Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Low Tyre warning....

Is 33psi the correct pressure?

If not correct the pressure and recheck the TMPS

If yes, then reset the TPMS system. Instructions should be in your handbook (downloadable from the My Lexus portal, if you don't have one)

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, PJD said:

I have the warning light permanently lit up, and the message is "low tire", - I have check all four tyres and they are all 33psi.

Any ideas?

Many thanks :)

Hi Phil

When I bought my car the vendor warned me the TPMS light would probably come on, and showed me how to reset it. On the 430 I believe it measures rotation, not actual pressure, looking for an anomaly between the wheels. It did come on, regularlly, until I bought 4 new tires. I haven't seen the warning in 20,000 miles since. So it's not just tyre pressure.

HTH

Jon

• Like 1

Any rotational anomaly wheel to wheel, big enough to set off the TPWS (warning system as opposed to the monitoring system) would almost certainly be due to pressure differences, resulting in differences in rotational circumferences. 

If all the pressures are within spec the system would need to be re-initialised. At least this is how the warning system worked on the Mercedes. 

Also a big enough (~20%) change in the overall pressures can set the warning off.

Hi phil once you adjusted the tire pressures you need to reset the warning - the button is located  just above the pedals  - you need to switch on ignition and press and hold the button for a few seconds - hope this helps

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One of the easiest regular checks to do but probably the one most often ignored.

Introduction of run-flats may be a big factor for having TPMS. EU legislation now requires all new cars to have some form of warning system. Increased fuel consumption ( and therefore emissions) probably the greater prompt though

Interesting (the legislation bit) Brexit folk will use that as example of Euro-interfering....except that all cars we get will follow the rule!

Imagine; there's (at least one) person/team who has worked out the cost in increased emissions caused by millions of cars with soft tyres.

Not easy. First, you need to know how much % of cars suffer this.....etc.!

Good to know our taxes aren't wasted. And that we have to have (expensive to replace!) sensor-valves.

4 minutes ago, Chris Skelton said:

And that we have to have (expensive to replace!) sensor-valves.

The TPWS  uses existing sensors (ABS) to compare wheel rotational speeds, so no extra hardware cost, just a bit of coding.

The TPMS does, as you point out, use relatively expensive sensors. These typically last 5yrs and as the vast majority of new cars are lease/fleet buys, this won't be an issue for them.

Second hand buyers will have to face the replacement costs though it is feasible to replace the batteries at a fraction of the cost. A member here has done just that.

Sorry for the late reply!  I thought notifications would be sent to me automatically.

I think the pressure is supposed to be 33psi... from what I could work out on the slightly confusing sticker in the driver's door well :)

I pressed the "set" button as suggested (had to try it a couple of times) and lo and behold, the message has gone and has not returned.  There is two buttons there, one called "set" and another without a label....

MANY THANKS all for your help here :) - I had visions of visiting a garage and having to have the diagnostic kit plugged in to remove the warning.