andyb63

GS300 mk3 2005 - transmission issue and misfire

3rd gen GS300 with 98k miles has occasional rough idle on start up as though not running on all cylinders. It clears under load quickly and is very intermittent.  Car has been serviced and had new plugs about 6 months ago.   No fault codes showing up.

It also seems as though the transmission changes to a higher gear too early. i.e to 5th or 6th at around 1200 rpm at modest speed when it feels like it should hold it for longer.  No other problems with the transmission and changes seem smooth enough and works fine on sport/manual shift mode.

Seems more like electrical gremlins than mechanical. 

I have a got a slight blow on the exhaust at the very rear but I cant see that affecting transmission or idle at start up.

Any thoughts or obvious things to check. I am not familiar with the GS300 engine and it baffles me how a transmission fluid can be 'for life' and I cant check it.

Thanks 

Merry Christmas to all.

Not all trouble codes are displayed on the instrument panel. To eliminate all guess work, I would use the Techstream scanner, the Mongoose or the one used by Lexus.

Intermitent faults usually indicate bad contacts at the connectors. By removing and reconnecting the connectors a good contact is restored.

Never believe that anything in this real world lasts for life! My car's owner's manual states that the gearbox is sealed for life and no maintenance is required. However if you refer to Techdoc ( Lexus repair manual ) it specifies that the gearbox oil should be changed every 72 months or some 60 000 miles, I am not quite sure of the mileage but is around there.

Refer to Techdoc for your car and follow the directives. I would most certainly  change the oil with the recommended oil by the manufacturer and not by any other claimed to be superior, better etc.

I would also disonnect and reconnect all connectors to the gearbox. Also check any damage to the multicore cables pertaning to the gearbox and repair as necessary.

Moisture and water is the cause of all electrical and electronic equippment.

Kindest regards,

Chris.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Philben10
      Hi,
      RX400h 2008 65k miles
      Have an issue that the Lexus guys say they haven't seen before.
      When accelerating hard I get what feels like a misfire. If I continue to push hard the level of charge in the traction Battery starts to drop and shows empty withing 3-4 mins. No service or error lights show. 
      On a longer journey last month I did get a service light when I felt the misfire. Lexus did the diagnostics and reset and said it was cylinder 2 slight misfire. Strangely on the journey home the misfire appeared to have gone and the car accelerated cleanly to high speed. Great I thought, its sorted. Sadly not and after 2 days the problem is back. Car drives perfectly in all conditions other than hard acceleration.
      Lexus have checked all major components and cant find an issue, so have said to continue to drive and see if an error can be forced.
      Has anyone had a similar issue or any ideas? 
      Cheers
      Phil

• By GeoffBrown
      Hi All,
      I'm a new joiner and would like to know if anyone can help with this one;
      I bought an RX300 (2004) about a month ago. Everything's been running well and I've covered about 300 miles so far with no gearbox problems.
      Before I put it into my local garage for a full service 2 days ago, I checked the engine oil and gearbox fluid levels.
      Both were fine and I noted that the gearbox fluid level was at the max mark. Following the service, on a short drive the following day, I noticed the usual 'kangaroo' effect that you get when the gearbox fluid level's low so I checked it. It was at the 'min' mark. I called the garage (thinking that they must have changed it but not filled it up enough). They informed me that they only checked the level on the service and didn't change the ATF. They told me that the level was ok when they checked it. We arranged that I take it back today for them to look at. This I've now done, and the mechanic noticed the 'kangaroo' effect when he drove it into the inspection bay. On checking the level, he couldn't see any fluid level! He's topped it off with about 2 pints of ATF and it's now just below the max mark. I'll be keeping an eye on it over the next few days. I've got no leak marks on my driveway and no smoking or smells when driving. Where's the ATF been going to? Any suggestions? TIA
    • By Soulfiremage
      Can anyone point me to assistance on this error on my mates ls600hl please?
      Hybrid control - 1U2/ hybrid control 2.0
      He's getting oil burning smell at high acceleration.
      Thanks for any help folks! 
    • By RobW
      It has been a while since my car was serviced so I did a few things.
      Changed air filter, oil and oil filter. Car runs lovely when first started and driven but if you stop and then restart (lets say for petrol) the car starts misfiring.
      Initially, it was cylinder 5 reported as misfiring, now it's 1,3 and 5 and a report of bank 2 running lean.
      I've swapped coils and plugs around but I still have the same problem.

Is it just coincidence this has happened since "service" or can they be related.?
    • By markbeama
      Hi All
      Hope you are well,
      I would be very grateful if you could help me, please,
      I own a 2000/W reg. is 200 with auto box
      I paid £800 for the car, and have the car for 6 months (probably the best / fun/ 6 months driving I have ever had)
      BAD NEWS
      My wife was driving my car (no that wasn't the bad news) and she stopped at a T junction when she came to pull away the car would not move, the engine was running well, but it was like car was in neutral when I arrived 1 hour later I started car and it was back to normal for 200 meters and then back to "being in neutral" The AA man who towed me home said "It looks like clutch "had gone"
      2 days, later I had to move car 100 yards, and it was fine again in forward and reverse,
      There have been no warning signs of clutch/gearbox problems,-----  burning smells,crunching noises, struggling on hills,
      Also the engine management light was on when car was "in neutral"
      I have heard stories of £1500 - £2000 for clutch and gearbox work, but even though I love my little Lexus, I would not pay this on a car that is now worth £400 - £500,
      As anybody got any ideas what this could be ?,
      I don't want to be patronised by the half wit at the scrap yard offering me £40 for my pride and joy and then tell me he would not make anything on it then sell 1 leather/heated/electric seat for £80,
      to then drive off in is 6 series Beama (sorry to go of course a bit, but they really do frustrate me).
      I don't want to scrap car if it was be a small issue costing only a few hundred pound.
      Any help would be gratefully appreciated
      Regards
      Mark