Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

aristo v300

cameraid

Hi

Have you had the clock converted? Or does it still run in KMH. Mine is set to 70 mph... i kind of like it like that as i know i wont go over the limit in cruise mode.

[Edited on 29-3-2002 by Administrator]

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The lexus V300 will operate in a similar manner to the Supra TT.

I've designed a speedo converter that scales the signals appropriately.....

Jap (Grey import) Supras are also limited to 70MPH cruise and 112mph top speed but my box (and careful wiring!!!) can remove the top speed limiter, increase the cruise control to 112MPH and also scale the KPH speedo into MPH.

This works for many many vehicles and has been used on different import models in the past.

Check out

http://www.trlperformance.com/dsc.html

All I need is a volunteer and I'll *fit* it for free.

I'm in the Midlands

Regards

Pete

All I need is a volunteer and I'll *fit* it for free.

If it's a grey import and you can make it to Kenilworth in Warwickshire one weekend then yes.

What model is it?

Pete

ps. can you email me direct about my products please at peter@trlperformance.com, I've been asked to stop advertising. Ta.

I also have an imported Aristo, lovely motors, goes well too!!!. I had my clock converted but was told that sometimes the onboard speedo ??? has a limiter fitted. I was lucky, mine will sit at 140 on a track without any problems and can still use the cruise control - not advisable but can use it.:eyes:

I had my clock converted but was told that sometimes the onboard speedo ??? has a limiter fitted.

Generally the speed limiter is a software feature of the engine control unit and not limited by the speedometer, this is just a visual display unit and not a controlling unit.

Most delimiting systems out their either take a copy of the ECU software on EPROM and modify the thresholds for speed and then replace the EPROM (chipping)

Other systems clamp the maximum frequency of the speed sensor entering the ECU and fool the ECU into thinking it never exceeds the threshold, this uses an in-line (serial) box to do the conversion.

Both have advantages and disadvantages.

Generally with many automotive systems the speed signal is *distributed* from a central point.

For the Lexus, Toyota, Nissan (many Jap cars) range this is generally done within the speedometer head or the odometer unit. As they are the first units to come in contact with the signal from the gearbox speed sensor.

Converting just the input signal by 5/8ths to get MPH from a KPH signal is sometimes fraught with problems as power assisted steering, cruise and auto gearboxes are often affected (as these all rely on REAL speed to function correctly)

But sometimes it's an advantage, cruise range increased for example.

The biggest mistake (or shortcut) importers make is not to take account of this and just blindly modify the signals without thinking where they go.

This is why I decided to work out what the signals were doing and why and how I ended up designing and selling my own converters.

Pete

Peter@trlperformance.com

Could this converstion that was done on mine to change from KPH to MPH affect the running of the engine, I have noticed that one of the coil packs may be falling over but not all the time through. It sometimes causes the engine to slightly stutter when it changes gear.

I'm also interested in having the converter on my Aristo V300 Vertex I currently have 'replaced'.

I believe it to be the cause of some intermittant 'electrical problems' (see other post). My car is also de-limited although cruise is still limited to 70Mph.

I would not undertake this work myself but would be interested in a unit which is proven to work and could be fitted by someone who knows what they're doing.

I doubt it would affect the engine firing but it would/could affect the auto-gearbox changes as this is mapped with respect to engine load, speed and rpm so altering the speed will move the gear changing into the wrong section of the map.

I noticed my gearbox wasn't as crisp as it should have been until I sorted out the signals and now it's really quick at changing when needed.

As for the coil packs. These can break down or become dislodged/loose.

So it might just be a case of replacing it or pushing it back onto the plug top again.

I had someone once who had a misfire at high RPM only to find out the coil pack wasn't seated properly.

The sure fire way of testing this would be to remove the converter temporarily and run as stock. Does the problem disappear? If so then it's the converter or the signals it converts that's the problem.

Might be easier to check the obvious like coil packs and low tension cables etc first.

Pete

I would not undertake this work myself but would be interested in a unit which is proven to work and could be fitted by someone who knows what they're doing.

I've certainly fitted stuff to cars and taken complete ECU/speedo units apart and refitted without any problem.

I've got signal generators, portable oscilloscopes and loads of test gear so I'm not at all phased by taking something apart to see how it works. You should see what I've done to mine and it's still working 100%.

Even when I finally get my own GS300 I'll be taking it apart just to see whats what.

Most of the problems with conversion is the correct wiring. A good solid converter box is also a key (some I've seem clock up miles when you are stood still!)

I did mine to have the original signal, 5/8ths scaled signal and a frequency clamped signal all in one plus I put in a +/- 10% user calibration function to enable you to correct for change in rolling radius of wheel, differential gearing or correct inaccuracies in the speedo generally.

It's all software programmable (in situ) so any mods or updates can be made to the car in the future. I can also make specific units to peoples spec (i.e. they have a spare output wire which could be used to trigger something at a certain speed or something)

Anyway, enough of my ranting.

If anyone is up in the Midlands area or fancies a journey I'd be more than happy to help out. Or I'll see you at Billing next month (I'll be on the Supra stand as well)

All details would then be posted on my site for all people to see, and use in the future. I don't believe in holding on to that sort of info.

Pete

Originally posted by norkep

One thing a have notice when next to another GS300 is that mine seems to be a good foot longer.

foot longer?..... whoah.. a stretch v300! my v300 vertex is the same length as the stock gs300 (mk2) ... where did you get that extra foot?.... or is it there to inpress the ladies? ;-)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links