Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Uk Gov MOT Checker

I've mentioned the site before on here a useful toool when car buying or even looking up the cars you used to own. They are in the process of updating the site with more information and there is now a drop down selection with the MOT history where it was done and so on, they have now included manufacturers recall information.

Its still work in progress but it makes a change to see where some of the money fleeced from us motorists by the government is put back into something beneficial.

https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history

Take a look.

Big Rat

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Model ID mistakes like this are not uncommon. It is usually the case that the incorrect model is selected by backroom admin dealer staff when registering the vehicle for the first time using AFRL (Automated First Registration & Licensing System). These staff members do not often have insightful knowledge, especially on niche models like an IS-F. Those with better product knowledge ( i.e. sales staff) are forbidden from being involved in the registration process.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Big Rat said:

Of course it could be a cunning plan by a certain forum member................ @Linas.P Come on Linas can you through any light on this ?

🐀

IS-F should certainly show up as IS-F's and I have seen several showing-up, though I have seen RC-F and RC300h appearing as simply RC so it is bit hit and miss. What you need to do is after inserting VRN where it asks if that is correct car it states make colour and engine displacement. So if it shows IS250 with 5l engine, then it is likely IS-F... or just IS with 5L engine... "after all it is just engine and gearbox which is different" :yes:

Now they show outstanding recalls on the cars as well - quite good site...

• Like 1

I do use it quite a lot... probably the first thing I check is usually MOT check and this site is life saver. It is unbelievable how much details is possible to gather from MOT sometimes e.g. was mileage regular, what were advisories, have they reappeared etc. show a lot about how car was run. The only problem that cars on private plates sometimes doesn't show-up or show up as different cars...

Damn

My old IS200 is still gunning it despite clocking up 658,218 miles in 2011 and passing the MOT a day later with 65223 miles

In my many years of ownership I dont think it ever failed a MOT...yet its record is littered with 3 fails none of which I was aware of, including wipers, headlight aim too high and tyres.

I think the lesson here is that the site and history are far from accurate so dig a little deeper if you can.

That aside its a brilliant resource. 

my lotus shows a fail which I had no record of - owned since new - a headlight or something. Talking to the garage they said they may well have failed it, corrected the headlight and passed it without me knowing.  I was dubious as that mot was "service and mot" so an mot failure = shoddy service.

I concluded that the system was wrong or someone made an error typing the details in.

The “Vehicle Smart” app is a better option IMO.

Its gives you the option of having the families cars in a “garage “ for quick reference, and colour codes the mot status.

• Like 1

On 17/12/2017 at 2:08 PM, Verbout said:

The “Vehicle Smart” app is a better option IMO.

Its gives you the option of having the families cars in a “garage “ for quick reference, and colour codes the mot status.

Yes that's the app I use. Brilliant app and certainly worth the money for the premium version

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I use “total car check”......it also notifies you the month before your mot expires........prior to this app mine did/had......nothing sinister I just forgot, mine had lapsed by about 5 months from memory........

• Haha 1