Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

RX 450 12v battery problem, reset electronic settings or not!

Having had the 12v Battery on my RX450h/2012/56k go flat, as car was sitting for an extended period, I successfully started (via power pack) and was happily driving as normal for the past 4 weeks until this evening. On returning to the car, I found it wouldn't start (flicking clicking dash) plus seat not moving into place on button push. I immediately suspected the Battery since the car hasn't been driven much this week, (nothing since Monday). I eventually got another power pack onto it and it started straight away (12v Battery will now be replaced ASAP) however,  before power pack, during my first few initial attempts to start, odd things were happening with the drivers window, not closing and later constantly going up and down.

Once I did get her started again, I closed the window and drove the car as normal and everything seemed fine, except on ignition off, the dash message is saying " do you want to keep the window open" which is wrong because all the windows were closed. I guess the system has now been messed up a bit and I wonder if anybody knows if I should, and indeed, how it's possible to reset the windows/electronics generally?

I am unsure if it will all resolve itself if I just keep driving or more problems might be coming down the line if I do absolutely nothing?

Can I ask is anybody actually using one of those Solar Panel trickle chargers on a RX450? does it work well and where do you connect it? I realise that I got this 12v Battery problem because I left the car sitting for long time when I was away this year. (2 year old batt) 

Incidentally, the Battery contact terminal in the fuse box under the hood is of the worst design I think that I have ever seen!  So tiny, you can hardly get the croc teeth onto it.  And the other metal pin is unmarked, I can't tell if it's a negative terminal or not. If I ever wanted to connect a charger, I doubt I could connect a standard trickle charger there, probably will have to lift the boot covers and go direct onto the 12v from there.    

Thanks in advance guys, I really got a fright today when I saw the dash clicking/flashing and driver window going a bit mental. I thought I had some kinda major electronics problem show up!!!

Very best to everybody 

william 

Hi William, sounds like you're having a tough time of it there.

Whacky windows are quite typical after the 12v has been disconnected or run down on your case.

Try a reset'g all the windows - ignition on/engine off, at each door/window panel, fully lower and fully raise each window. Lower/lift each switch until the winder motor cuts out, you may need to hold the switch a few secs after the window moves to its final position.

I hope this helps, good luck.

• 2 months later...

I haven’t got the solar type charger as yet. I see that their are two types available one with standard cig lighter and the other with OBD connector. No feedback from anybody in the forums on which might be best, however, it appresrs that both work. 

Meanwhile, the opening and closing of the Windows did not work. The drivers window is still out of kilter. I’m due a 60k service end of March so I’ll let them sort it out then. Meanwhile I’m away a lot so not driving the 450 much. I would sort it myself if it was possible but out of  ideas! 

Best. 

19 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

Not that it's a problem but you don't need anything that powerful for a hybrid as the battery won't be used for starting the engine. Something that provides around 10 amps would be enough.

I agree Colin. At the time we had the RX300, which is why I went for a powerful one but it's also good to have in order to maybe help other stranded folks with flat batteries too.

• Like 1

Comforting to know s'thing like this works all right just in case. Have a less powerful one myself, which I have used so far for a motorbike, but will give it a try when I'd need to. Think I prefer this over the solar charging option. Doesn't really answer your question William but hope you'll get yourself sorted while due for service.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links