Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

White residue on the engine bonnet catch

Hi

would appreciate if someone could help me identify what this is. Just noticed it this morning. It’s cold here in London. I popped my bonnet of my IS 250 to check screen wash level only to notice this white residue on the bonnet catch or lock. I am going on a long journey for the Christmas break, and am now worried about it. I thought it was a coolant leak and have checked that this is not the case. So I don’t know what it is. Thanks  

F97B93DB-2582-439D-8522-693F0EEF0739.jpeg

EA93C879-91FB-4CCB-820C-FBBBED07D405.jpeg

Hi Lucky, from the spray pattern I suspect it's grease/lube that was applied during a service.

My door hinges, bonnet catch, etc were all purple after my last service.

Is the residue oily?

Thanks for all the reply, it’s made me more at ease now. Not looking to spend more money in a garage at this time of the year. Well I learnt something new today as well. White grease. 😊

Thanks to everyone for the help and input. 

Nothing to worry about, in fact that's a sign someone has taken their time to do the last service properly. 

Many techs don't bother lubricating the hinges and catches which is a recommendation at each service.  Keep taking it back to whoever serviced it last! :smile: