Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Problems Encountered with the LC500

malcolmw

I thought that a thread to bring together any issues encountered with the LC500 by the owners on here might be useful. From memory, we have the alarm triggering issue and the satnav miles/km issue. Any others? They don't need to be very serious issues, just of interest to other owners.

The auto high beam doesn't always work well. It sometimes puts the main beam when it shouldn't and can be slow to dip with oncoming traffic. I have had this feature for years on BMWs and their system does work better.

The track pad can sometimes be a bit infuriating but I guess anyone getting the car will already know about this.

The same with not having any buttons for the seat heaters, although they seem to work reasonably well in auto mode.

Finally, I had an issue with music being played in the wrong order on albums using a USB memory stick. I have got round this by selecting folders rather than albums and that seems to work.

The LC is a  great car in a lot of ways, especially the looks but sometimes doesn't have the slickness of the German competition 

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/12/2017 at 1:43 PM, Jules640 said:

The auto high beam doesn't always work well. It sometimes puts the main beam when it shouldn't and can be slow to dip with oncoming traffic. I have had this feature for years on BMWs and their system does work better.

The track pad can sometimes be a bit infuriating but I guess anyone getting the car will already know about this.

The same with not having any buttons for the seat heaters, although they seem to work reasonably well in auto mode.

Finally, I had an issue with music being played in the wrong order on albums using a USB memory stick. I have got round this by selecting folders rather than albums and that seems to work.

The LC is a  great car in a lot of ways, especially the looks but sometimes doesn't have the slickness of the German competition 

Not sure if this will help, but with the music I had a similar problem on a Pioneer stereo I had. I had to use a windows program called FAT Sorter (FAT is file allocation table!) That might cure your issue, you have to run the program on your USB once the music is on there, using your laptop/PC before you put it in the car. Otherwise, folders should work fine.

• 4 weeks later...

Just to update this thread with reports from another thread on this site.

Lexus Hedge End are said to have looked at 3 LCs with the retractable door handles stuck in the out position.

I will ask them about this when I pick my car up. Anyone else seen this?

nope mine have been fine, the only issue i have is the alarm going of early hours of the morning, we have narrowed it down to very cold morning's and condensation inside the car, problem is although the alarm going of shows up on the download there are no fault codes coming up. so there's nothing they can do, just have to see how it goes, have had it back 2 weeks now and so far the alarm has not gone of, but then we also haven't had any very cold mornings.

5 hours ago, malcolmw said:

Just to update this thread with reports from another thread on this site.

Lexus Hedge End are said to have looked at 3 LCs with the retractable door handles stuck in the out position.

I will ask them about this when I pick my car up. Anyone else seen this?

No, I haven’t had any problems with mine. Could it be when it is very cold and the mechanism has frozen?

1 hour ago, Jules640 said:

No, I haven’t had any problems with mine. Could it be when it is very cold and the mechanism has frozen?

Not sure - Id expect them not to come out if it was frozen on a cold morning rather than being stuck out.

4 hours ago, malcolmw said:

Do you have the sports Alcantara trimmed seats or the full leather type?

The Alcantara seats. It’s annoying as I can’t work out exactly where it is coming from. I think it’s worse when it’s really cold. 

58 minutes ago, Jules640 said:

The Alcantara seats. It’s annoying as I can’t work out exactly where it is coming from. I think it’s worse when it’s really cold. 

I'd get it sorted before 2019. 

Lexus only give 2 years warranty on rattles now

10 hours ago, rayaans said:

I'd get it sorted before 2019. 

Lexus only give 2 years warranty on rattles now

Really?! I assumed that everything is covered for 3 years.

It didn't do it this morning and it was very mild so I think it is definitely worse when the weather is cold.

1 hour ago, Jules640 said:

Really?! I assumed that everything is covered for 3 years.

It didn't do it this morning and it was very mild so I think it is definitely worse when the weather is cold.

Yes, they've been doing it for a few years now. They cover rattles up to 2 years and say everything after 2 years is due to wear and tear

On 22/01/2018 at 5:17 PM, Jules640 said:

My car has developed an annoying rattle that seems to be coming from the passenger front seat. Has anyone else had this? It only seems to do it when no one is in the seat.

Julian  what with my alarm and your seat rattle both happening in could weather  i think we both need to move to a warmer country,

3 hours ago, wendle said:

Julian  what with my alarm and your seat rattle both happening in could weather  i think we both need to move to a warmer country,

Hi Chris

I wouldn't have expected your alarm issues or any rattles from a top of the range Lexus. It's a bit disappointing really.

6 hours ago, Jules640 said:

Hi Chris

I wouldn't have expected your alarm issues or any rattles from a top of the range Lexus. It's a bit disappointing really.

I think rattles affect any car no matter how they're built. Probably more so around here because we have extremely variable temperatures.

Merc S class and BMW 7 series all seem to be affected. Worse on the BMW tbh. 

I dont think rattles are something we can get rid off, although the IS doesn't have rattles yet - the RX has one coming from near the Pan roof but its very minor.

I think once you have noticed a rattle then you are listening out for it all the time. 

The worst car I have had for rattles and squeaks was a Mercedes SL500. It was so bad that I had to sell it after 6 months as it just became unbearable.

19 minutes ago, Jules640 said:

I think once you have noticed a rattle then you are listening out for it all the time. 

The worst car I have had for rattles and squeaks was a Mercedes SL500. It was so bad that I had to sell it after 6 months as it just became unbearable.

Agreed, probably made worse in quieter cars as well because its the only thing you can hear. 

I have developed a new rattle from the passenger door are on my RX but seems to be only when its cold. Its a very hollow plastic rattle and I cant find whats loose. Its driving me mad but not quite as much as the now cured vibration I had from the drivers door which being so close nearly made me get rid of the car. My wife says I am not normal and just ignore squaks and rattles. hmmmmm

13 minutes ago, chris_fletcher said:

I have developed a new rattle from the passenger door are on my RX but seems to be only when its cold. Its a very hollow plastic rattle and I cant find whats loose. Its driving me mad but not quite as much as the now cured vibration I had from the drivers door which being so close nearly made me get rid of the car. My wife says I am not normal and just ignore squaks and rattles. hmmmmm

Lexus isn't for you if you are sensitive to rattles/squeaks etc.

On 26-1-2018 at 12:38 AM, chris_fletcher said:

Really? my IS300H didnt have any and the gen 1 and 2 RX`s were pretty rattle free, just minor creaks

same for me. i thought lexus was up there in build quality. My Is250 was dead silent, nothing for 4 years. My current Is300H thesame, just nothing.

I owned a BMW for 2 years and heating that car up in winter brought out an entire orchestra from within the dash. Propably due to expanding plastics of different kind. just terrible.

I guess it depends on how sensitive you are to these things. Clearly there are some bigger rattles that develop, typically on new models, that dealers can fix, especially once a TSB is released, but all Lexus tend to have minor creaks etc.

2 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

I guess it depends on how sensitive you are to these things. Clearly there are some bigger rattles that develop, typically on new models, that dealers can fix, especially once a TSB is released, but all Lexus tend to have minor creaks etc.

All cars have some creaks and rattles. 

• Like 1

Cannot tolerate creaks & rattles & have had 3 cars replaced due to rattles & have had Rover  and  Lexus technicians work from my home to resolve issues too

My Mk.2 ISF had a fuse-box rattle ,my 2 IS F-Sports have been perfect.

Tel