Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Gen4rx450h cleaning dash, what can I use on it?

Hi all gen 4 rx450h owners

when I brought the car from lexus they told me to just wipe with a clean micro fibre cloth very lightly.

which we have been doing but there are a few light scuff marks where the kids throw there bags in from school by the passenger front compartment glove box.

i haven't tried anything on it at all yet, just wanted to ask other owners with same dash as it easily marks.

also while I'm on the cleaning theme I use Autoglym Leather cleaner on the car front seats but sadly it's not very good at removing the blue dye off them from our jeans, so before I try anything else, what do you use to remove the blue dye.

many thanks and seasons greetings 

paul

You don't need anything more than a damp microfibre for the dash. 

For the seats I use Dodo Juice supernatural leather cleaner and sealant kit. I'm not surprised Autoglym leather cleaner didn't work well, it's a weak leather cleaner and more suited for monthly maintenance. I cba and rather do it once a year with a stronger product but admittedly, red seats don't get as bad as white ones.

The best way to keep dye stains away is sealing the leather and it's much easier to clean off. 

The problem with dye is its dye. It's designed to dye things so if left on for too long it'll be permanent.

7 hours ago, goody said:

Many thanks for the advice 

ill order some of that dodo cleaner/sealant shortly 

If you really want to clean your dash and door panel leather, you may use the dodo juice leather cleaner on there. It's also a vinyl cleaner

unless someone has tried it and has been successful cleaning the dash with chemicals I'm not prepared to risk it at the moment.

It would be good to hear from others on the forum about how they clean there dash.

with my other cars I don't have to worry as not leather looking and with such a big area it could end up a disaster :-(

16 hours ago, goody said:

unless someone has tried it and has been successful cleaning the dash with chemicals I'm not prepared to risk it at the moment.

It would be good to hear from others on the forum about how they clean there dash.

with my other cars I don't have to worry as not leather looking and with such a big area it could end up a disaster :-(

Can't recall whether the dash is real leather or synthetic. Either way doesn't make a difference. The dodo juice will be fine. 

It doesn't get dirty though like seats so damp MF is all you need  or weak solution of APC.

On 27/12/2017 at 2:30 PM, goody said:

there are a few light scuff marks where the kids throw there bags in from school by the passenger front compartment glove box.

i haven't tried anything on it at all yet, just wanted to ask other owners with same dash as it easily marks.

7 minutes ago, rayaans said:

It doesn't get dirty though like seats so damp MF is all you need  or weak solution of APC.

What would you use to treat/minimise the scuff marks Paul is asking about?

I don't have the same dash but I'm guessing the materials are the same on my RC dash and I use Meg's Quicker interior detailer spray for a general tidy up or de-dust. 

1 hour ago, NemesisUK said:

What would you use to treat/minimise the scuff marks Paul is asking about?

I don't have the same dash but I'm guessing the materials are the same on my RC dash and I use Meg's Quicker interior detailer spray for a general tidy up or de-dust. 

The dash is leather or synthetic. The glove box is plastic and similiar to the one in the IS so probably the same as in the RC but it doesn't tend to scuff as easily.

Ive tried dressings both silicone and water based and the silicone one tends to mask it better. I then wipe it down with an MF so it's not shiny. 

I used autosmart highstyle so presume something like Meguiars endurance gel for tyres would also work just as well. 

Only problem with Silicone loaded ones are that they attract dust. 

I've got fed up with one scuff in the IS glove box (the only one which makes it worse) and tbh I don't tend to use any dressings on it because it doesn't make a huge lot of difference. 

I've found damp MF helps to keep the dash matt rather than shiny or with a sheen and it lifts dirt well enough.

• Like 1