Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

GS 450h rims on IS250/220d

Hi ,I have these on my IS250C  they were on when I bought it and according to the history I have were swapped by Lexus Belfast for the first owner .I think they suit the car ,the only downside for me is they are difficult to keep clean , and they are not ' staggered ' for the rear size ,so all 4 tyres are 225/40 .This does not seem to have had  any effect on the drive over the 12000 miles I have covered 

Dave

• Like 1

That makes sense, Lexus hybrids have "square" fitment rather than "staggered" . Regarding the effect on the handling etc. you are right - they should have no effect. IS250 AWD comes with "square" fitment from factory as well. Even on RWD 17" rims are the same just different tire sizes, only 18" comes with both staggered rims and tires. That said nobody stops you from getting wider tires on the rear same like it is on 17"

Hi I agree but I posted the tyre size with these wheels as they are all 8 inch and 225 is the industry recommended fitment . To go to the original 255 section on the rear the wheels need to be 8 1/2 inches

Dave

Yes, but Lexus does that on 17" i.e. 225 on front and 255 rear on the same rim. On GS 18" they fit 245/40. One way or another I don't think that going to matter... the theory is that for RWD car that gives extra traction and even-up the wear between front and rear, so you can replace all tires at once.

However from my experience 245 are overkill on the rear for IS250, when I bought my current car I have replaced the tires and fronts were 2mm and inside was already below legal, whilst rear still had like 3.5-4mm left. Back then I thought maybe rears were replaced later or twice, because I would have expected rears to wear first on RWD, replaced all tires together anyway. Now my car is due for replacement again and same story again - front are totally chewed-up especially on inside, probably 2mm inside and 3.5 outside, whilst rears are 3.5 inside and 5mm outside. In short over 40k miles rears have worn 1.5mm less then fronts.

Do you straddle speed humps? That wears inside edges of tyres quite badly.

The alternative of course - to have one side in the centre of the hump and the other side on a flat bit - risks suspension damage unless you slow right down - but then that's the intention!

• Like 1

I do... I don't even slow down... because that is waste of fuel and increases pollution, maybe save inside of tires, but wears down the other components.

Speed bump should be illegal - I cannot believe that in modern world we still have them... though I guess that is why it is wrong to call the place we live modern - with all technology we have somebody decided that spending £10000 to dig trenches across the road is the solution... It is estimated that for every life saved they kill ~70-80 people based on slow down they have on emergency vehicles alone, then comes dazzling of other cars they goes over which often blinds.... anyway I digress.

To summarise @johnatg is right, inner edge is probably worn more then the rest of the tire because of the speed bumps, still front tires wears quicker then rear on IS250, which is unexpected on RWD vehicle. Not saying it is bad... just the way it is.

• 4 months later...

True Blue , does the dealer say anything when you get a service ? 

I have GS F sport wheels and always get it mentioned on my service report as wrong wheels, there was even a GS F sport parked next to mine  when I picked my car up and pointed out there LEXUS wheels 

7 hours ago, petergordon4 said:

True Blue , does the dealer say anything when you get a service ? 

I have GS F sport wheels and always get it mentioned on my service report as wrong wheels, there was even a GS F sport parked next to mine  when I picked my car up and pointed out there LEXUS wheels 

Your one is quite interesting looks as well, was always wondering how Mk4 GS F-Sport rims would look on IS250. The next one is to see that famous GS with IS-F wheels @J Henderson

• Like 1

Hi petergordon4  funny you should mention the main dealer ,last week ,for the first time in my life ,I visited a Lexus main dealer in Bolton for the air bag recall .I belive the wheels were fitted by Lexus Belfast very early in the cars life,I have the service sheet copies from them which show the tyre tread depths but no mention of the wheels .The 'health 'report and video last week noted ;- wrong wheels fitted, puncture kit out of date ,wipers smear but not split .I was also advised that due to the age of the car the air con should be checked and the wheel alignment also as there is no record of this being carried out .Don't get me wrong this was obviously a very through check and everyone was very professional but it  was obviously done with a view of obtaining more work (£59 for wipers ? ) .I have no issue with the wheels ,Insurance is informed ,I have an alterative puncture kit plus breakdown cover and I replaced the wipers when I got home with a spare set ,although I did not think they were too bad ..The air bag recall was carried out ,no problems , I was given a courtesy car ,coffee biscuits and petrol plus a £50 voucher off a basic service which I declined .All in all top marks to Bolton ,They did not suggest what to do about the wheels ,and I will continue to get dirt under my fingernails as I have done for the last 60 years

Dave

14 hours ago, Linas.P said:

Your one is quite interesting looks as well, was always wondering how Mk4 GS F-Sport rims would look on IS250. The next one is to see that famous GS with IS-F wheels @J Henderson

The MK4 wheels look pretty good on an IS. Quite similar appearance to IS-F.

2ISwGS19s.thumb.jpg.bad54cf440daa3c7489da87f94217b85.jpg

Downsize the front tyre to 35 series and add spacers on the rear and they'd look great IMO.

I've yet to see that GS with the IS-F wheels @Linas.P :biggrin:

For what it's worth, my car's been into Lexus plenty of times with either the "wrong" wheels on it, or smaller than normal rear tyres (245/40-18) and nothing has ever been mentioned. The tyre brand and tread depth is the only thing recorded on the service report.

@petergordon4 Are you running the GS front tyre size (235/40-19)? Perhaps that is why they are noting that the wheels are wrong.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, J Henderson said:

Are you running the GS front tyre size (235/40-19)? Perhaps that is why they are noting that the wheels are wrong.

As well.. GS450h wheels are not staggered like IS250, so that might be the reason, because both IS-F 19 inch and IS250 18inch are staggered and as such suspension geometry doesn't change, whereas you would ideally need spacers for rear GS wheels. - maybe affects wheel alignment. 

I have 225/35-19 on the front and 255/35-19 rear ,  never had any rubbing or bother with them.

Lexus always report my tread depth and always  state wrong wheel for car( or something like that on my service report)  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, petergordon4 said:

I have 225/35-19 on the front and 255/35-19 rear ,  never had any rubbing or bother with them.

Lexus always report my tread depth and always  state wrong wheel for car( or something like that on my service report)  

Those sizes are perfect for an upgrade to 19s. I had the same sizes on IS-F wheels I used to have on my car. Like I said, Lexus never noted anything out of the ordinary.

"Disks looks tiny" ... you need to look at RC300h :whistling1: very open 19inch wheels and even smaller rotors/calipers ... 

Tell Lexus to stop noting it or you stop servicing the car with them. 

I did sort of argue the first time ( more so as they had a GS F sport next me to with the same wheels)  but last few services I just ignore it now.

I am happy with the stopping power of the brakes but it just doesnt look right such big wheels and tiny discs (compared to wheels) 

1 hour ago, petergordon4 said:

to be honest have been more thinking IS300h but... I like my V6

I mean just calipers (to fill the wheels), not the whole car...

As for IS300h... since the first second I got in.. I was always waiting to get back to my IS250... if I have any issue with IS250 is the lack of power, definitely not fuel economy.

• Like 1