Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

It makes the throttle less sensitive, changes the gearbox map - when I tried it in my IS250 it would set off in second. In reality it helps with traction on level ground, but up an incline - I couldnt get the IS off my gently sloping drive with not much more than a dusting of snow.

5 minutes ago, Jamesf1 said:

It makes the throttle less sensitive, changes the gearbox map - when I tried it in my IS250 it would set off in second. In reality it helps with traction on level ground, but up an incline - I couldnt get the IS off my gently sloping drive with not much more than a dusting of snow.

Thanks James. No snow down here to try it out but I got thinking about it this morning.

Using the GS today and its been great in the snow. Although we've got winter tyres on it. I think the old 'stick a load of concrete slabs in the back' applies to the 450. The weight of the Battery pack over the rear wheels must help with traction.

The snow button works well, as already said changing the throttle sensitivity.

The one thing I miss that the IS had is a wiper heater. It heated the bottom black section of the windscreen where the wipers sat and helped keep them supple and defrosted/deiced them.

Snapchat-1667071725.jpg

8 minutes ago, Z28DUNC said:

The one thing I miss that the IS had is a wiper heater. It heated the bottom black section of the windscreen where the wipers sat and helped keep them supple and defrosted/deiced them.

Noticed that doing it's thing for the first time this morning. Rest of the windscreen frozen solid though... :rolleyes:

4 hours ago, Z28DUNC said:

Using the GS today and its been great in the snow. Although we've got winter tyres on it. I think the old 'stick a load of concrete slabs in the back' applies to the 450. The weight of the battery pack over the rear wheels must help with traction.

I've got a pretty decent incline on the drive leading up to our house, I'm worried that it maybe "a challenge" for the GS450H. 

WhatsApp Image 2017-12-11 at 11.29.00 (2).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2017-12-11 at 11.29.00 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2017-12-11 at 11.29.00.jpeg

If you got winter tyres you will be fine in GS as it is heavy at the back.

I was driving to Luton airport today and almost get stuck in the car park spot :P Point is with summer high performance tyres don't expect that even snow mode will help you out :)

In my case gently moving back and forth solved the problem but it was closed and I got quite a lot of experience with snow.

Yep you won't be getting anywhere without winter tyres but with them its very good. Had to drive home in the snow on Friday in my car (5.7 Camaro), that wasn't fun on summer tyres :blink:

Why have Lexus positioned the windscreen vent so it doesn't warm the bottom of the windscreen? Had the wipers frozen again today so they wouldn't clean the screen. Am I mean't to pull them up to the blade change position before driving so they can have a warm part of the windscreen on them to stay supple? Bit of a bad design. 

Thankfully the windscreen defrosted quite nicely for me after about 10mins of left standing but I found my washer nozzles frozen this morning (the mixture seems to be fine). Grrrrr.

3 hours ago, Z28DUNC said:

Am I mean't to pull them up to the blade change position before driving so they can have a warm part of the windscreen on them to stay supple? 

Yes, that's how I understand they operate.  Set them up in winter (or when changing the blades) and down in summer.

I neglected to set mine up recently and after a couple of days snow/thaw/freeze, repeat the blades were locked solid in ice.    

Will be popping them into the up position in a few mins, lest I forget.

2 hours ago, Farqui said:

Set them up in winter (or when changing the blades) and down in summer.

I neglected to set mine up recently and after a couple of days snow/thaw/freeze, repeat the blades were locked solid in ice.    

Will be popping them into the up position in a few mins, lest I forget.

How do you do this? Do you just do it overnight to stop them sticking or do they still work in the up position? Sorry for my ignorance!

If your car has the feature then grab the passenger wiper at the lower arm and push down/pull up in the same plane as the windscreen.  Both wipers should then snap into the new position and sit lower/higher on the lower portion of the screen.

Good question Alan @Ala Larj, I'd presumed that you set the wipers higher in winter, leave them there until the warmer weather and that the wipers would still operate as normal.  

But maybe this is just a park/service feature and not for daily use? 

I've searched and read the manual but it's not clear if you can use the wipers in the higher position.

Does anyone know if the wipers still work in the higher winter position without over extending/hitting the A pillar?

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Farqui said:

If your car has the feature then grab the passenger wiper at the lower arm and push down/pull up in the same plane as the windscreen.  Both wipers should then snap into the new position and sit lower/higher on the lower portion of the screen.

Thanks Lee will give it a go when the rain stops!

• Like 1

On 12/12/2017 at 5:22 PM, Farqui said:

If this feature isn't fitted, you'll hear a snap, crackle and then pop, and need to order a new linkage from lexus.

Only kidding, I assume you don't need to put that much pressure on the arms to find out if they will pop to the higher position?

• Like 1

If this feature isn't fitted, you'll hear a snap, crackle and then pop, and need to order a new linkage from lexus.
Only kidding, I assume you don't need to put that much pressure on the arms to find out if they will pop to the higher position?

Haha, I did wonder what would happen if the wipers didn't have this feature!

I dont need much pressure to get mine to flip flop but other online comments find theirs stiff #ahem
  • Like 1

On 12/12/2017 at 11:21 AM, Mike Hartland said:

Yes, heated washer nozzles is not too much to ask for on a car of this type, perhaps wired into the rear screen / wing mirror heaters.

On Tuesday I did a snowy 175 miles into Shropshire from Gloucester. I had almost neat washer fluid but when I got north of Kidderminster the washers froze at around minus 6. Very surprised the car hasn't heated washer jets as my last 2 mercedes did. The snow setting worked very well throughout the journey and I averaged 50mpg becauseI was driving slowly. 

The snow was huge amounts of fun!

I did however behave on the public highway and used the ECT snow mode to play safe.

Leaving the carpark from work was exciting, ending up backwards! RWD is so much more amusing!