Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rasping from brakes, advice please.

Loud metallic rasping noises from the brakes on my RX450. It seems to be both front and back from what we can tell. It can be heard at low speed, driving slowly out of the drive and down my street, it isn’t really a noise I want to hear from a Lexus! 

Don’t think the discs are warped or it would have come up in the recent MOT. There’s no judder at all on hard or soft braking. Seems to go at higher speed.

Always park with the parking brake off whenever possible and at home when left for a few days.

I did have a slight problem on my old IS250 but nothing like this. If anything needs greasing, easing or releasing, can someone point me to a picture or manual extract so I can do the work?

Only bought it two months ago from the Lexus dealer, so I hope not, barely done 400 miles!

If it’s a case of replacing the slide pins and checking the pads/ disc edge for corrosion, I wonder if my local Toyota dealer would be up for doing it cheaply? Would save the slog into Lexus Stockport but is it something they could do?

As Les says, most likely to be the audible pad wear 'alarm' as it's just a piece of metal designed to make noise that contacts the discs when they wear down to a certain point. Not sure why you don't use the parking brake - regular use keeps the drum rust free and avoids anything seizing up.

EDIT: just seen your posting to say that you've only had it two months, in which case I'd say stop worrying and get it back for them to sort out under warranty.

As Les says, most likely to be the audible pad wear 'alarm' as it's just a piece of metal designed to make noise that contacts the discs when they wear down to a certain point. Not sure why you don't use the parking brake - regular use keeps the drum rust free and avoids anything seizing up.
EDIT: just seen your posting to say that you've only had it two months, in which case I'd say stop worrying and get it back for them to sort out under warranty.
My local dealer in Glasgow, whom I trust completely, has always told me to regularly use the footbrake, when it's not used you end up with problems. I as long get the sliding pins on the calipers lubed twice a year, doesn't cost much and new calipers as re very pricey. If you need new pads after two months I would be disappointed that your dealer didn't pick up on it. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Thanks for the advice. I’ll give it back to them to sort, as I’ve done barely 800 miles since I picked it up. Hopefully they should do it all under warranty. I’d be disappointed if they asked for anything or said the pads/discs suddenly needed doing. Will start using the foot brake as well.

• Like 1

Sounds normal. Hybrid brake groan. Needs some heavy braking. It's made worse in cold weather and if car is parked outside 

Also could just be rusting pads overnight which is normal and clears after braking. 

2 hours ago, rayaans said:

Sounds normal. Hybrid brake groan. Needs some heavy braking. It's made worse in cold weather and if car is parked outside 

Also could just be rusting pads overnight which is normal and clears after braking. 

It is outside for now, but I tried the heavy braking yesterday and it didn’t help.

Had another look this afternoon and the front wheels are covered in a thick red dust. Black dust only on the rears. No idea what this means but somethings not right. Shame I couldn’t get any answer from Lexus Stockport today after 4 goes and a message!

10 hours ago, TimS320 said:

Had another look this afternoon and the front wheels are covered in a thick red dust. Black dust only on the rears. No idea what this means but somethings not right. Shame I couldn’t get any answer from Lexus Stockport today after 4 goes and a message!

Take a picture.  Red dust probably means rust. Like I said rain will oxidise brake discs and this will shed off when braking in the morning at low speed. 

It could also mean you have sticking calipers at front. 

Won't be to do with parking brake as those attach to the rear.

Could be shot pads but it's worth visiting the dealer straight away rather than messaging because they'll tell you to come in anyway

1 hour ago, SLACKBLADDER said:

Could mean someone's put wrong pads ie called the red stuff  they are too hard I got them on my sc and they've worped my discs 

Redstuff pads don't release red brake dust though. In fact it's marketed as low dust. 

23 hours ago, TimS320 said:

It is outside for now, but I tried the heavy braking yesterday and it didn’t help.

I had a similar problem and the heavy braking worked for me. I slammed the brakes on a couple of times from 70mph on a motorway slip road (with nothing behind me) and it sorted it. When I tried from a lower speed it didn't make any difference though.

well turns out the front nearside  caliper has bound on. new caliper pads and disc apparently. all under warranty. no idea yet as to why this should happen to a car that was serviced a little over 8 weeks ago and has only done 1200 miles in that time. any ideas?

Because a dealer service does not include a clean/re-grease of the brake caliper sliders. 

It seems that dealers would rather let you have an issue and then charge the customer and/or Lexus for the parts/work to replace the calipers.

Glad that you're all sorted under warranty tho.

Once out of warranty, ensure you get the caliper sliders re-greased annually - it's not a big job.

Oh and did you ask the dealer this question?

30 minutes ago, Farqui said:

Because a dealer service does not include a clean/re-grease of the brake caliper sliders. 

It seems that dealers would rather let you have an issue and then charge the customer and/or Lexus for the parts/work to replace the calipers.

Glad that you're all sorted under warranty tho.

Once out of warranty, ensure you get the caliper sliders re-greased annually - it's not a big job.

Oh and did you ask the dealer this question?

I’m certainly going to ask when I collect it. I pointed out that I wouldn’t expect it to seize so soon after a service, but that was without knowing they didn’t bother greasing the pins! Surely if it is a known issue, they should do it?

Les, what problems? - caliper sliders are very simple to maintain. 

The slider issue isn't limited to Lexus either as many vehicles from other manufacturers use calipers of a similar design.

No denying that dealerships are out for your money tho, they have to make a living and all those chocolate biccies cost you know :wink3:

It’s not just Lexus, Porsche once told me they hadn’t stamped my service book after a service and some work, because they couldn’t find it in the car. As it was in the holder under the steering wheel I wasn’t that impressed. I was even less impressed when I had two inches of water in the car and fried electronics, because the roof latch which they had replaced let water in. They hadn’t thought to pour some water over it after replacing it, to leak test it. £2500 bill later paid for by the dealer and a complete new interior. Glad they hadn’t done anything life threatening like work on the brakes or engine. God help us in the hands of these people.

Lexus have no excuse. If such a small, well known issue causes such expensive problems, there should be an addendum to the service schedule. I shall be asking to look at the previous service sheets for the car when I go back in. It’s called preventative maintenance and I bet they didn’t do it. Now it’s going to cost them what, about £1000 in parts, labour etc.