Mine is limited - has ACC/PCS, rear side seat airbags, and ML stereo, yet no GPS nor sunroof. 

i believe that it was part of the ACC system - where fitted -  and only operates when the radar is live.

The reason why they are pretty vague about it is that it is designed as a supplementary system, to start the braking system,  and they don't want people relying on it in the event of a collision. Whilst the system might be quicker to start braking thanthe driver, it is up to the driver to complete braking.