Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Thinking about replacing the ISF

Probably where I'm going wrong because I don't drive it enough. It sat for the best part of six weeks then it got out for a run beginning of December one afternoon to make sure the Battery got a decent top up. You lose confidence in a car when you don't drive it enough.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Rusty Crobar said:

I get around the winter blues by driving mine every day of the year 😎😎😎

@Rusty Crobar Russ, your right I get out in mine as often as I can, within 5 or 10 miles I begin to realise why I like them so much, and why it’s the longest I’ve had a car must mean something this Lexus Lark 😊

🐀

13 minutes ago, mike m said:

Probably where I'm going wrong because I don't drive it enough. It sat for the best part of six weeks then it got out for a run beginning of December one afternoon to make sure the battery got a decent top up. You lose confidence in a car when you don't drive it enough.

@mike m Your right about the confidence thing I worked hard to like my last car a 996 turbo, I spent money it had a relatively low mileage for 52 plate, and I thought if I keep it low the value would go up.

So I wasn’t using it much, it’s ridiculous so I started using it all the time up when the mileage down went the reliability and the values of them started to rise.

So I resparked my interest in the ISF, sold the 911 got nearly 5k more than I paid for it 18months before, so here I am now, and I’m glad I did.

We need to use these things and enjoy 😊

🐀

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Big Rat said:

@mike m Your right about the confidence thing I worked hard to like my last car a 996 turbo, I spent money it had a relatively low mileage for 52 plate, and I thought if I keep it low the value would go up.

So I wasn’t using it much, it’s ridiculous so I started using it all the time up when the mileage down went the reliability and the values of them started to rise.

So I resparked my interest in the ISF, sold the 911 got nearly 5k more than I paid for it 18months before, so here I am now, and I’m glad I did.

We need to use these things and enjoy 😊

🐀

Agreed, didn't buy the ISF as a financial decision so drive it almost every day, I'll never get all my money back for it but that's not the point, it gives me pleasure and that's what I pay the premium for......a bit like the wife!

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Jgtcracer said:

Agreed, didn't buy the ISF as a financial decision so drive it almost every day, I'll never get all my money back for it but that's not the point, it gives me pleasure and that's what I pay the premium for......a bit like the wife!

At the time i bought mine to be my main car then the yaris was passed down to me from the father in law as he was struggling to sell it. I took it on so it would sit in the Aberdeen carpark for two weeks rather than the ISF. That automatically turned the ISF into a weekend warrior (garage queen) :biggrin: and now i don't even like it being in carpark's.

I have become risk averse. (some crap we get told from management lol)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, mike m said:

@mike m Matey I read all this the other day before I posted you about part of the reason to try and get you to keep the 'F'

It doesn't make pleasant reading ☹️

Could  you not 'F' the Yaris up and jack it fit a 4x4 set up........ supercharger...........cough cough. 😬

🐀

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Rusty Crobar said:

I get around the winter blues by driving mine every day of the year 😎😎😎

Yep, I slap on some winter tyres and make it more useable all-year round. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Big Rat said:

@mike m Matey I read all this the other day before I posted you about part of the reason to try and get you to keep the 'F'

It doesn't make pleasant reading ☹️

Could  you not 'F' the Yaris up and jack it fit a 4x4 set up........ supercharger...........cough cough. 😬

🐀

I think F the yaris up is what would happen lol

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...

So after more contemplation I'm about to pull the trigger on one of these (not this actual one) :-

It seems my first choice the double cab version is classed as a commercial vehicle therefore wont pass an IVA test but this will do lol.

So it'll take a good number of months to source / ship / prepare / register one of these but I reckon the ISF has to go. Cant keep everything haha.

And I know its absolutely nothing like an 'F' car.  Probably rarer though :smile:

55 minutes ago, Toothy said:

Very interesting choice! Why not a normal land cruiser?

Good question.

I love the look of the 79 series in Oz where you can still buy new ones. Having done loads of searching they are virtually impossible to find until I discovered the 30th anniversary models on sale in Japan in 2015 only.

I've looked at loads of landcruisers, the 80 series are long in the tooth and well used. 100 series AHC suspension put me off them plus the price of them for an 18 - 20 year old car that's getting rusty. The 200 series is too posh / expensive and diesel only. I'm a petrol fanatic.

I did kinda settle on a 4.0 litre 120 series Prado but that was before I knew you could get these 76 series into the country. 

One other thing I factored in is the resale value of one of these in the UK. I think like the rest of the landcruisers it will hold onto its money really well.

• Like 1

I must agree, it does look great. Really utilitarian, like a G class or Defender. Will last you a lifetime if you want it to.
I hope you plan to use it off road or take it on adventures.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Toothy said:

I must agree, it does look great. Really utilitarian, like a G class or Defender. Will last you a lifetime if you want it to.
I hope you plan to use it off road or take it on adventures.

Oh yeah definitely going for a few dirty weekends lol.

Definitely agree it's Toyotas equivalent of the defender and G wagon. Always thought they were mad not selling them over here when the defender was killed off. 

LPG it? After my Sunday 80 mile jaunt, on Britain's wonderful roads (Thanks, Tory austerity) I'm reverting to thinking a 4 X 4 is ideal (had a Cherokee 94-01)

And probably they have less electronic gizmos to fail.

Japan does throw up some gems, it seems.

I'd want an Auto Land Cruiser though.

They never stopped making the car. It's hugely popular in Australia...the dealerships are full of them...very popular with tradesmen. The 4.5 litre v8 diesel is a better option, far more economical. One thing to be wary of, is that they all leave the factory faulty. The rear wheel track is narrower than the front. When they changed the style at the front to incorporate the new engines the wheel track had to be widened. To save money, they didn't alter the rear axle. A company called Multi Drive in Australia manufacture a kit to repair this fault, so that the vehicle is safer and more efficient off road.

But....try this instead?

• Like 3

@Chris Skelton too right mate about the roads they are getting worse.

I knew about the rear track problem after watching an Aussie review of a troopy. Makes them a pain to handle in the sand apparently.

There's a huge debate about what's best for offroad etc but I'm quite content with a manual gearbox. Manual 80 series are usually double the value in the UK and rare as. 

That vellfire looks awesome. :thumbup1:

• Like 1