Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

As I'm thinking of buying a GS300 (not a hybrid) I'd appreciate some pointers on what to look out for. Unlike the LS, should I be concerned about mileage?

I'm thinking of an 06 or there about.  Are they all auto? Thanks

I have a Hybrid so most of my experience is not relevant but you should watch for leaky shock absorbers & seized rear brake calipers. 

BTW many people won't buy the Hybrid because of the CVT. If this is the case, don't worry, it's awesome.

5 minutes ago, AmbroseJohn said:

I have a Hybrid so most of my experience is not relevant but you should watch for leaky shock absorbers & seized rear brake calipers. 

BTW many people won't buy the Hybrid because of the CVT. If this is the case, don't worry, it's awesome.

What is CVT?

Thanks gents.  The transmission sounds like the one from the awful old Daf cars!! Wasn't that CVT?

They seem good value, although the higher tax may put some off.  There are a few around so after Christmas I'll do some searching.  I'll post them up for your opinions.

Also look out for:

1. Leaking exhausts: The whole system seems to corrode quite rapidly especially the back boxes. OE ones are just as bad and fail with remarkable speed despite costing a rather silly amount. I went with a stainless steel replacement courtesy of TonyBanks up in Leeds like a few other folk on here have. Talking around £500ish for a cat-back system.

2. Uneven tyre wear: Get this checked ASAP. Again, didn't bother with the main dealer as they would set it up like factory. This I found causes the insides to wear very rapidly. Went onto 'blackboots' and found a recommended place fairly local to me that sorted this. £50-70 well spent IMO.

3. Nav differences: The newer higher-res screens were offered *I think* after 2006.

4. Reverse parking guide-lines: These randomly appeared/disappeared/appeared again depending on model year. I really wanted these so look out for them if you find they are important to you.

5. Corrosion: I saw lots that had rust on the leading edge of the bonnet.

It's a fab car...but it has left me a little 'cold' (a post of mine here). I'm still finding myself constantly looking for a change despite it continuing to prove totally brilliant! Still has a service plan with Lexus and I took out the extended Lexus warranty too. Yet on the look out :(

I've never had any of those issues with both gs300 I had, but I did have the rusty bonnet that lexus replaced free under the 12 year paint and rust warranty on both gs300's

52 minutes ago, Normski said:

Also look out for:

1. Leaking exhausts: The whole system seems to corrode quite rapidly especially the back boxes. OE ones are just as bad and fail with remarkable speed despite costing a rather silly amount. I went with a stainless steel replacement courtesy of TonyBanks up in Leeds like a few other folk on here have. Talking around £500ish for a cat-back system.

2. Uneven tyre wear: Get this checked ASAP. Again, didn't bother with the main dealer as they would set it up like factory. This I found causes the insides to wear very rapidly. Went onto 'blackboots' and found a recommended place fairly local to me that sorted this. £50-70 well spent IMO.

3. Nav differences: The newer higher-res screens were offered *I think* after 2006.

4. Reverse parking guide-lines: These randomly appeared/disappeared/appeared again depending on model year. I really wanted these so look out for them if you find they are important to you.

5. Corrosion: I saw lots that had rust on the leading edge of the bonnet.

It's a fab car...but it has left me a little 'cold' (a post of mine here). I'm still finding myself constantly looking for a change despite it continuing to prove totally brilliant! Still has a service plan with Lexus and I took out the extended Lexus warranty too. Yet on the look out :(

Thanks for all that, very interesting.

On 12/24/2017 at 10:03 PM, The-Acre said:

Thanks gents.  The transmission sounds like the one from the awful old Daf cars!! Wasn't that CVT?

They seem good value, although the higher tax may put some off.  There are a few around so after Christmas I'll do some searching.  I'll post them up for your opinions.

How much is the tax per Annum? It's €1545 here in Ireland. 

9 hours ago, Malachy said:

How much is the tax per Annum? It's €1545 here in Ireland. 

From what I can make out it's £520 for a non hybrid, but £320 for the earlier one (2005). Strange really considering my V8 which is 16 years old is only £270.

I had one until recently, bonnet was starting to bubble on leading edge. I was told was galvanic corrosion and not rust as the bonnet is aluminium. They came with 12 yr anti corrosion warranty so you may get lucky depending on model year. 

Corroded alloys every Lexus I have has suffered from this, wheel refurb about £70ish a corner so not too bad

TPMS.  The batteries in them are getting on a bit. I had to replace a couple although there is a way to remove the Battery from the sensor and replace even though it's a sealed unit.

Nice motors really good on fuel for what they are, found mine a bit dull though

Mk 2 ABS pump/unit was a known weakness but I presume that was dealt with in the last of the Mk 2s and I hope in the Mk3.

CVT is continuously variable transmission not constant velocity which was a description of type of universal joint in which the input and output rotation speeds were the same regardless of the angle between the input and output shaft (up to a point). Used on front wheel drive cars.

The DAF CVT was indeed belt driven and was perhaps ahead of its time but the F1 Williams was not. Google "F1 CVT" for more.

John

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Prince Bob said:

Corroded alloys every Lexus I have has suffered from this, wheel refurb about £70ish a corner so not too bad

£140 per set at Tillings Preston. Good job too, just had mine done. Removing the chrome trims can be a pain, so care must be taken.

P1020530E1.jpg

6 hours ago, The-Acre said:

It amazes me how many of these cars are photographed for sale without the leather and carpets being cleaned. Mine is the same year with 65K miles on it and it's a lot cleaner inside than that one. Some of them are too lazy and don't deserve a sale.

• Haha 1