Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I was just randomly browsing cars when I came around Lexus GS mk4 LED headlight. I remember GS concept and later Lexus boasting about them, but at the same time I haven't seen then ever on any car in real life. I know GS-F comes with something similar as a standard and now face-lifted GS for 2017 has it, but for 2012-2016 cars none of them on Autotrader has this Option...

5a3c36efdec52_LEDvsXenon.png.807872400cc4a3ff324f8d286914ca1a.png

Next-up I though there will be Lexus video comparing them side by side with Xenon option to justify extra price for the lights - but no no luck...

Does anybody have them or seen them in action - what are impressions? Are the lights in mk4 facelift/GS-F similar or maybe better?

That is actually good point, I have tried RC with LED... so I should know myself. The lights were "OK", but cannot say they were that much superior when compared Xenon.. however that is not fair comparison I guess as I have very bright aftermarket xenons. 

The black one with 3 lenses is LED and red on is Xenon.

So my guts feeling is that LED from factory is superior over any factory xenons and at least as good as best aftermarket xenons (obviously more energy efficient and longer lasting). 

My GS is fully equipped with LED, and  compared to my former GS with Xenon lights it works very well, with a very deep beam. As usual Lexus keeps low beam lights a bit too "low" but in this case it's justified to avoid dazzling to other vehicles. The automatic switching from low to high works well but only (as prescribed by low) over about 25 mph so sometimes I use in manual mode. Besides, my GS has also night  security pack with IR and camera monitoring on central screen, very effective , but Lexus dismissed it after 2015.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, NemesisUK said:

So in the black image which is (are) the LED lamps?

All.... As well I tend to believe even new (your) lights have lenses, it is just that your lenses are differently shaped and have those square reflectors.

Thanks @Zotto so in factory set-up LED wins hands down - any comparison with aftermarket Xenon (by which I mean xenon bulb in Xenon light, not fake Xenon conversion in halogen light)?

@Linas.P ,  I can't say "hands down" as I made my comparison with Xenon of 2008 GS, but  LEDs are fo sure an improvement, and virtually they last all the car's life. Aftermarket mods often are not so effective as  factory LED lights are studied with projectors (and they can have smaller dimensions and different shapes), while mounting a Xenon lamp at the place of a standard one  has the only advantage given from the better quantity of light Xenon lamps give because of their better energy performance.

Another important topic is the light temperature, a too much high K° temperature is nice but not so good for human eye sensitivity being too violet, better to stay on 4300 K° than 6000 K° , even if  at lower K° temp you have a more "yellowish" light.

So, changing from traditional to Xenon is an improvement, from Xenon to LED is an improvement too.

Last progress in LEDs in new high beams is the chance to keep them automatically ON excluding only in set of leds those ones that reach the crossing vehicles keeping high beam all around the street (this the new LS system).

Yes.. my point is that based on what you said factory LED on GS mk4 is superiour to factory Xenon of at least mk3 (but possibly mk4 as well). I have mk2 IS which basically has same xenons as mk3 GS... now based on my experience factory Xenon bulbs were yellowish (4200k) and when I upgraded them to Osram  XENARC COOL BLUE INTENSE (6000k) it was noticeable difference. Around the same time I tried RC300h with LED lights and difference between LED in RC and factory Xenon on IS mk2 was noticeable, but compared to Osram bulbs the difference was pretty negligible. What I am certain about LED was still much more concentrated and had much sharper "area of illumination" and much less of "feathering" around, which potentially means less dazzling for other drivers.

I guess take from this topic so far .... apparently Full-LED was already available on early GS models just very rare option in UK. The expectation is these LED lights should be equivalent to best Xenon bulbs available, yet should provide more concentrated sharper light and will last longer.

Anyone know how much they cost to replace is they go wrong? I cannot even find information of what bulb is used... seems like you need to replace whole headlamp (at cost of £1800) if one goes bang out of warranty...

The real issue is price at the moment, LED lights will be more and more used getting cheaper and with all advantages they offer compared to traditional ones.

It would be interesting to discover if leds are covered by warranty (I think yes as they don't geT blown like usual lamps).

@Zotto - they are covered by standard warranty (60k/5years) and with extended one up-to 140k miles or 10 years. After that it will be little bit unnerving to have them fitted I guess... 

You are right - they will last long time, I am more concerned about say faulty unit... and then if you could just replace the bulb.. even if that is £300 fine. But from what I have red so far it seems that you can only replace entire headlamp if one goes, that is applicable for GS mk4 2012-2016, not sure about RC and GS facelift. @NemesisUK maybe you can shed some light - how about single bulb/diode replacement - can it be done or would you need entire headlight?

1 hour ago, Linas.P said:

@Zotto - they are covered by standard warranty (60k/5years) and with extended one up-to 140k miles or 10 years. After that it will be little bit unnerving to have them fitted I guess... 

You are right - they will last long time, I am more concerned about say faulty unit... and then if you could just replace the bulb.. even if that is £300 fine. But from what I have red so far it seems that you can only replace entire headlamp if one goes, that is applicable for GS mk4 2012-2016, not sure about RC and GS facelift. @NemesisUK maybe you can shed some light - how about single bulb/diode replacement - can it be done or would you need entire headlight?

Lexus do sell the triple diode pack separately from the headlamp unit but to fit it one must remove the headlamp from the car (first removing the headlamp level motor) and then splitting the headlamp unit, removing the lens (which is bonded to the rear casing) and finally removing the triple diode pack. A long and drawn out procedure.