Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Heavy Steering

I am certain the steering on my IS has become heavy.

I reported this at my 50k service a few months ago, and was told that the service guys felt it was OK.

I asked my father to try the car last night, and he also feels the steering is heavy.

So - I am going to ring Lexus Chester and try and get the car booked in to be looked at.

Before I do this though- wanted a little bit of help from you guys as I would like to know what the possible causes could be, so that if I get the "feels fine to me" answer again, I can at least ask if they have checked the various possible problem areas.

Car is an '02 IS200 with (currently) 55k on the clock.

suspension / steering setup is standard, except for the springs which are a set of Eibach's.

appreciate any help you guys can offer ;)

Matt i think the p/steering belt is the one that runs at the lowest point,if you look between the engine and radiator its the one right in the corner on the bottom left hand side.If all belts(3) are still intact its unusual that it will be loose.

Is that the boy Fargos motor.....damn thing is everywhere :lol::lol:

Power steering canister, has levels on it

If you have lost the belt, do worry you would soon know the difference between PAS working and not working, you would not be able to turn the steering and if the belt was slipping it would whine more than normal, especaially on a lock, same if's it low on oil,

When you check the oil level remove the cap and check the oil has not turned black, this normally a sign that the seals have gone or about to

if your steering has got heavy and the following is OK

Tyre Pressures

Oil Level OK (PAS Oil doesn't normally need changing)

colour of the oil should not be black

Pump not whineing (loudly)

The only other thing it could be is the pressure valve in the system, if it is this then normally the pump starts to whine because of the higher pressure.

The IS200 power steering fluid canister has 2 scales !!!!

Both show MIN and MAX, but one is for HOT and one for COLD!!!! :o

Check the engine and fluid condition, after or before driving..... ;)

The fluid is something like the brake fluid.... meaning it sucks water time after time and when it gets warm it makes steam and you will loose response.

Also when you have enough fluid.... before you waste money on any expensive repair I would exchange the fluid into a new fluid.... :winky:

And let's hope it's covered by the warranty.

Not everything is covered.....  :unsure:

The new car warranty is very good. Not heard of much that isn't covered. It's the used car warranty that has exclusions.

Yes I think so..... :)

Thanks for all your suggestions guys - I appreciate it :D

Those of you suggesting power steering fluid level can probably roll your eyes at me now - I would guess this is the issue.

Have just been down to the car and checked - and the fluid is marginally above the min line.

This is with the car stone cold, albeit on a slight angle (front will be slightly higher than rear).

Now we seem to have a likely suspect - the second round of questions begin :lol::lol:

This is also where I ask very embarassing questions that truely reveal how little I know about engines - please bear with me :blush:

If I need more fluid - do I top it up, or should it all be flushed out and replaced? :unsure:

It does appear to be blackish from the outside - but to be honest, on the rare occasion I have had the bonnet up, it has always been this colour (iirc).

If I can simply top it up, then;

1 - Pete says the Auto trans fluid is dexron 2 or 3. Mine is a manual transmission - does this need a different type of fluid?

2 - is dexron a type of fluid or a brand?

3 -what is the difference between dexron 2 and 3? which is recommended for the IS?

4 - Can I simply walk into Halfords or such and buy a can? If so - what sort of price should I be looking at? (I don't mind if it is expensive, if its needed, I'll buy it - just have an allegic reaction to being ripped off)

more stupid questions will more than likely follow!

thanks again for all your help guys :winky: