Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

D4S versus D4R bulbs

Guest bigbullhead

Guest bigbullhead

What the differences between a D4S and a D4R and is one better than the other I have bought the D4S 5300K from Osram and am slightly disappointed with the beam,also can you fit them incorrect? And also anybody else found what is best and recommend for this bulb replacement

41 minutes ago, bigbullhead said:

What the differences between a D4S and a D4R and is one better than the other I have bought the D4S 5300K from Osram and am slightly disappointed with the beam,also can you fit them incorrect? And also anybody else found what is best and recommend for this bulb replacement

D4R bulbs are designed for reflector headlights. D4S bulbs are designed for headlights with glass magnifying headlamps. They should not be interchanged as this will destroy the beam pattern, and dazzle oncoming drivers.

Have the height of the beams set by your local garage to the highest legal setting. Lexus seem to set the lights at the lowest setting.

John.

12 hours ago, bigbullhead said:

Is there a way to fit them or do they go only in one way 

The bulbs only go in one way, but must be seated properly. There are two wire clips that hold the bulbs in place, and these can be a real pain to get into place correctly. I do not know what the IS is like for access, but if other models are anything to go by they will be difficult bordering on impossible to get at or even see.

John. 

Does this shed any light on the subject ( Haaa see what I done there!!!)

"There is a few things you should do but I'm not going to" usually rings alarm bells for me but the vid shows the act of removing the lamps quite well!

paul M.

Just to extend this informative thread, what is the difference between the D4S and the D2S bulbs? Britprius, I understand you changed to D2S from D4S. Could you say why please? (Resisted the temptation to say enlig.....)

John

2 minutes ago, OldTrout said:

Just to extend this informative thread, what is the difference between the D4S and the D2S bulbs? Britprius, I understand you changed to D2S from D4S. Could you say why please? (Resisted the temptation to say enlig.....)

John

D2S bulbs run slightly brighter than D4S, but the real bonus is that D2S are also available in a 55watt version giving even more light, but the correct beam pattern against the 35 watts of D4S. The downside is that you must also change the ballasts to ones suitable for D2S bulbs as the running voltages are different.

John.

Many thanks John.

A Christmas journey in the wet and dark mainly on the M40 was unpleasant. It would have been worse on ordinary roads. I don't often drive at night but when I do my dipped lights seem inadequate. I understand your changes now.

John

On 28/12/2017 at 8:14 PM, Britprius said:

The downside is that you must also change the ballasts to ones suitable for D2S bulbs as the running voltages are different.

John.

At the risk of sounding ignorant John what are the ballasts?

1 hour ago, Ala Larj said:

At the risk of sounding ignorant John what are the ballasts?

This is a power supply unit usually mounted in the bottom of the headlamp that produces from the car Battery 12 volt supply around 25,000 volts to strike an ark inside the HID (high intensity discharge) bulb "rather like a spark plug". Once this ark is established the gasses in the bulb become ironised, and conduct electricity, and the voltage required to keep the bulb alight drops to around 80 volts for D4 bulbs, and around half that for D2 bulbs.

The ballast can give you a rely nasty electric shock that can even be lethal particularly if no bulb is in circuit whilst turned on. A voltage of 25,000 can jump an inch gap so you do not even have to touch the wire to get a shock.

John 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links