Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

The AA badge an unnecessary appendage - surely?  - and detracts from the beauty of the front of the Car.
The number plate prevents viewing the history as not recognised by DVLA

One of similar colour on eBay the seller in Ipswich a couple of years ago with about fifty photo's failed to reach £2k and withdrawn.

3 hours ago, Chasdad said:

to be honest i don't think its worth half that. would have to have half those miles

Its a 1998 & got 102k miles, 102k miles is barely run in for one of these. If the history he says is correct it seems very good buy subject to test drive

51 minutes ago, dendonc said:

Its a 1998 & got 102k miles, 102k miles is barely run in for one of these. If the history he says is correct it seems very good buy subject to test drive

for the engine maybe, but not the suspension components unless they have been changed at least once in the life of the vehicle.

57 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

for the engine maybe, but not the suspension components unless they have been changed at least once in the life of the vehicle.

Where is that information? the car does not come up on a DVLA history check, & that info is not in the add!

It's 19 years old and has over 100k miles - all the shocks and rubbers will be long past their best. It mentions some suspension parts have been replaced, but which ones and was it only because they got to a point of being unsafe rather than routinely replacing parts that are no longer optimal?

Mine is a 1994 model now at around 90,000 miles and during my owner ship since 2006 ( the initial 12 being in Japan) I have replaced one front UCA damaged by a UK pot hole, both front lower ball joints and recently both rear springs after the passenger side broke whilst stood in a hotel car park.

I have never had an advisory for any other suspension component.

Perhaps mine is a little biased in that it spent its early life in a salt free kinder climate and on average covers less than 3000 miles a year but shows the suspension can last a long time if driven gently and road conditions are taken into account.

Mine also receives a yearly underbody and wheel arch wash after every winter and is kept garaged but not heated.

I have also seen some right nails even newer models so each one needs to be fully accessed before a potential purchase is made, I always remember a 2000 year Celsior being offered by a dealer, not only was it absolutely filthy inside with moss growing on the roof lines but you could not see the air suspension components due to the layer of mud in the arches. When questioned the dealer was selling it for a golfing mate of his, I asked if he used it as a buggy on the course to which he replied “Tou obviously know more about cars than I do” As I walked away I gave a wry smile and said...Yes I probably do and good luck selling it because it won’t be me doing so.

1 hour ago, steve2006 said:

I always remember a 2000 year Celsior

I did not know the Celisior was made in 2000 or that it ever had air suspension, are you sure it was a Celisior?

Neither do I know (never read anywhere) that the Celisior was 'not' made in 2000 or that it did not  have air suspension, Ive only ever seen it mentioned on here as a an early 1990's car without any ref to the suspension.

The LS430 is mentioned quite a bit as having probs with its air suspension.

Just to clarify the use and wear factor on the LS400,I have owned two of these cars the Mark1 which I owned for 14 years and was 20 years old when I sold it from 50k miles to 185k miles and my present Mark4 which I have owned five years and it was 19k on purchase and as now got 36 k on the clock and is 20 years old next November.

I have spent  nothing replacing parts on the Mark 4 and it passed its last Mot as it did all the others with flying colours.

I replaced all the control arms on the Mark 1 no drive components and no engine parts apart from the coolant temprature sensor. The exhaust Y pipe flanges needed welding the last year I owned it.

The springs did not fail but the bushes on the shocks were worn at the bottom .

The obvious factor here is usage but the mark 4 had a better and improved suspension it has not rusted in the places the mark 1 did and overall it is a much improved vehicle than the series 1.

In summary comparing the two, experience shows that mileage is a greater factor than any other and care of the vehicle both in driving and servicing will prolong its condition .

There are members who believe that low mileage examples can be a problem for lack of use and don't subscribe to the fact they should have a premium price on resale,I disagree having had 25 years of experience of these cars my advice is when looking for a purchase keep the mileage factor as the number one priority .

• Like 1

15 hours ago, dendonc said:

I did not know the Celisior was made in 2000 or that it ever had air suspension, are you sure it was a Celisior?

Neither do I know (never read anywhere) that the Celisior was 'not' made in 2000 or that it did not  have air suspension, Ive only ever seen it mentioned on here as a an early 1990's car without any ref to the suspension.

The LS430 is mentioned quite a bit as having probs with its air suspension.

The brand name “Lexus” was not used in Japan until quite recently and all models were Toyota badged “Celsior” including the LS430 models.

Air suspension was also an option I believe on all Celsiors from launch in 1989, the 1994 Celsior I had until recently was on air suspension and even had Sat Nav.

Additionally the Celsior models had 4 levels of specification A,B,C and C-F the latter being the top model with reclining and massage rear seats and rear entertainment console including a Walkman cassette player in the rear armrest.

• Like 1

There are still plenty of good examples out there to buy but now mainly in Japan but these cars are generally well maintained ( my own car was a Japanese company director’s car) and you have to pay for transportation and UK registration but these can still be good bargains.

Have a look at the listings on the link below bearing in mind we are talking kilometers not miles, especially the 50,000 mile equivalent 1992 model at $1700.00 (remember the similar one on eBay for £7500.00!)

https://www.tradecarview.com/used_car/toyota/celsior/

Longevity of parts on these legendary Ls400s ........................... now on 202 k miles and still running on the original offside front and rear UCAs and 3 original springs ..........  bloody marvellous :wub:

Malc

53 minutes ago, steve2006 said:

There are still plenty of good examples out there to buy but now mainly in Japan but these cars are generally well maintained ( my own car was a Japanese company director’s car) and you have to pay for transportation and UK registration but these can still be good bargains.

Have a look at the listings on the link below bearing in mind we are talking kilometers not miles, especially the 50,000 mile equivalent 1992 model at $1700.00 (remember the similar one on ebay for £7500.00!)

https://www.tradecarview.com/used_car/toyota/celsior/

You make a good point when considering the price of the car on eBay referred to by messi. I've often thought that if you are serious about getting a nice example (me, one day, permitting), a late model UCF20 Celsior from Japan would be a good bet (but the type B model without air suspension and Jap sat nav; ok, you lose the rear seat package but gain peace of mind.) Different diff ratio but you could swap a UK diff into it.  

5 hours ago, steve2006 said:

The brand name “Lexus” was not used in Japan until quite recently and all models were Toyota badged “Celsior” including the LS430 models

OK thanks, I never knew that

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links