Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

220d smoke finally cured

Recently  I have being having issues with occasional plumes of exhaust smoke,sometimes dense sometimes just puffs but really annoying.went down the usual route of dpf egr etc carrying out the egr removal/clean followed by the 30 mile high rev run which did to an extent cure the problem until a few days later the smoke returned annoyinly...I was actually gonna trade the car but a fellow workmate asked if I had checked the turbo wastegate actuator (I hadnt) so next day when the car was cold I manually opened and closed the wastegate actuator to its extremes,this is really simple to do and afterwards from cold no smoke...none!!  On researching afterwards it seems that being mechanical on driving the wastegate performs only as instructed so basically on round the town trips it dont move alot so overtime it may stick seems mine did...4 days on and testing it still no smoke..hope this helps as it had my head battered!!

I also had an issue with a stuck wastegate but it wasn't causing smoke issues. Instead of the turbo kicking in at 1800rpm like its meant to it was kicking in at around 3500rpm and dying off soon afterwards. 

Best thing I ever did was get rid of it. Honestly it was one thing after another.

I've had British Leyland cars in the early 80s that were more reliable and I'm talking triumph dolomite and Morris marinas and an Austin allegro.

Haha.....I sold those cars in the early eighties.  Dolomite was nice !  Managed to pay a mortgage and buy a house.  Peoples expectation of cars was a lot less then.  The arrival of Datsun and Toyota changed the expectation.