Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Broken driver side wing mirror

Last night a car driving on the wrong side of the road smashed into my side mirror and caused the mirror to pop out. I can only assume it was a police chase or a serious emergency but they didn't stop. The mirror housing seems to be okay and the folding function works however one of the white screws that controls the tilt of the mirror has snapped off.

Any ideas where I can get a replacement or whether I should go to Lexus? Would they charge me for the entire wing mirror?

My alternative would be to buy a used on eBay and then try to replace the part thats actually broken and stick it in my mirror except I'm not sure how that'll work out since I have the SE-L which has auto dimming, auto dipping on reverse etc.

thanks

Just now, kellogsj said:

Is it just the mirror, or whole unit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its essentially the actual mirror. Its popped out and will not go back in. Behind the mirror on the inside - theres a white piece of plastic that controls all the tilting functions etc and a prong on that is broken which means that the mirror wont stay in place nor will it tilt 

Its essentially the actual mirror. Its popped out and will not go back in. Behind the mirror on the inside - theres a white piece of plastic that controls all the tilting functions etc and a prong on that is broken which means that the mirror wont stay in place nor will it tilt 

It sounds like the whole unit will need replacing. You'd have to go to Lexus for one. It's about £400-500. What colour is it?

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, kellogsj said:

It sounds like the whole unit will need replacing. You'd have to go to Lexus for one. It's about £400-500. What colour is it?

Theres no way I'm spending 500 quid on a new mirror, its the light blue colour. I think I'll buy a cheap salvage mirror and then take out the parts.

Just now, kellogsj said:

Is the housing ok on it.

yeah housing is okay, just a bit scuffed but no serious damage. it folds okay, heating works and everything

yeah housing is okay, just a bit scuffed but no serious damage. it folds okay, heating works and everything

The same thing happened to me. The housing was ok, the actual mirror was shattered. It cost me £140 for the new mirror which is heated. There a pain in the arse to fit, so I let my mechanic mate do it.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, is200 Newbie said:

Search the forum for the following (ignore the spelling !!)

Wing Mirros - Auto Tilt feature

Thus guide will show you how to remove and replace the parts of the mirror

Great little guide.

post-35349-0-00601300-1439666720_thumb.j

This picture explains my problem. The mirror part dangling below there came loose on mine WITH the white plastic part STILL attached to it. Your guide clearly states to remove that red screw assembly to remove the white plastic except mine just came clean off  so I have no idea how the hell that happened. Regardless, one of the white prongs on the back of that white plastic bit snapped off this morning (probably because of the cold). So I'm buying a used mirror and going to replace the white plastic as all other parts seem to work fine on mine. 

Cheers for those pics and the guide, very helpful.